I need another van soon. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Trucks, Vans, and Trailers

Like Tree63Likes

Old 07-31-2019, 07:25 AM   #1
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default I need another van soon.

Talking about my van, I went to the GM/Chevrolet dealer last week end and what a joke. They no longer make AWD and they no longer make them with side doors on the driver side. They don't make high tops either(High top is not a deal breaker for me)

I asked for the american style KUV (if I'm correct?) and he didn't even want to check or see it if it was possible. I guess they don't want to sell work trucks anymore.

So my options are very limited. I either get a 2 wheel drive and install tires with studs and hope I don't crash in the winter or get stuck when it snows. I would have to void the warranty and cut side doors from my actual rusted van and displace some stuff out of the way like the gas filler pipe.

Option 1 :

There may be a 2010 awd coming to a dealer 6 hours away in a couple of week but I still have the issue of side doors.

Option 2 :

I have a shop cut out a portion of the frame on both sides thats rotted out so I can use the truck a few more years.

Option 3 :

Or I can visit ford dealers and mercedes. mercedes parts are probably real expensive. It also looks like they rot out and rust real fast, I saw a few on the road and they have rust streaks dripping from the sides.
I bet they still won't have side doors. If I buy a new van say goodbye to putting money aside for rainy days. I'll be working exclusively to pay that truck loan.

Option 4 :

Search for a van in the US but that may be a lot of problem getting it here.

Last edited by Tango; 07-31-2019 at 07:29 AM..
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 07:45 AM   #2

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

If you look at the ford transit website you can see that it comes with high roof and sliding door on the driver side as options.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
If you look at the ford transit website you can see that it comes with high roof and sliding door on the driver side as options.

Oh wow their site is awesome, you can pick dozens of options. They have dual doors but I haven't seen AWD. They do have limited slip diff and also the option of gears in the diff.

Speaking of gears in the diff, All I know is my 4runner had 4.10 so I wonder what's a good ratio for city driving for a work van.

I can choose the color, I wonder what color, What would you guys choose?

Oxford White
Race Red
Shadow Black
White Gold
Magnetic
Blue Jeans
Ingot Silver
Green Gem
Stone Grey

Last edited by Tango; 07-31-2019 at 11:31 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #4
Moderator Wizard

Based on their numbers on their website it would cost around 44K. After taxes 51K for a van that will be useful for 10 years?

I'll be shopping some more!
Old 07-31-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Do you guys have anything like Craigslist up there? If I were you I’d keep an eye out for a used private sale. You obviously are half mechanic so you already know what you’re looking at. I wouldn’t go Mercedes, the Dodge service vans are hard to find a mechanic that works on them.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

What’s up with the you have now? Just wearing out?
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
What’s up with the you have now? Just wearing out?
The frame where it rises up above the axle is completely rotted out. I had put a channel on both side except the one on the driver side the fuel tank is there so I only welded on the outside.

The problem is that it's not legal to patch it up but supoosedly you can weld in a new section? Second problem is I would have to scour the junk yard for a good one(probably all rotted too) and cut a frame out. How the heck am I supposed to hold it up so it doesn't crash on me? I can't be bringing 400$ of cribbing there and leave it when I'm done??? I don't know if they could grab a van and lay it on the side so I can cut it out safely.

Then I would need a mechanic to remove the tank and replace the sections. Probably messing with the spring leaf mounts too. That's way too much work for myself alone.

I could do all that myself except I would be spending weeks fooling around that ordeal.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Do you guys have anything like Craigslist up there? If I were you I’d keep an eye out for a used private sale. You obviously are half mechanic so you already know what you’re looking at. I wouldn’t go Mercedes, the Dodge service vans are hard to find a mechanic that works on them.
I've been looking on kijiji for a while but there is only 2 awd in the province. One is 2010 22K modified for a handicap. and the second seems to be a dealer who didn't get on his lot yet without pictures. Another 2010 12K I think. Both are like 6 hours drive away. I don't want to take the bus there expecting they're in good shape and drive it home. If not it'll be a two day bus trip and hotel.

Both I would have to transplant my side doors and relocate the fuel hose and fuel door?
OpenSights likes this.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:49 PM   #9

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

I have heard that the transit is a really nice van. I have also noticed that enough people say it's in the shop getting fixed too often so reliability is is not guaranteed. I would probably get a newer used chevrolet express with low mileage if I had the money. Only because it's a very reliable van. No it's not the greatest in snow but invest in good snow tires and it would be fine.

The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:43 PM   #10

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Just kiss Canada goodbye and move to the United States of America.....

Besides, the RCMP are searching for {2} killers up there. You can move here and set up shop in the lower {48}.