Amazing Success? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Business Zone > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Like Tree27Likes

Old 03-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default Amazing Success?

I keep reading in both Plumber and Cleaner magazines the incredible success stories. Stories of one man shop that turns into a huge shop within a short period of time.

This one for example the guy in Indianapolis started out from his garage in 2011 doing only residential service, a year later he had to buy a 3 000 square foot building(unknown number of employees). 6 years later he bought an 11 000 square foot building and has 12 employees.

There must be an incredible demand for that? People don't diy their stuff? black market hacks are nonexistent? He's the only plumber in town? What makes it such a high demand they grow this big? The star must be aligned somehow or we aren't getting the full story?
Master Mark and Spacepirate like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I keep reading in both Plumber and Cleaner magazines the incredible success stories. Stories of one man shop that turns into a huge shop within a short period of time.

This one for example the guy in Indianapolis started out from his garage in 2011 doing only residential service, a year later he had to buy a 3 000 square foot building(unknown number of employees). 6 years later he bought an 11 000 square foot building and has 12 employees.

There must be an incredible demand for that? People don't diy their stuff? black market hacks are nonexistent? He's the only plumber in town? What makes it such a high demand they grow this big? The star must be aligned somehow or we aren't getting the full story?

most of those stories the owners found themselves( more like bought and bribed)for contracts with the town or county government todo work and have lots of business sent their way.. here is or was our corrupt county exec that got locked up just for stuff like that, almost every county building was renovated by his construction buddies and a food guy that got all the county contracts to supply food at parks and what not...he got pockets of cash and paid his friends with tax money..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Ke-yemHS8GVImA
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #3

View JohnnieSqueeze's Photo Album My Photos

and rapid growth is not good for business.

I think the more you educate yourself the better you do. If you believe in it.

thoughts actions feelings and beliefs held consistently and persistently towards a goal.

if you think plumbing all day and learn and learn you will attract more work.

its the law of the universe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skoronesa and Spacepirate like this.
JohnnieSqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2019, 12:14 AM   #4

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

I would like to add that even if you believe word for word what is written in those advertisements(yes, they are solely ads) then you still have to look at the statistical likelihood of any given family business being able to expand that much. These are the lucky few who had the right circumstances AND MONEY.

See, that's the rub, you need money to expand. There is a tipping point where your profit will suddenly be enough for you to qualify for loans or to make risks you couldn't before, until then it is slower growth. Most of those stories involve them moving into areas of business they weren't in before and using their already good brand recognition to get people to trust them in this new area that was also under served for some recent reason.

And of course there is advertising. We are the biggest and do no advertising. All word of mouth and the stickers we leave on appliances in basements. Every once in a while a new company will appear and get real hot real fast because they make a buzz and spend money on advertising. But the advertising they buy is too expensive to do long term and they get some customers and think they can just ride the wave. Then winter comes and their guys move slower or one of their three vans breaks and suddenly they can't catch the wax falling from all those burning candles.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
JohnnieSqueeze (03-10-2019), Tango (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #5

View Spacepirate's Photo Album My Photos

As others have said. You need to read between the lines. It's what they dont say in the articles that makes them the most money. On the other hand some people are hard workers and get lucky with demographics and posibbly plumbers retiring in an area leaving gaps for someone to fill. Plus some companies may seem like they make a lot but its possible some are just breaking even.

What i come away with on all of these articles is the drive to do the best i can everyday. Even when dealing with A-hole customers. Just keep working and charge what you think you are worth. It helps to have a lot of equipment and knowledge in a range of fields. Try to keep investing in tools that can make you more money. Some tools we thought we would never need or own only to end up buying them a short time later and making money off of them.
Constant reinvestment in your company is key to growth.
Spacepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spacepirate For This Useful Post:
JohnnieSqueeze (03-10-2019), Tango (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 10:06 AM   #6

View JohnnieSqueeze's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
I would like to add that even if you believe word for word what is written in those advertisements(yes, they are solely ads) then you still have to look at the statistical likelihood of any given family business being able to expand that much. These are the lucky few who had the right circumstances AND MONEY.

See, that's the rub, you need money to expand. There is a tipping point where your profit will suddenly be enough for you to qualify for loans or to make risks you couldn't before, until then it is slower growth. Most of those stories involve them moving into areas of business they weren't in before and using their already good brand recognition to get people to trust them in this new area that was also under served for some recent reason.

And of course there is advertising. We are the biggest and do no advertising. All word of mouth and the stickers we leave on appliances in basements. Every once in a while a new company will appear and get real hot real fast because they make a buzz and spend money on advertising. But the advertising they buy is too expensive to do long term and they get some customers and think they can just ride the wave. Then winter comes and their guys move slower or one of their three vans breaks and suddenly they can't catch the wax falling from all those burning candles.

its almost ALWAYS money!

my wifes boss built a business that nets 27 million a year he started with 400,000 cash startup capital. Thats almost half a million just to start!

