Best fuel economy ? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Trucks, Vans, and Trailers

Like Tree19Likes

Old 08-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos
Default Best fuel economy ?

Looking for some feedback pros an cons with what you guys are driving.
Looking for somthing other than the traditional gmc ford dodge, anyone have a nissan nv 1500 ?
I need somthing that will fit 12' pipe since i do everything from drain cleaning to new construction so cargo space is a priority, reliability dont need a sh*tty transmission...ford or dodge.
And fuel economy not sure whats the best.
Also its going to be my daily driver not just for work.
And i dont have the cash for a mercedes sprinter so im not even considering that.
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos
Default Fuel economy

Best mileage I ever got was from a 49 chevy.
Most the parts came from pep-boys.
First was a set of 3 point spark plugs fuel saving 35%.
Second was a cast iron block went between the carb and intake manifold 25% fuel saving. Third was special tire air 10% fuel saving. A special muffler 20% fuel saving. And a gasoline additive 20% fuel saving. Now with 110% fuel savings I had to stop every 10 miles and let gas out of the tank !!! YEP!
A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PLUMBER_BILL For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (09-02-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #3

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

I'm buying Ford Transits that have a V6 and plenty of power. It pulls an mini ex easily. Don't know what the mileage is though.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #4

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

just buy a 12volt powered fuel pump and siphon gas out of other tanks into your van, very economical and then gas mileage doesnt matter.....maybe bail money would be an issue, but not gas mileage........
dhal22, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #5

View Dpeckplb's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
Looking for somthing other than the traditional gmc ford dodge, anyone have a nissan nv 1500 ?
I need somthing that will fit 12' pipe since i do everything from drain cleaning to new construction so cargo space is a priority, reliability dont need a sh*tty transmission...ford or dodge.
And i dont have the cash for a mercedes sprinter so im not even considering that.
The Chevy extended van I had was decent on fuel. The issue the Nissan has its only a half ton frame and the constant weight and strain would take its toll on them. To me anything diesel would be the best for fuel economy. My 17’ diesel cube gets the same mpg as the chev did.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
3rd year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos

I'd be interested in what guys think of those Nissan vans too.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #7

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

I have always used chevy vans for work and they have held up well and given decent mileage, but after having a chevy 2003 silverado duramax pickup rot out from under me, I switched to the Toyota Tundra, I still have a chevy work van but if Toyota ever came out with a work van platform I would jump on it....
I think my current van will be the last unless its totaled in a crash..but if I had to replace it right now I would still go with a chevy....they still seem to have the least issues compared to all the other vans out there..not perfect, but less than the rest...
Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #8
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
I'm buying Ford Transits that have a V6 and plenty of power. It pulls an mini ex easily. Don't know what the mileage is though.

Your ford transit is gonna get about the same as every other van on the road.... 10 to 15 mpg.... it dont matter if it is a 6 or an 8 cylinder van either... they all get the same

the mileage is not an issue if you are making money., its all part of the cost of doing business.. dont worry about the gas mileage.... its the room and functionality that counts the most......

My old man had a little mini van to do plumbing out of and it was a miserable experience every morning having to unload and re-load everything into the truck just to be able to cram a water heater into it..

the labor and lost time cost a lot more than the gas mileage he saved on.... and he probably got about 17 per gallon

My e450 box truck gets about 8 per gallon.... our e350 box gets about 10 per gallon....

I carry a ton of materials in my box trucks and they have saved me driving time for materials and have kept the whole day from going to hell in a hand basket...... There is Nothing worse than having to drive 30 miles across town to get a water heater or some other materials...at 3.30 in the afternoon. You are burning a lot of gas and labor time just running back and forth....

I normally get done with my day before 5... Now if I had a little mini van that got maybe 18 miles to the gallon I probably would be out until well after dark .....and come home pissed off too....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #9

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

Correct, I do not care about gas mileage.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #10

View Fatpat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
My 2017 Chevy 2500 Express with a v8 with 11.2 average MPG.

My 2003 Ford E350 with 5.4 v8 would get 15+MPG

And my 2005 Ford E150 with a V8 gets an average of 12 MPG. (It’s mostly over loaded)
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Fatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatpat For This Useful Post:
MASTRPLUMB (09-10-2019)