Interesting short conversation with my Master today. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree52Likes

Old 09-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default Interesting short conversation with my Master today.

He wants to sell, and health wise, needs to. Iíve said this before. He now has an offer of $50k cash up front and probably three months until the buyer gets his masterís license and contractors license. Iím sure there will be other stipulations.

My Master mentioned buying my business, buying a jetter, one more truck, and basically own a drain cleaning business with me as his employee?

I definitely have some terms! Iím on the fence. There has to be one more competent guy I can train. We know one, but heís either going to work for the guy or work for his uncle in HVAC.

I want to keep my customers, and the ability to charge my price minus overhead.

Lots to think about.
Gargalaxy likes this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (09-16-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
He wants to sell, and health wise, needs to. Iíve said this before. He now has an offer of $50k cash up front and probably three months until the buyer gets his masterís license and contractors license. Iím sure there will be other stipulations.

My Master mentioned buying my business, buying a jetter, one more truck, and basically own a drain cleaning business with me as his employee?

I definitely have some terms! Iím on the fence. There has to be one more competent guy I can train. We know one, but heís either going to work for the guy or work for his uncle in HVAC.

I want to keep my customers, and the ability to charge my price minus overhead.

Lots to think about.

Do you have a license or are you the guy getting your masters in 3 months?

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

Do you have a license or are you the guy getting your masters in 3 months?

I own my drain cleaning company licensed and insured. I sub contract for my master as a laborer legally. Mostly I work for him because of our friendship. If it wasnít for me he couldnít replace a heater.
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2020, 08:33 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

I don't get it, the guy you work wants to sell his plumbing business so he can buy a drain cleaning business instead??? So what changes you are still the employee.

Then maybe a new guy buys your boss' business? You wrote something like it some time ago.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:42 PM   #5

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

I think it would be tough to go back to being an employee after running your own business. Even tougher being an employee in the business you built.

Possibly have him invest in your business as a minority owner so you still get to make all the decisions.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:46 PM   #6
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post
I think it would be tough to go back to being an employee after running your own business. Even tougher being an employee in the business you built.

Possibly have him invest in your business as a minority owner so you still get to make all the decisions.
Going into business with another guy is never a good idea, where I come from there's always 1 of the 2 who slacks off and cheats the other. Being a minority doesn't it make the other guy your boss and veto every idea you have?
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Going into business with another guy is never a good idea, where I come from there's always 1 of the 2 who slacks off and cheats the other. Being a minority doesn't it make the other guy your boss and veto every idea you have?
A lot of different ways to structure the partnership. OpenSights can have the guy be a silent partner where he has no say or structure it where OpenSights has final say being majority owner.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post
A lot of different ways to structure the partnership. OpenSights can have the guy be a silent partner where he has no say or structure it where OpenSights has final say being majority owner.
Also if his master canít lift a water heater by himself he sure as hell isnít going to be humping drain machines down basement stairs. OpenSights will still be doing all the work. Might as well have him be an investor only.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:55 PM   #9

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

I'm pretty sure you guys misunderstood it. Opensights boss wants to sell his plumbing business. His boss does NOT want to buy opensights draincleaning business.

Opensights boss had suggested to his potential buyer that the buyer could think about also buying opensights draincleaning business as well so he could basically between the two companies he would acquire have a full line of services to offer and therefore be up and running with 1 or 2 employees right away instead of buying only the plumbing business and basically just be a 1 man show.

Or maybe I probably misunderstood and his boss wants to buy his business and expand on it and just be the boss in the office and opensight the field guy.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
OpenSights and skoronesa like this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Dane For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #10

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos

Not being familiar with MI state law, I'm a bit confused. You have a business of your own but lack a master's License? You mention contractor's license. Does one need both a master's and contractor's license in your state?
Why don't you get your master's license and eliminate the need for another mouth to drink from your trough?
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote