Flat rate break down (For elderly income taxes) - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By jnohs
  • 2 Post By jnohs
  • 2 Post By Tango
  • 1 Post By Turd Herder

Old 04-09-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default Flat rate break down (For elderly income taxes)

This morning I got a referral to work for an elderly woman replacing a kitchen faucet, A complete double sink drain repipe (no p-trap), leaking pex valve and had to replace the pop-up drain on the lav when it fell apart in my hands.

Now I I did flat rate on 4 items and she wanted a break down price for the materials because she says she can deduct it from her income taxes under elderly house maintenance or something of that nature. I'm not sure if it was for materials or service work.

I had already listed the parts I installed so I added them up and put a global amount.

Anyone run into this?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #2

View jnohs's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
This morning I got a referral to work for an elderly woman replacing a kitchen faucet, A complete double sink drain repipe (no p-trap), leaking pex valve and had to replace the pop-up drain on the lav when it fell apart in my hands.

Now I I did flat rate on 4 items and she wanted a break down price for the materials because she says she can deduct it from her income taxes under elderly house maintenance or something of that nature. I'm not sure if it was for materials or service work.

I had already listed the parts I installed so I added them up and put a global amount.

Anyone run into this?
l

Yah. Easy on the bottom write material are 10% of each item. Quick easy and with its simple. Sometimes when some 1says that they are annoying ****ers. But sometimes people are just trying to save money and need the materials price. So if they are cool and not annoying sure spend 3min writing materials cost for each item
Item 1 materials kitchen faucet and supply lines 139
Item 2 materials led valve 18
Item 3materials drain repipe 35
Item 4materials pop up assembly 35
Total——-228
Done I just did that in 3 min. And wasn’t that hers. Yah it is annoying. But if you see who the customer is and meet them where they are at you will see they are trying to get a check for 228$. And that is understandable.
Tango likes this.
jnohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:41 PM   #3

View jnohs's Photo Album My Photos

I usally tell people I can do that for the, once the job is done and I have received payment.
dhal22 and goeswiththeflow like this.
jnohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

I wasn't annoyed at all I made good money on that job even though I ended up eating 45 minutes with my flat rate.

I sat down at the dinner table with her while she was writing the check and I counted the parts I had installed and wrote the sum on the bill.

I wasn't in any hurry it was my only job today, I got home by 2:30 and took a nap with the cat.
Gargalaxy and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #5

View Turd Herder's Photo Album My Photos

Never heard of that deduction. We dont break the bills down.
dhal22 likes this.
Turd Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #6

View PlumbdogTim's Photo Album My Photos

Seems like she should be able to deduct the price of the plumber, too. Since she is writing off the material I would just make the material cost the majority of the bill and say I did the work for $10. Seems legit because she is writing off what she paid you for the material, not what you paid the supply house.

You could even say it's 100% for the material and the material comes with free professional installation when the customer purchases them from you.
PlumbdogTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbdogTim View Post
Seems like she should be able to deduct the price of the plumber, too. Since she is writing off the material I would just make the material cost the majority of the bill and say I did the work for $10. Seems legit because she is writing off what she paid you for the material, not what you paid the supply house.

You could even say it's 100% for the material and the material comes with free professional installation when the customer purchases them from you.
That would not be a good practice or work ethic because I have to submit my numbers for taxes at the end of the year. Then if anything comes up I'm in hot water with the association and taxes. It's probably fraud too....
Old 05-13-2018, 01:43 PM   #8

View PlumbdogTim's Photo Album My Photos

I don't really see what is fraudulent about it. I'm sure things are different up there in Canada though. Here in Texas people sell stuff with "free professional installation" all the time. Obviously the labor cost is cooked into the price and it seems legit.

I'm just shooting the breeze though. I'm not qualified to give any legal advice in Texas, much less Canada.
PlumbdogTim is offline   Reply With Quote