Master Plumbing Test? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree27Likes

Old 02-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #1

View Temu Chechu's Photo Album My Photos
Default Master Plumbing Test?

I live in Minnesota. We use the Iampo code. I'm trying to find out what is on the Master Plumbing test so I can study for it. I heard there is a business law related part? I sent an email to a person at the Dept of Labor asking this question. She said there is no business law questions and that it's basically the plumbing code book plus "drawings." Does anybody know more about this? I would like to practice/study whatever it is. Thanks
Temu Chechu is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

you state that you are a union journeyman, so wouldnt the union have what you need to take the masters test?
Tommy plumber (03-06-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
3rd year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos

Despite the asshanding that you are about to get, the woman was right. What do we need to study that will be on the test? The code, obviously. Did you really get to be a journeyman without understanding this blatent, obvious fact? Is it not common sense that if they told us what is on the test, then it wouldn't be very much of a, well, TEST of what we know? We should have and be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of the code. We don't have to know it all by heart, but must have a good familiarity with it, most of the basic concepts it contains, and also how to interpret it and which sections to research when we do run into a situation with which we are unfamiliar. Honestly does anyone beyond a 1st year apprentice in his first week of school really need that explained to him?
Tommy plumber (03-06-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #4

View Temu Chechu's Photo Album My Photos

Yes I am in a union. Good call recommending the union would have study materials. I guess I've been squeamish to mention to the union I would like to go out on my own, thinking it was a union vs non union thing. But as I think about it, they get their funding from the monthly dues of their members, so if I keep paying those dues, it shouldn't matter to them?
To the 3rd year apprentice: I do know the plumbing code book thoroughly. When attending union school they prepare you to take the state journeyman exam and they say it's based on the plumbing code book.
They also say there is a separate "city test license" you must pass in order to work in Minneapolis, this test includes gas pipe sizing and I purchased a separate textbook for this.
They don't discuss the masters test, I guess because so few people are interested in it? I don't know, it's just not discussed. Whereas the other 2 tests are discussed ALOT in school. I have looked up this issue on this site and other places on the net and I've found some talk that there are "business law" questions, and I've also come across talk there is a lot of isometric drawings, nothing too definitive, where I would know what it is I have to study that's different than the state and city tests. This is why I was asking the question "what is on the masters test?"
dhal22 and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Temu Chechu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:47 PM   #5

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos

You could ask you employer, assuming he's taken the test.
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Plumbus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:09 PM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temu Chechu View Post
I live in Minnesota. We use the Iampo code. I'm trying to find out what is on the Master Plumbing test so I can study for it. I heard there is a business law related part? I sent an email to a person at the Dept of Labor asking this question. She said there is no business law questions and that it's basically the plumbing code book plus "drawings." Does anybody know more about this? I would like to practice/study whatever it is. Thanks

you can do what I did..read and learn the code book for the test..then forget most of it by the next day...
skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #7
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
you can do what I did..read and learn the code book for the test..then forget most of it by the next day...
What I did was get it on tapes and Listen all the time between jobs in my truck and at home going to bed
[email protected]
MACPLUMB777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #8

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACPLUMB777 View Post
What I did was get it on tapes and Listen all the time between jobs in my truck and at home going to bed
And read the study books at lunch, at a traffic light, on the porta John..........
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:36 PM   #9

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos

You mean IAPMO, right?
jeffreyplumber (03-07-2020), Tommy plumber (03-06-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 12:09 AM   #10
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos

INTERNATIONAL PLUMBING CODE AS OPPOSED TO THE
UNIFORM PLUMBING CODE,
When you get east of the Rockies it is used in most States

In TEXAS for example they use both codes, but mainly the UPC
[email protected]

Last edited by MACPLUMB777; 03-04-2020 at 12:11 AM..
MACPLUMB777 is online now   Reply With Quote