Promaster - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Trucks, Vans, and Trailers

Like Tree27Likes
Unread 08-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #1

View PathMaker's Photo Album My Photos
Default Promaster

Bought a Promaster new in June of 2015. 4 years, 77k miles later the transmission dies. Because it was a 2015, it was still under warranty (100k powertrain). But, I gotta try and work out of a short, no bins, no partition, gasser. Dealership took care of the tow, and the loaner as they should, but I simply can't get another one of those things. Its been in the shop a full month and it looks like it will be another month til the transmission gets replaced.

Have a customer in town that owns a fleet of 12 of them. He says he'd never get another one.

Chrysler apparently knew about the transmission issues early on because the way the "fixed" the problem was to lower the warranty starting in 2016 to 60k powertrain.

If youre shopping for a new truck, pass on the promaster.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
PathMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PathMaker For This Useful Post:
Tango (08-12-2019), Tommy plumber (08-13-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #2
The captain of plumbing

View CaptainBob's Photo Album My Photos

2 months to get the transmission replaced? Ridiculous. Should take about a week or so, tops. Last year had the engine replaced in my E450 and from when I had got it to the dealer to when they had it done was about a week, and that was over the July 4th holiday. Had to wait a few days for them to get the motor shipped to them, that's what took the longest.

Chrysler has been known for issues with transmissions, the Dodge minivan I had some years ago had problems, was common my mechanic told me.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
CaptainBob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainBob For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (08-13-2019)
Unread 08-12-2019, 08:00 AM   #3
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Last year my GMC SAVANA van's automatic transmission wore out at almost 400 000 km. It took a garage 3 days to take it out, completely overhaul it and re-install everything back together. Luckily I didn't get a single call during the downtime.

Even though I wish they'd make Toyota Work vans, GMC parts are cheap and plentiful. That's what amazes me the price difference and availability, you can get parts locally within minutes or hours. My toyota sometimes have to come from California and wait 2 weeks.

You go to a scrap yard and there's multiple vans and silverado's that have the same parts. For a toyota 4Runner you will not find one. People hoard them like precious treasure.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

dodge/chrysler suck as vehicles, the only good thing in a dodge truck is the cummins engine, other than that, not much...
I use to be a die hard chevy buyer till 2003 and a duramax that rotted out from under me and the attitude of the dealers to screw you over, I have a 2003 chevy 3500 van for my work truck, but have 2 tundras to drive for everything else, was never a fan of ford trucks..if i ever needed another van I would probably go with another chevy with a larger v-8...
I drive the parkways so I dont register commercial, but have commercial insurance on the truck as thats the only thing that counts if you crash..
some of the other brands that have dully wheels in the rear are nice( my duramax was a dully pickup and had some good carry weight) but the other brands have their issues..
a month to change a transmission is complete BS, you need to speak with an area service rep or call dodge corporate and complain the dealer is jerking you off...
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Unread 08-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #5

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

I think my brother's Promaster was a 2015. Transmission died at 103,000 (?) miles. Expensive replacement. I don't think you will see him buying another........
Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #6
The captain of plumbing

Took some pictures of a new RAM Promaster 3500

Promaster-20190812_192607-2-.jpg

Promaster-20190812_193030-2-.jpg
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Unread 08-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #7
The captain of plumbing

However its what under neath that counts

Promaster-20190812_192744-2-.jpg

It's front wheel drive so it's got just a wimpy looking non-drive axle in the back

And only 2 leafs on each side...and this is a one ton?

Not much for a frame either... just some stamped out folded metal
Promaster-20190812_192828-2-.jpg
So Tango if your real frame truck rusted out when it did how do you think this would do for you
I'm thinking this wouldn't last very long here in Minnesota either

Promaster-20190812_192855-2-.jpg

Here's the front suspension, guessing the transmission is in there somewhere
It does have some cast suspension parts

Promaster-20190812_192715-2-.jpg

At least it has real tires..load range E 10 ply
Unread 08-13-2019, 06:16 AM   #8

View Will's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathMaker View Post
Bought a Promaster new in June of 2015. 4 years, 77k miles later the transmission dies. Because it was a 2015, it was still under warranty (100k powertrain). But, I gotta try and work out of a short, no bins, no partition, gasser. Dealership took care of the tow, and the loaner as they should, but I simply can't get another one of those things. Its been in the shop a full month and it looks like it will be another month til the transmission gets replaced.

Have a customer in town that owns a fleet of 12 of them. He says he'd never get another one.

Chrysler apparently knew about the transmission issues early on because the way the "fixed" the problem was to lower the warranty starting in 2016 to 60k powertrain.

If youre shopping for a new truck, pass on the promaster.

Diesel or Gas?
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #9

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for the input Pathmaker with regard to transmission problems.

I had a Jasper re-manufactured engine installed a few years back in my Chevy 3500 work van. I don't think that the shop even had my van for a week. It was returned to me in short order.

Two months to replace a transmission is too long.
Unread 08-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #10

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

They look pretty durable, here’s one I saw driving on the freeway.
Attached Thumbnails
Promaster-bd10d484-d93d-4372-9408-9b18e9881922.jpg  

Promaster-11e830a0-4eda-4c46-b6aa-6724f5cd9a02.jpg  

Promaster-9cbdcffe-80cc-4389-98da-72d61249e525.jpg  

chonkie, skoronesa and Tango like this.
Debo22 is offline   Reply With Quote