Securing shovels in van - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Trucks, Vans, and Trailers

Like Tree13Likes

Old 04-08-2019, 08:45 PM   #1

View smoldrn's Photo Album My Photos
Default Securing shovels in van

Just bought a van the other day after years of working out of a truck.
Had them put some shelving in, but now I'm trying to figure out a good way to carry a few shovels besides laying them on the floor.
Anybody have any good pics?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 09:49 PM   #2

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I just lay them on the floor. I have to put them outside on the ground when I have to walk into and out of the van though. I hate stumbling on them when I leave them in there.

My closet auger in in a piece of 6" sewer pipe that hangs from the roof. But when I did that with the shovels, they would slide out and bang the glass window of the back door. I was afraid that they'd break the glass one day, so onto the floor they went.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:57 PM   #3

Attached Thumbnails
Securing shovels in van-van-ii.jpg  

dhal22, Gargalaxy and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Debo22 (04-08-2019), gear junkie (04-08-2019), smoldrn (04-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #4
Ridgid tool user

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
Nice van Tommy, how long did that setup take?
Old 04-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear junkie View Post
Nice van Tommy, how long did that setup take?

Thanks. I don't remember. I like to build stuff so I made the wooden shelves but the other side of the van has metal shelves that came with the van when I bought it from Stan {89 Plumbum} who's a member here.
gear junkie (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #6
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

I just don't know how you guys do it. I see a lot of free space. My van is filled top to bottom not an inch to spare. When I finish a job Other than some abs and other fittings I need to get parts every time I finish a job because I don't have room for more than 1 or 2.

Do you guys shop on customer's time?
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:06 PM   #7

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I just don't know how you guys do it. I see a lot of free space. My van is filled top to bottom not an inch to spare. When I finish a job Other than some abs and other fittings I need to get parts every time I finish a job because I don't have room for more than 1 or 2.

Do you guys shop on customer's time?
well you state you dont go and look at jobs, or only a few, part of looking at a job is to make a material list so when job is being worked on you have all the material you need in the truck, plus a few extras just incase.. I cant remember the last time I was short on material for a pre planned job...if a customer askes for extra work when their and i dont have parts on the truck I tell the customer that getting parts is in the price, but most of the time unless its a small extra I tell the people we can schedule it another day if I have other work that day or their job is going to take the whole day up..
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
well you state you dont go and look at jobs, or only a few, part of looking at a job is to make a material list so when job is being worked on you have all the material you need in the truck, plus a few extras just incase.. I cant remember the last time I was short on material for a pre planned job...if a customer askes for extra work when their and i dont have parts on the truck I tell the customer that getting parts is in the price, but most of the time unless its a small extra I tell the people we can schedule it another day if I have other work that day or their job is going to take the whole day up..
In what 2 years I only went twice on the customer's time to get a special long tub spout and another rarity. Every service job I do I have everything on board. That means my van is full to the brim. It's filled to the brim but I can only hold only a few of those parts.

I don't look at jobs that need a repair or installation, I have everything I need. I'm sure you only go look at big jobs not jobs that take an hour or two. That would be foolish.

What I mean was since I see pictures of vans that don't seem to be loaded to the max for me that means you go to a customer (like you say) make a list and go shop. If I would do that here people would be pissed and never call me back. Just this morning a customer was super angry the last plumber didn't have a drain cable long enough to do the kitchen line and ended up paying him an extra 400$ to go and get one.

True I don't go look at big jobs people think a full bathroom gut is 200$. Just yesterday a guy wanted to replace 2 showers and faucets, 2 sinks and while I was there replace the toilet seat. He was expecting a one hour job.

Then a guy wanted to know if he had a BWV in the basement, he thought the camera inspection was free, my time was also free. I had another guy last week, same thing but he had a dvd. I posted it in the soap thread.

Today a guy wanted a full house copper repipe and thought it wouldn't go over a thousand bucks.

Before christmas my only true reno I had to do 2 contracts so the guy could hide a good portion of the bill to his wife because she wasn't going to pay more than 1200$ for a complete bathroom gut.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #9

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

My van used to be a rental and as such has these hard rock maple 1x3's running along the walls. I put my shovel, auger, and hook behind one of them which runs above the passenger side wheel well. I am sure there is tons of dirt down in there which has fallen off my shovel. I make use of pretty much every nook and cranny including the doors. I put 2x4's behind the maple slats to make shelves for my glues, screws, tapes, etc....

Hanging my power tools was probably one of the best choices I made. They can't get covered up and made inaccessible. For the sawzall and small hilti the bits/blades are right there with them. I keep a battery in every tool and I have an inverter and battery charger mounted on the wall behind the big snake.
Attached Thumbnails
Securing shovels in van-imag0547.jpg  

Securing shovels in van-imag0548.jpg  

Securing shovels in van-imag0549.jpg  

Securing shovels in van-imag0550.jpg  

Securing shovels in van-imag0553.jpg  

GAN, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (04-12-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #10

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

More pics
Attached Thumbnails
Securing shovels in van-imag0555.jpg  

Securing shovels in van-imag0556.jpg  

Securing shovels in van-0551.jpg  

Securing shovels in van-0554.jpg  

Debo22, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (04-12-2019)