My New Used Van - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Trucks, Vans, and Trailers

Like Tree220Likes

Old 09-20-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default My New Used Van

What a long day, the first bus I took I was alone with the driver. He told me stories of his brother who is a refrigeration/AC contractor in the same area as I. He often didn't get paid by the same people who give me a hard time so now he has everyone pay 50% upfront to start any job. He even had elderly people who gave a price of 200$ before he started and once the job was done they'd shove him only 50$ saying it was good enough and fair. He had to bring a few people to court just to get them to pay up. So I'm not alone one single bit!

On the second bus a small chinese man decided to sit with me, his wife in another. Damn it was uncomfortable because I'm the size of a strong man., I should of told him to get another seat. Too bad for him too because he had one of his a$$ cheek in the isle. He was uncomfortable too. On the opposite direction there was a pickup truck on the side of the road pulling a motor home and the truck was totally engulfed in flames. The fire trucks rushing to the scene while miles and miles of traffic at a dead stop.

Once in the city I was the last one off the bus and saw the herd heading toward the large exit sign, I noticed a side door and took a short cut out of the building and got a taxi cab, It was the only taxi hahaha!!! Once at the warehouse I ate my scooby snacks and picked up the van.

Getting close to the van I saw it was in excellent condition, usually a 10 year old is all rusted and or rotted out. IT HAS SIDE DOORS! I opened the driver door and the new car smell hit me in the face. For a 10 year van it looked brand new! It has ultra low mileage, let's just say it's equivalent to 6 months use compared to a van that does a lot of road driving. The engine oil still golden, only 619 hours on the engine, AC blows ice cold! It’s one of the very few vehicles in my lifetime that has functioning AC. You can figure out I never bought a new vehicle before.... Dash is clean, the faux leather pimples on the steering wheel are still there! I can even plug in my mp3 player and it has a cruise control.

I paid a lot of money for the van but the frame is in excellent condition. Up here a low hung frame after 13 years is usually rotted through and through if not it's not far away from falling apart depending which area you drive. I ordered a rust proof gun and I’ll be ordering a boatload of rustproofing grease. I will pressure wash the exterior of the frame and use the jetter to clean the rust, salt and mud, then I’ll slobber the rustproofing. The rockers, doors and everything else will be taken apart so I can grease the hell out of them. I have to grease the bastaard and spay at least 40 pounds of grease, winter is coming and lots of salt! I have a medium dent to smooth out and paint and I have to fix some rockers and paint. I also have to seal all the sheet metal below or it's going to rot through real quick.

I'll have to switch tires from my current van in order to pass inspection, the ones on the new van including the spares have fine crackling. It's a shame the threads deep but the bolt pattern of the rims don't match. I'll be looking for another set of used rims.

Should I cut out the roof and install a high top? It won't leave me a lot of capacity to carry extra stuff though maybe 200 pounds more, I'll be at the weight limit with all the stuff I already have.

Here it is!

Attached Thumbnails
My New Used Van-4.jpg  

My New Used Van-7.jpg  

My New Used Van-6.jpg  

My New Used Van-img_20190920_165621309_hdr.jpg  

My New Used Van-img_20190920_173335146_hdr.jpg  

GAN, chonkie, Debo22 and 4 others like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (09-20-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #2

View Dpeckplb's Photo Album My Photos

You hit the jackpot bud! Looks like it’s brand new! Just swap over the awd.
skoronesa, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #3
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeckplb View Post
You hit the jackpot bud! Looks like it’s brand new! Just swap over the awd.
It's a jackpot for sure. I've never seen an old truck this clean without too much rust. Did I tell you it has side doors!

Sadly it would be such a major job cutting the old van up with the AWD, transferring the transmission, driveshaft and changing out all of the front suspension and axle. Then who knows if the engine will bolt up up to the tranny and if the frame would allow it.

I did those things on 4runners when I was a young buck building offroad trucks but back then I could spend all week wrenching between employment.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2019, 10:53 PM   #4

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Congrats on the nice van. Remember to show us your setup when you are done moving in to the new van.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
skoronesa, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #5

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

So you've been riding the bus to your plumbing jobs?.....LOL

Nice looking van. From what I know about you, mon ami, being handy and all, you'll probably fabricate your own shelves....n'est-ce pas?
Old 09-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

cool, looks good....
Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:06 AM   #7
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

A good customer of mine, a retired engineer, undercoats his vehicles with a 50/50 mix of used motor oil and diesel.

I’ve never seen him drive a rusty vehicle even though he owns some junkyards.

He’s a colorful character! Turkish, and it would be very inappropriate to quote him here... I don’t think his quotes would be kosher for even Penthouse or Hustler!
Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.

Last edited by OpenSights; 09-21-2019 at 12:10 AM..
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:17 AM   #8
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
Congrats on the nice van. Remember to show us your setup when you are done moving in to the new van.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
So you've been riding the bus to your plumbing jobs?.....LOL

Nice looking van. From what I know about you, mon ami, being handy and all, you'll probably fabricate your own shelves....n'est-ce pas?
I'll be transferring my shelves from the other van(which I made in 2017) and tool boxes on a long weed end so I don't miss my small number of jobs during the week. Only issue, is I may get rid of the aluminum partition in the green van. It's not as tough as my plywood partition that's triple bolted to the roof and bracketed and bolted to both seat racks. Also the plywood partition is the take off for the shelves. I will do a few tweaks but not very much.

I will however take out stuff and tools I haven't used, the weight is an issue for the brakes!

https://www.plumbingzone.com/f34/wor...4/#post1143465

MASTRPLUMB likes this.

Last edited by Tango; 09-21-2019 at 12:20 AM..
Old 09-21-2019, 12:23 AM   #9
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
a long weed end so I don't miss my small number of jobs during the week..
Always the best to enjoy it! Lol!
ShtRnsdownhill and MASTRPLUMB like this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:58 AM   #10

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Great looking van, I really like the color. I used to have a GMC Jimmy in that shade of green
Tango likes this.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote