Propress not compatible with antifreeze - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Boilers, Hot Water & Steam Heating

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By skoronesa
  • 1 Post By ken53
  • 1 Post By skoronesa
  • 1 Post By skoronesa

Old 03-23-2019, 11:36 PM   #1

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default Propress not compatible with antifreeze

I have seen this in a number of places, propress does not handle antifreeze well when the antifreeze goes sour. If you can guarantee you won't let it go sour than ok, but can you really guarantee that?

Attached Thumbnails
Propress not compatible with antifreeze-imag0369.jpg  

Propress not compatible with antifreeze-imag0368.jpg  

Propress not compatible with antifreeze-imag0367.jpg  

Propress not compatible with antifreeze-imag0366.jpg  

chonkie likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
MASTRPLUMB (03-24-2019), Tango (03-24-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

what kind of rubber or material do they use to make the sealing rings in the press fittings? I know that nitrile seals for the hand pumps for oils and pesticide stand up to lots of chemicals, I wonder if they cheaped out in the press fittings thinking only water will run through them and just used rubber seals???, but if used on a heating system they must have thought the use of antifreeze would be common...
Old 03-24-2019, 01:14 PM   #3

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
what kind of rubber or material do they use to make the sealing rings in the press fittings? I know that nitrile seals for the hand pumps for oils and pesticide stand up to lots of chemicals, I wonder if they cheaped out in the press fittings thinking only water will run through them and just used rubber seals???, but if used on a heating system they must have thought the use of antifreeze would be common...
EPDM O-Ring

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #4

View ken53's Photo Album My Photos

Victaulic had the same problem you need a special seal ring with glyco. I worked in a ten year old hospital boiler room changing all the seals. It took six months because they couldn't shut everything down.
Tango likes this.
ken53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:10 PM   #5

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
EPDM O-Ring

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

epdm breaks down with chemicals, nitrile would have been a much better choice, but im sure it is pricier ..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KYK8hzsh-MpwlJ
Old 03-24-2019, 11:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
epdm breaks down with chemicals, nitrile would have been a much better choice, but im sure it is pricier ..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...KYK8hzsh-MpwlJ

Actually no, nitrile gets broken down by acids and polar solvents. The flourocarbon(fkm aka viton) o-ring, which is the only other option for propress is what should be used in heating systems. The epdm oring would be okay but that is in megapress fittings, not propress.

You'll see in the attatched chart that they do not want you using nitrile(hnbr) for systems with glycol.

https://www.gallagherseals.com/blog/...ing-materials/
This website also has good information on materials applications.

Attached Thumbnails
Propress not compatible with antifreeze-propresschart.png  

ShtRnsdownhill likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
Old 03-24-2019, 11:50 PM   #7

I don't know any one who has ordered the other orings except for this one job we did when it was brand new. Changing all the orings was a chore but you would just have your apprentice do like 50 fittings all at once at the start of the job.

Even with the proper oring I don't really like the idea of propress. But viton is some great stuff so if you change out the orings who knows, maybe it will out last every solder joint.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #8

Another one bites the rust.

Couldn't have been at a worse customers house either. Like the dude and his wife are super nice but they hate the idea of plastic in their piping. Now granted this is the heating system and not the domestic piping but this did not help my case when I showed up with 70' of 3/4" copper and a box of propress fittings to replace the galvanized water lines. Luckily he is intelligent and understood when I explained why the heating system had this issue but his domestic wouldn't. He also already had a couple of propress fittings on the water lines. He complained several times about the 3' of blue pex that was used to hook up his iron filter.

There were a couple leaks on the fittings of the galv. It was all visible. The galvanized was actually the new piping which replaced much of the older copper with brass fittings in the walls. It was a summer home turned all season and the pipe in the walls would freeze even after they blew in cellulose. I sweat the joints on the kitchen ceiling and coming down the wall, he was very happy. The rest I just pressed as it will be insulated.

Attached Thumbnails
Propress not compatible with antifreeze-imag0520.jpg  

Tango likes this.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:56 PM   #9

That picture is only a third of the piping with green rings on that plywood backer.