Bidding - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 3 Post By jeffreyplumber
  • 3 Post By OpenSights
  • 2 Post By Tango
  • 3 Post By canuck92

Old 08-06-2020, 11:57 AM   #1

View Milesplbg's Photo Album My Photos
Default Bidding

So I know everyone kind of has their own "style" but how do you guys bid new construction work? In the past I've sat down with the prints for a day or so and drawn out how I think I'm going to run things ( never ends up that way) I'd do that for my dwv, water and gas. Then I would get a takeoff from my drawings add a fudge factor and send how many fixtures I need to a couple suppliers and let them add up their end. Then add markup and a rough guess for hours and be done. While I am getting work and profiting off the jobs I'd like to find a way to streamline the process, I've been playing with the idea of being able to get a fixture count and multiply that by about 1,500 to come up with my bid. How do you guys do it?
Milesplbg is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesplbg View Post
So I know everyone kind of has their own "style" but how do you guys bid new construction work? In the past I've sat down with the prints for a day or so and drawn out how I think I'm going to run things ( never ends up that way) I'd do that for my dwv, water and gas. Then I would get a takeoff from my drawings add a fudge factor and send how many fixtures I need to a couple suppliers and let them add up their end. Then add markup and a rough guess for hours and be done. While I am getting work and profiting off the jobs I'd like to find a way to streamline the process, I've been playing with the idea of being able to get a fixture count and multiply that by about 1,500 to come up with my bid. How do you guys do it?
in time you will figure it out..since cost of plumbing varies from area to area, what works for me may not for you...break it all down and do what your doing, after you do a few new houses you will know how long it takes you to rough a house in and then you can get better at pricing...in the end I price per fixture, for renovations its 1 price as all the main plumbing is in and im just adding to or changing out whats there, for a new house you have alot more plumbing and materials to get all the mains in and backflow devices and whatever other crap the governing municipality may want on a new house...but your gona have to put the time in and price what works for you, and dont under sell yourself..
Old 08-07-2020, 11:41 PM   #3

View jeffreyplumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milesplbg View Post
Im so out of touch with new home costruction Havent done a complete new home in many years but if you go with your old way and then count up your fixtures x 1500 and see where both prices are. take the higher or the lower price or split differance. I dont know if thats a good factor (1500 ) btw.
thats pretty much how I used to bid I would go 500 or 600 long time ago . then Id guess as to whether I thought it an easier house or more difficult possibly adding a bit more to job. Whichever way you choose when you start getting jobs take note of your final bid on those jobs and divide contract price by fixtures use that number as a tool in your future bidding.
jeffreyplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyplumber View Post
Im so out of touch with new home costruction Havent done a complete new home in many years but if you go with your old way and then count up your fixtures x 1500 and see where both prices are. take the higher or the lower price or split differance. I dont know if thats a good factor (1500 ) btw.
thats pretty much how I used to bid I would go 500 or 600 long time ago . then Id guess as to whether I thought it an easier house or more difficult possibly adding a bit more to job. Whichever way you choose when you start getting jobs take note of your final bid on those jobs and divide contract price by fixtures use that number as a tool in your future bidding.
Iíve never done new construction. Whole house gut fire jobs yes. We do $1700 per fixture. Heater, tub, lav, hose bib.... works out in the end.
skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I’ve never done new construction. Whole house gut fire jobs yes. We do $1700 per fixture. Heater, tub, lav, hose bib.... works out in the end.
For a reno, people expect 100$-150$ a fixture, I'm not joking! The new canaders are even worse, 3$ a fixture because they figure an hour total for a complete bathroom or non existent bathroom and the minimum wage is 13$ and since the pay cash it should be 9$/hr!
OpenSights and skoronesa like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (08-08-2020)
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM   #6
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos

I was going solid, 5 for 5 quotes landed last week.
This weekend though the people just gave me a blank stare like im off my meds.

Old house with a dirty crawl space.
Basically re-plumbing the main floor.

Adding two full bathrooms. A laundry room, kitchen.
Waterlines are galvanived i have to connect too. And to vent everything properly i have to drill a hole in the back yard and run it up past evstraugh

I said $5,300 he said wow an shook his head lol
I said well theres a lot of ****in around in your crawl space.and im going to vent it all propeely and run it up to the roof line an not put 8 cheater vents on like you seggusted.
ken53, skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote