Finding Residential Service Plumbers - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MDservices

Old 12-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #1

View FranLand's Photo Album My Photos
Default Finding Residential Service Plumbers

I have posted a couple of other topics similar to this regarding what we offer to employees to see if it is inline with others. Here I just wanted to ask more on HOW other business owners are recruiting and reaching out to new employees.

So far, this is what I have done to try to get plumbers in the door to interview: (When looking for licensed employees - not apprentices to train.)
Got the contact list from the state board for all the licensed plumbers in the two counties we service and sent text messages with summary of now hiring info & link to the careers page on our site as well as sent postcards via mail. The list from state board does not include emails - so that is not an option. Of course, posted a job opening on Texas Workforce Commission & on Indeed. Did paid facebook hiring ads that show up to people in certain area/age group.

In past would put notices on the local suppliers wall board - but that didn't seem to generate much and there are tons of them on there. Have had supplier reps tell me how everyone is having the problem and that some of the companies have even offered the reps $$$ to send plumbers there way - never done this and not sure how I would feel about doing this.

Haven't paid for any of the job posting sites like monster, career builder, etc as they are expensive and of all the plumbers I have known, I don't see them actually using a tool like that to find a plumbing job. Also considered union but in my area (TO MY KNOWLEDGE), it seems that the majority of licensed union plumbers are not very experienced in residential service/repair as most companies that can afford to pay union are into new construction & commercial.

Has anyone tried other avenues to find & reach out to licensed plumbers directly? What has worked best? Thanks in advance for your input!
FranLand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FranLand For This Useful Post:
GAN (12-08-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #2
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

In Illinois we also have IAPMO (International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials), which may be a good source. You should have a division in your area.

I assume your Texas Board is similar to Illinois Employment Offices.

How about the ICC website, if you are a member I believe you can post job offerings.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #3

Thanks for this - will look into your suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #4

View 89plumbum's Photo Album My Photos

Do you give a hiring bonus for existing employees to bring in journeymen?
89plumbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89plumbum View Post
Do you give a hiring bonus for existing employees to bring in journeymen?
NO! I can't believe I have not thought of this - never heard this idea. Have seen hire on bonuses for NEW employees. Brilliant, thanks!!
Old 12-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #6

View MDservices's Photo Album My Photos

The companies I've worked for, some bigger ones, this is how it has worked...

Let's face it, it's easier to find a mediocre construction plumber than it is to find a great service plumber. Mediocracy can get by in new construction and sure it gets by in service as well but dealing with other trades and co-workers is different whereas a service guy represents your company and often does so while being ALONE!

Most of the hiring done from previous companies where from referrals.. the plumbing community is not HUGE.. most plumbers know OTHER plumbers and that's just how it goes, at least where I'm from. So our boss would usually say "If you refer a plumber and he works here for a minimum of 6 months, I'll give you 500$" .. both companies did that and it was great because if you like where you're working, you don't mind bringing in people you know etc, plus you get 500$. One company also offered the plumber that they hire 500$ towards tools/upgrades after 6 months of employment. That's a pretty good incentive and I always say that a good plumber takes pride in his work and probably has a tool problem... I've seen a lot of plumbers come and go while working for other companies and when they'd be in the yard setting up their truck the way they like it, whether they were messy trucks or not didn't matter, but if I saw the personal tools of that plumber and they were shytty tools, or long overdue to be changed or cheap knock-off brands, I knew this person cared about getting in and out and that's it... not what you want when looking for a service plumber.

Just my personal experience. Apprentices who take photos of their work and ask a lot of questions will be good plumbers.. plumbers who still take photos from time to time, or when you get together afterwards and you're exchanging plumbing stories etc, those are probably good plumbers!

Everyone on these forums probably care about their work.. whether they're good or not, that's a different story but the first step is caring! Good plumbers bleed a little bit of their plumbing life into their non-work life in some form or way.

Sharing is caring :P
plumberkc and FranLand like this.
MDservices is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MDservices For This Useful Post:
FranLand (12-09-2016), plbgbiz (12-11-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 07:56 PM   #7

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

I have used Monster/Indeed/Career Builder with success. Actually my wife did but she is an executive recruiter and does this for a living. Nice to have a free recruiter available. Not cheap but 2 of the master plumbers I have working for me found us that way.
My wife recruits people at times that earn $500,000 - $1,000,000 a year, she hates recruiting plumbers. Most plumbers don't have a resume or can't pass a background check or wonder why I require a license.....................
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhal22 For This Useful Post:
plbgbiz (12-11-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 09:45 PM   #8
mpm

View mpm's Photo Album My Photos

Fran,

We've done hiring bonuses which are paid 50% initial, 50% upon completion of a 90 probationary period. We also pay moving expenses. For mainland hires we reimburse $3500. Its a reimbursement, we need receipts. We've used HireMojo.
Honestly what we found that worked best was when we decided to create a great culture that's employee centric. It's an adaptation of the Disney model. This helped not only our customer service end but when our tech's are asked by other techs from different companies (in the supply house or around town) our tech's have nothing but good things to say. We've recruited a lot that way.

"Wealth is the product of man's capacity to think." - Ayn Rand

www.mauiplumbinginc.com
mpm is offline   Reply With Quote