Nervous..... - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Trucks, Vans, and Trailers

Like Tree29Likes

Old 02-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default Nervous.....

Well today started out as a pretty good day. I had three drain calls and my Master had two. One of his canceled until tomorrow, the other one canceled till next week, so all my Master did was drive me around in his truck for my jobs. We got back to the shop, loaded my machines on my truck and took off.

Half way home all of a sudden I lost power! Engine is running fine, but I had to floor it to get moving after a stop sign. I got it home and looked around, no leaks (outside of what you’d expect for a ‘97). I checked the trans fluid, not running, and only saw a drop on the end....

So I’m hoping it just low for some reason. Need to run out later for a few things. Transmission fluid is top priority.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 05:14 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Could be simple as a bad alternator that's going bad, did the light dim? Is there a volt meter reading 14 volts in the dash?
OpenSights likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #3

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Well today started out as a pretty good day. I had three drain calls and my Master had two. One of his canceled until tomorrow, the other one canceled till next week, so all my Master did was drive me around in his truck for my jobs. We got back to the shop, loaded my machines on my truck and took off.

Half way home all of a sudden I lost power! Engine is running fine, but I had to floor it to get moving after a stop sign. I got it home and looked around, no leaks (outside of what you’d expect for a ‘97). I checked the trans fluid, not running, and only saw a drop on the end....

So I’m hoping it just low for some reason. Need to run out later for a few things. Transmission fluid is top priority.

Unfortunately with tranny fluid by the time it affects the torque converter you've already gotten a bunch of wear damage from stuff not being lubricated. Ask me how I know twice over If the leak isn't big enough that it was obvious than you've probably been doing damage for a while.

Survey says; SELL IT.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I got back from the store, started it up and the level was low, but not below low. So I added half a qt, shifted F to R for a few minutes. Tried to check the level again, but there was too much fluid in the tube to tell. Took it around the block and it drove normal.

Vacuum line maybe? Once it heats up it acts up? Wouldn’t surprise me for a 23yo truck.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #5

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

thats a tuffy to figure out not being able to see with your own eyes...
Old 02-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Could be simple as a bad alternator that's going bad, did the light dim? Is there a volt meter reading 14 volts in the dash?
I didn’t have my lights on so no dash lights. As soon as it started acting up I turned the radio off, so not sure.

No idiot lights came on, all gauges were normal.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #7
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I got back from the store, started it up and the level was low, but not below low. So I added half a qt, shifted F to R for a few minutes. Tried to check the level again, but there was too much fluid in the tube to tell. Took it around the block and it drove normal.

Vacuum line maybe? Once it heats up it acts up? Wouldn’t surprise me for a 23yo truck.
Lot's of things can be a culprit so start with easy stuff like clean the Mass Air Flow sensor, that can cause the truck to have a stalling effect. You may even have to replace it. It happened on my GF's car and my old work van, I cleaned it and helped and soon it started to act up again, the truck would just stall on start up. I replaced it and the truck was fine again.

What about the ground of the battery, clean and tighten.

Vaccuum : use propane on all the lines while the engine is running and if the engine revs you found a leak.
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #8

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
thats a tuffy to figure out not being able to see with your own eyes...

I think you meant hear it with your own eyes. If seeing is believing than with vehicles hearing is knowing.

Ever met a guy who could tell you what's wrong by listening to the sound and counting beats per minute?

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:45 AM   #9

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
I think you meant hear it with your own eyes. If seeing is believing than with vehicles hearing is knowing.

Ever met a guy who could tell you what's wrong by listening to the sound and counting beats per minute?

well I assumed if one was there seeing it with their own eyes..their ears would be along for the ride so you can hear what may also be wrong..yes you are correct..hearing is as important as seeing whats wrong...
Im not a big fan of doctors, they call it the practice of medicine because they dont really know, so they are always practicing to see or hear what happens when they give you some drugs with wild side effects that most likely will kill you worse than the issue you are taking them for...
Old 02-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

I need a new truck too.... my 1997 ford e-350 is rusting out
and I have had to patch the floor boards under both drivers and passengers
seats with water heater flu pipe and expansion foam just to firm it up.....

once it starts to nickle and dime you to death, its time to put it down....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote