Getting started doing double duty? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 03-27-2016, 08:03 PM   #1

View Kpwplumb's Photo Album My Photos
Default Getting started doing double duty?

Just curious have any of you guys started out working Nights / weekends while still holding down your regular job? I'm not talking side job off the books type stuff I mean you had your Corp, llc, or whatever you went with were licensed, bonded, and insured and doing both at the same time.
Other than probably being exhausted how did it work out?
I guess I'm just starting to just think about how I wanna Attack the plunge.

I have an llc started, have a business checking and cc account set up linked with square up ( accepts credit cards). Bought the company domain name and my buddy is building a webpage. A different friend who is a graphic designer is working on business cards, and mailers. Spoke with an insurance guy and he has my policy and bond on file ready to be signed as soon as I give the go ahead.

Guess I'm just debating going ahead with it all and trying to do both for a while.
I know some ( probably business owners) will not think its a good idea and would think my regular job would suffer.
Also I would not be stealing any work from my current company as I plan on doing service and light residential neither of which I do daily with my company.
My current owner also knows my intentions and has given me his blessing when I do leave. He also said I'd always have a job with him as long as he's in business.
Kpwplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kpwplumb For This Useful Post:

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

yes, when I first started out, I had my during the week working for a plumber and on the weekends and evenings I would do my work, as I became established and licensed, I worked part time for a plumber and part time for me, then I worked all for me...dont burn any bridges as you go and try to leave any old bosses happy..just in case...
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShtRnsdownhill For This Useful Post:
Kpwplumb (03-28-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #3

View Fatpat's Photo Album My Photos

I'm in the process and doing the same thing as you. Except I dont plan on leaving my Cush Govermemt Job, pension and insurance.
Fatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatpat For This Useful Post:
Kpwplumb (03-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2016, 02:57 AM   #4

View PlumberDave's Photo Album My Photos

I had no choice to keep the day job, the guy I partnered up with went whacky! I jumped in both feet. Knocking on apartment's, Angie's list deals, Red Beacon and calling in favors from everyone in my circle. Never missed a payment, hell now I am backing it down, stopped answering the phone after 9pm, turning down Saturday only stuff and not doing a thing on Sundays. It comes down to how bad do you want it?
PlumberDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PlumberDave For This Useful Post:
Kpwplumb (03-28-2016), Phat Cat (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 08:41 AM   #5
I Married Up

View plbgbiz's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpwplumb View Post
...I know some ( probably business owners) will not think its a good idea and would think my regular job would suffer...
Any business owner that thinks what you are doing is a bad idea is a hypocrite. Sounds like you are doing it above board to me.

Will your day gig suffer? Well duh...Of course it will. Your attention is divided. And even if you were not doing a night gig, your attention would still be divided. But yes, your day job will start to suffer from a technical standpoint eventually. Then you have to stand up on your own and make your business support you by itself. There is a limit to how long you should hold the coat tail of your employer and use him as the safety net for your business. Once you start actually taking plumbing work, you need to be close to making the jump.

It is fair for your employer to continue your training in plumbing and in the business of plumbing. It is also fair for him to support your decision to take on the role of a plumbing business operator. I believe it to be unfair of you to expect him to do both. Especially for any extended length of time. This issue is deeper than just whether or not you compete directly with him. It's the same old thing about being a big dog or staying on the porch.

I worked a full 40hr night shift at a hotel for the three years prior to starting my business. 90hrs a week. Was a very tough time, but youth can be very forgiving. Within a month or so of taking on plumbing jobs as a plumbing business operator, I was on my own.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to plbgbiz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2016, 09:23 AM   #6
Water Whisperer

View Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Nope, never did. Never stole from a employer, either. Showed up every day and did my best. When it was time, I had plenty of work to keep a roof over our head and food on the table.

Not sure what I would do to a employee that did that to me. Harshness would ensue, fer sure.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #7

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber View Post
Nope, never did. Never stole from a employer, either. Showed up every day and did my best. When it was time, I had plenty of work to keep a roof over our head and food on the table.

Not sure what I would do to a employee that did that to me. Harshness would ensue, fer sure.
If your upfront with your employer about your plans, everyone in business started at the bottom( well most of them)most are receptive to that, as long as your not a fk off when working for him, an honest days work for an honest days pay..most companies know how hard it is to find good workers, so again most will work with you..if not, then farewell to them..true the bigger companies wont have time for you, but in the end the trade benefits with more plumbers and we spend lots of time teaching newbies and expect down the road they will branch off on there own..every once in awhile I see a guy I worked for in the supply house, much older but still going and a friendly smile to them..
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShtRnsdownhill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #8

View truckman5000's Photo Album My Photos

What i did was established enough commercial customers, to keep 1- guy busy. Once that happened x2. ( this worked for me because 2 great friends of mine are plumbers).
Then i quit me full time job, after i had the establishments.

You cant do it alone, to make the big $$. If you have a good friend thats a plumber, a rich guy to be an investor ect..make sure everything is in contract. Join up with them, the problem is plumbing is a last min. service, if you cant be there you loose a customer.
truckman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
Water Whisperer

View Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
If your upfront with your employer about your plans, everyone in business started at the bottom( well most of them)most are receptive to that, as long as your not a fk off when working for him, an honest days work for an honest days pay..most companies know how hard it is to find good workers, so again most will work with you..if not, then farewell to them..true the bigger companies wont have time for you, but in the end the trade benefits with more plumbers and we spend lots of time teaching newbies and expect down the road they will branch off on there own..every once in awhile I see a guy I worked for in the supply house, much older but still going and a friendly smile to them..
So you are saying that I did it wrong? Maybe you're right and I should have let the boss know I'll be a direct competitor with him and that I'd try like all hell to get his customers over to me. I'm sure he would have taken that well. Probably given me a smiley face to validate my efforts to put the sob under.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:34 PM   #10
Former Moderator

View Phat Cat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpwplumb View Post
Guess I'm just debating going ahead with it all and trying to do both for a while.
I know some ( probably business owners) will not think its a good idea and would think my regular job would suffer.
Also I would not be stealing any work from my current company as I plan on doing service and light residential neither of which I do daily with my company.
My current owner also knows my intentions and has given me his blessing when I do leave. He also said I'd always have a job with him as long as he's in business.
I don't believe it's the best way to get started, but not because your day job will suffer. What will suffer is your ability to get your business up and running. Most business contacts and networking is done during business hours - which you won't have access to because they are promised to your employer.

Since he appears to really like you, there may be a better option.

What about getting everything in order - business cards, website, marketing plan, invoicing, accounting software etc. - and then start your business? Very few businesses take off overnight, so perhaps your employer would be willing to have you work part-time rather than full-time.

You would still have some income, and time o pursue your business during normal business hours. If more comes in than you can handle during your business days, schedule those calls for evenings and weekends until you are comfortable cutting ties from your employer.

Good luck! Just remember, you have to want it more than anything else. If you have to have guarantees, self-employment is probably not for you.
Kpwplumb (03-28-2016), plbgbiz (03-28-2016)