Tires - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Trucks, Vans, and Trailers

Like Tree19Likes

Old 10-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #1

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default Tires

Things have been tighter for my family with the new business. My personal truck has been needing tires for a while now. They are factory installed and have 85,000 miles on them. They only started showing severe wear about 5,000 ago, which is really great IMO.

We have only a couple of tire shops here, one of them is Les Schwab. I have a credit account there which makes tire replacement convenient and 90 days same as cash is always good. But I sit down and start looking at prices on truck tires and it just makes me feel disgusted.

My wife just put new tires on her altima which are relatively small passenger tires and it cost us over 600 dollars. The tires for my truck aren't that large, and they are 200 a piece for anything with a good mileage warranty on them.

Long story short, I found very comparable tires online through discount tire direct and ended up paying about 95 less a tire. That is huge. Granted Schwab does free mounting and balancing at their 200 a tire price point, but when I do the math......

4 tires at a total $413 (no tax, free shipping) plus $220 for schwab to mount and balance them, i'm still ahead by nearly a whole tire. I also know I can get someone to mount and balance them for much cheaper than that.

The only thing that might add up in the end is not having free flat repairs., but I rarely use that anyway. Maybe on the work truck, but not my personal. Going to try this out and see how it goes.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Don't you have a scrapyard nearby or in another city nearby? Every time I can get used parts I go there.

I needed rims for the van, went to kenny u pull took them off a pick up and removed the old tires on them with their equipment. 10$ a rim.

Next I found tires there, 30$ each. Check often you will eventually get good tires cheap.

If you have room in your yard buy a beater truck for parts. If you are quick do like me I bought a 600$ truck brought it in the driveway or garage and striped it clean in 2-3 days. Store the parts in plastic containers, the engine and tranny on a rolling dolly and have the scrapyard pick the frame and you will get a little money back!
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #3

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

I like BF Goodrich all terrain tires, I have them on all my trucks and used them for over 35 years and never had any issues with them..2 things you dont cheap out on tires and brakes....saving a few bucks on cheap tires that wont hold the road during bad weather and you crash saves you nothing..
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 11:59 PM   #4
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

The bf Goodrich tires that are on my power wagon cost $1200. Thankfully they still have about 60k left on them. The six on my cube will need to be changed in about two to three years. Not looking forward to that bill when it comes due.

My first car, an ‘85 rabbit I bought 4 yokahama tires at $35 a pop, mounted and balanced.

One thing you should do, if you haven’t placed the order yet is ask if they’ll price match or come reasonably close. The worst they can say is no. And if you’re already a customer in good standing.... I have good long time customers that have fallen on hard times who I’ve helped out on pricing.

For me it’s advertising. I tell them I’m doing them a favor because I know they’ll be giving my number out and I tell them my usual price, that’s what I charge, and I’m using their savings as advertisement money. People around here usually have respect in that way. If I read them differently, no discount, call someone else.
MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #5

View PLUMB TIME's Photo Album My Photos

Nothing personal, but you sound like the people we rail against on here. The interweb can undercut everyone but does that make it right?
I dont install customers equipment and I dont expect another business to install mine.
PLUMB TIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMB TIME View Post
Nothing personal, but you sound like the people we rail against on here. The interweb can undercut everyone but does that make it right?
I dont install customers equipment and I dont expect another business to install mine.
How do you deal with people who want to replace a roman tub faucet for example. Do you carry catalogs and upon catalogs and price sheets for faucets? What if the customer wants to see and touch it before buying?

I keep 3 style of kitchen faucets, one T&S and one lav for people who want a basic replacement. The rest like to get their own stuff.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
Moderator Wizard

Quote:

I'm not bashing, I'm curious to see if it would work for me. I already know the answer for my area, people don't want to pay me for shopping,if it was free or 20$ they'd say yes of course!

Another thing came to mind. What about someone who wants to replace a toilet. Do you go to their house show some catalogs then go to the store pick it up and bring it? Will people actually pay 125$/hr for you to do all this so now their bill adds 300$+ more for that or you all this for real cheap or free? What if you unbox the toilet and they say hell no it looks bad?
Old 10-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #8

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
No offense taken. But I do understand when people want to buy their own faucet because it's cheaper and they just don't have the means to get a top quality brand name through me. If I could afford to pay twice as much for the tires, the convenience would probably outweigh the legwork I am having to do, but right now I just am not busy enough, and I don't have the means.

I don't mind installing it for them. Heck, I don't make any money on the parts, but I don't have to warranty their crap either. If you have a problem with it, pay me to come tear it out and put something decent in.

All that said, I will refer to this very loosely as an internet retailer, because they do have shops scattered around the country, they just don't stock tires there. You order your tires from them, and drive your tires to their shop and they install it.

My personal truck doesn't even see the road much anymore anyway. It's about a mile and a half drive each way to get the kids to and from school. Occasional 10 miles to town if I need to relieve my wife of picking up the high school aged child.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #9
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
How do you deal with people who want to replace a roman tub faucet for example. Do you carry catalogs and upon catalogs and price sheets for faucets? What if the customer wants to see and touch it before buying?

I keep 3 style of kitchen faucets, one T&S and one lav for people who want a basic replacement. The rest like to get their own stuff.
When a customer of mine wants something a fixture “fancier” than rental grade I tell them to go to my supply house, look around the showroom, look through their catalogs, pick three different fixtures and I’ll get back with them on pricing.

I see his point about diy vs. professional quality, but mechanic work vs. plumbing is similar in the fact if you do something wrong you or someone else can die, however, working on vehicles can be a hobby.... I don’t know of anyone who takes up plumbing as a hobby.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
When a customer of mine wants something a fixture “fancier” than rental grade I tell them to go to my supply house, look around the showroom, look through their catalogs, pick three different fixtures and I’ll get back with them on pricing.

I see his point about diy vs. professional quality, but mechanic work vs. plumbing is similar in the fact if you do something wrong you or someone else can die, however, working on vehicles can be a hobby.... I don’t know of anyone who takes up plumbing as a hobby.
I'm not sure to understand what you are saying.

If I were to tell them to go to the supply house the only one I have an account with they will pay the same price as me.
That's right no discount that I know of that's why I buy my stuff at HD. They only have a counter and parts in front. No faucet displays and anything fancy needs to be ordered.

If they are there they are going to ask the clerk what the price is and when I tell my price with a markup they will think I'm screwing them.

Second thing I noticed is one faucet manufacturer has the same faucet quality packaged in a plain box as opposed to full color box at HD. Same faucet different price but they always said they were different quality. I say bullcrap on this particular model!