Every plumber or contractor I meet that is huge or appears to be successful had major financial backing.

It is possible, if you have the balls, to take out a huge working capital loan, if you dont have to secure it personally, but in the name of the business. And spend it all on advert and startup. If it doesnt work, close the doors and walk away like our Great President Trump does.

BUT im not gonna do that.

Also a lot of businessmen start plumbing and electrical businesses. They do a lot better than we do as plumbers or start businesses.

For example if you understand numbers you will survive, easily hire 1 journey plumber to do the work, you dont have to know plumbing at all. You just know business.

Thats what we are up against. We need to learn and master the trade of business. The plumbing we already know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Master Mark, Tango and Spacepirate like this.
JohnnieSqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

So, Who is the genious in indianapolis supposed to be???

I got to see the article for myself.....and figure out who you are talking about ... Their are a few places I can think of that have made a big splash in this town over the past decade...

One guy in particular, spent a huge bundle to have 3x2 refrigerator magnets put on the front page of every yellow page book going out in the city.... my low guess would be 50k That was a smart idea to do this but over time those magnets get lost or thrown away...

I still got one on my file cabinet

Just because someone has gone big time does not mean he can
pay his bills on time either,
I know another place that had their guys take
their new 50k freightliner plumbing trucks home every night cause someone was trying to re-po them from the shop

I am soooo jealous...all that plumbing flash and glitter just makes my little head spin

please send me a link to this article

inquiring minds want to know

Tango likes this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
Tango (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #8
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post

So, Who is the genious in indianapolis supposed to be???

Oh that's right you are in Indianapolis! Maybe you will be able to provide a little more info into this success story.

For me being almost 2 years in bizz I haven't exploded into a bigger league, I also haven't gotten more calls, AND my google rank is now 6.9 and have top score by 3 time as much as the others. Maybe in a year or two I may get more calls but I don't know.

Ok found it online, I got the article in real mag from the mail. The company is L....D.... S.m.i.t.h...

https://www.cleaner.com/editorial/20...personal-touch
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

Where are you located in the country...??
I totally 100% concur with what you have said....

The Money is only half the problem..... the other half is the employees....
and their are other logistic factors that can make or break the back of the camel. downturns in the economy, slow times, taking a big loss on a job.......and even dumber things like not collecting or sending out the bills .

I watched a place called Canadas Plumbing go big time in our town in 2005 with brand new white freightliner deizel trucks..... YES they had the money,
the guys working for them I met were as crazy as bat shi/ ..

they made a big splash cause someone put up the money to back them.....
but by 2010 they were gone with the wind.. Someone else bought the number from the phone company before I could my greedy hands on it....

Their is another place in town that I cant name, that has made a big splash over the past 2 years, and thanks to them I have gotten some 5 star good reviews on google and Yelp, I came in after they quoted 1000 to put new parts in 2 toilets....and we took care of them for like 250..

I am watching their meteoric rise to the top right now and am wondering if they are gonna get sooo big and soooo high on inhaling their own fumes that they bounce off the ionosphere and come crashing back down to earth....
their guys all look pretty with the ear plugs and all the dressings that go with them......

We advertise very lightly here.... and just like you we have plastered our name in every house we walk into.. The stickers have really taken on a life of their own after 40 years.....

I got the money to get myself into huge debt ,,,
but I dont have the temperament to go through it all again...

just call it " tiny ball syndrome." ....

Tango likes this.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Oh that's right you are in Indianapolis! Maybe you will be able to provide a little more info into this success story.

For me being almost 2 years in bizz I haven't exploded into a bigger league, I also haven't gotten more calls, AND my google rank is now 6.9 and have top score by 3 time as much as the others. Maybe in a year or two I may get more calls but I don't know.

Ok found it online, I got the article in real mag from the mail. The company is L....D.... S.m.i.t.h...

https://www.cleaner.com/editorial/20...personal-touch

Thanks for the information.... he is ok but is not quite as big yet as they let on.... and he is not the guy I thought he was... He is smaller than the company that put out the magnets all over town.....

I occasionally see his trucks out on the road.... their is so much work in this town that none of us really need to step on each others feet to get it..
he will do fine as long as he does not attempt new home construction work for if he does then-------- the death spiral will begin......

One thing I can tell you that from your posts, you have a lot of assho/es up in your part of Canada which I have rarely run into here in INDY.. In fact maybe you attract the bottom feeders to you or they just are all that way up there....

I think the people in Indianapolis are probably the most decent folks in this hemisphere... Rarely have I tangled assho/es with any of them..