Tankless Water Heater - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Boilers, Hot Water & Steam Heating

Like Tree6Likes

Old 03-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

View Fatpat's Photo Album My Photos
Default Tankless Water Heater

I never recommend or encourage tankless water heaters. They seem to not last and have much more headaches.

Should I be more open minded?
Fatpat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fatpat For This Useful Post:
celtic1 (04-19-2016), plumberkc (03-28-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
Lego Expert

View GREENPLUM's Photo Album My Photos

Yes, if they want the luxury of forever hot water why deny them, they work well and have good warranties

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
GREENPLUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:43 PM   #3

View Qplumb's Photo Album My Photos

In the right situation using a quality tankless is fine but more often than not tankless water heaters are being installed with the false notion that it's going to save money. In reality they usually cost more over their lifespan than a tank. Like any water heater you want to size it correctly for the application.
When I have a customer that wants a tankless I always ask why? The most common response is to save money. After I look over their situation, needs and wants I'll give them several options with all the pros and cons and let them decide.

For example let's say I have a weekend cabin on the lake, not a lot of room for a tank water heater and I take 40 minute showers. I only use the cabin on weekends. The water is taken from the lake. A tankless is actually the better choice here for several reasons one being endless hot water another being much safer not having a tank full of stagnant water full of bacteria. Since water comes from Lake you would want to test and treat water before it enters tankless to prolong it's life. Even though it's more expensive than a tank it's still the better option and it's not being installed to save money but rather give the customer what they want.
Qplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Qplumb For This Useful Post:
celtic1 (04-19-2016), plumber3214 (01-28-2017), Snowyman800 (03-29-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #4

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

I would say tankless or more on the luxury side for continuous hot water and space savings, if sized properly..in the long run do you save any money..maybe..you have to add the original cost of the unit and what it cost to operate compared to a tank cost and operational costs...every situation should be looked at and decided which one will work best for the person it is being installed for..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShtRnsdownhill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #5

View Paul4813's Photo Album My Photos

My opinion is you become more open minded. If for no other reason than this. This younger generation that are starting to buy homes have grown up on nothing but technology and computers. I am finding that these young people are seeing water heaters with mother boards in them, so they can relate....and they want it...at whatever cost....regardless of our recommendations.
Paul4813 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul4813 For This Useful Post:
ShtRnsdownhill (03-29-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 06:49 AM   #6

View SHEPLMBR70's Photo Album My Photos

They do require more maintenance as in the flushing process. Since there is no tank to let the sediment sit. There is also the minimum required flow on some models.
SHEPLMBR70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:36 PM   #7

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

We install many tankless annually. Customers love them, profit margins are better, rarely any call backs, high performance products, what's not to like? I have a tank less in my house and love it. Come home sore from a hard day's work and I stand under my scorching hot 2 head shower as long as I want to.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhal22 For This Useful Post:
wookie (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
J. McCabe Plumbing Inc.

View A Good Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatpat View Post
I never recommend or encourage tankless water heaters. They seem to not last and have much more headaches.

Should I be more open minded?
Pat, We've installed more than 125 Tankless water heaters in the past 7 years and have not had one call back for a failure. (we stick to one manufacturer and refuse to install some others)
Most important is the proper gas size, venting and installation location. If done correctly, you should never experience a problem.
We also provide service and repair to other Tankless units and most of the time the issue is related to poor or inproper installation.
Consumers do have a short learning curve because Tankless water heating has it's quirks, like "cold pockets". California home owners sometimes shut off their water during their shower, in the interest of saving water, and this causes a "cold pocket".
Knowing the product your installing and teaching your customer what they might experience, will eliminate any operating issues you or your customer might come across.

I personally love Tankless but agree that there are situations where it just doesn't make sense over a tank type.
The life expectancy of a tank water heater is 8-10 years and a Tankless should give twice that.
wookie (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #9

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Good Plumber View Post
Pat, We've installed more than 125 Tankless water heaters in the past 7 years and have not had one call back for a failure. (we stick to one manufacturer and refuse to install some others)
Most important is the proper gas size, venting and installation location. If done correctly, you should never experience a problem.
We also provide service and repair to other Tankless units and most of the time the issue is related to poor or inproper installation.
Consumers do have a short learning curve because Tankless water heating has it's quirks, like "cold pockets". California home owners sometimes shut off their water during their shower, in the interest of saving water, and this causes a "cold pocket".
Knowing the product your installing and teaching your customer what they might experience, will eliminate any operating issues you or your customer might come across.

I personally love Tankless but agree that there are situations where it just doesn't make sense over a tank type.
The life expectancy of a tank water heater is 8-10 years and a Tankless should give twice that.

So very well said. Every sentence is spot on in the tankless installation business. Stick to a quality brand and stay there.

Too bad Eternal went out of business. Their design was a hybrid with a small storage tank wrapped around the heat exchanger; NO cold water sandwich.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhal22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2016, 01:51 AM   #10
3%'er

View BOBBYTUCSON's Photo Album My Photos

eternals were bad ass when they worked, but were indeed ****. but give them credit, they were created n designed by a bbq manufacterer. not a bad run.

nowadays, rinnai, navien and ao smith are very nice units. navien has the best customer service hands down next to a.o. noritz is really up and coming with thier stuff especially being able to adapt to old flue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_TPS View Post
Apple will never have an app for what we do. iPlunger?
BOBBYTUCSON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BOBBYTUCSON For This Useful Post:
dhal22 (04-19-2016), moonapprentice (04-19-2016)