I want boiler work - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Boilers, Hot Water & Steam Heating

Like Tree11Likes

Old 02-01-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos
Default I want boiler work

One of the last areas of the trade that havent even touched.
How long did it take for you guys to get this type of work and did you ask for it or was it given to you?
I dont want to get complacent in my career and i want to keep leaning, thinking of just tossing it out to my manager an see what he thinks.
I Iike where i work so i see it as an investment in future skill.
dhal22 and MACPLUMB777 like this.
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
One of the last areas of the trade that havent even touched.
How long did it take for you guys to get this type of work and did you ask for it or was it given to you?
I dont want to get complacent in my career and i want to keep leaning, thinking of just tossing it out to my manager an see what he thinks.
I Iike where i work so i see it as an investment in future skill.

when I started plumbing I ended up bouncing around to several companies and learned new or different ways from each place I worked and each mechanic I worked with...
I think I was lucky to start out in new construction, a set of 40 condo units, I was able to see and watch a house built from the foundation up, it let me see ALL the mechanical systems go in and how they were layed out and installed, this let me actually see how they worked...
I think this helped down the line when renovations or repairs were needed and I can visualize the piping or how it should be...
heating systems and boilers where part of the new construction phase and I helped install and run heat..
and in time I did it on my own..
each company did boilers a little different and learning when and where certain ways of installation were needed..from hydronic to steam, baseboard, radiant,kick heaters....
there is alot to learn before you attempt it on your own...
if you dont get it where you work now, and I dont know your end game if you want your own business, but sometimes bouncing around from companies is the best way to learn different aspects of plumbing...but thats a personal call you have to make..
my best advice to you is to buy up all the books a Dan Holohan puts out, they are great and written with some humor but very down to earth and understandable to the common person...here is a link to his website, but buy the books, they cover all aspects of heating and all the old systems you come across..
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FA2LoM9o_pMwsw
Old 02-02-2020, 12:03 PM   #3

View powellmatthew76's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
when I started plumbing I ended up bouncing around to several companies and learned new or different ways from each place I worked and each mechanic I worked with...
I think I was lucky to start out in new construction, a set of 40 condo units, I was able to see and watch a house built from the foundation up, it let me see ALL the mechanical systems go in and how they were layed out and installed, this let me actually see how they worked...
I think this helped down the line when renovations or repairs were needed and I can visualize the piping or how it should be...
heating systems and boilers where part of the new construction phase and I helped install and run heat..
each company did boilers a little different and learning when and where certain ways of installation were needed..from hydronic to steam, baseboard, radiant,kick heaters....
if you dont get it where you work now, and I dont know your end game if you want your own business, but sometimes bouncing around from companies is the best way to learn different aspects of plumbing...but thats a personal call you have to make..
my best advice to you is to buy up all the books a Dan Holohan puts out, they are great and written with some humor but very down to earth and understandable to the common person...here is a link to his website, but buy the books, they cover all aspects of heating and all the old systems you come across..
Any other plumbing related favorite book recommendations would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
powellmatthew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Holy **** this website got tons of books!

Old 02-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellmatthew76 View Post
Any other plumbing related favorite book recommendations would be appreciated.

Dan Holohan covers almost everything you will need to know, and I like the way he writes, its done in a way that you understand whats going on, he has a way of explaining that catches on fast, many other books from other authors sound like engineering boring reading...you will be impressed by Dans books..they cover all those little secret tricks and trouble shooting tips you really need....and his books cover any type of heating you will come across...I bought his books 30 years ago, so I dont know how much of the new exotic technology is covered in any new books, if he has written anything new in the last years...
I have used his books to trouble shoot some crazy heating systems I never saw before, some of the older systems from 60 to 100 years ago can be a bit wacky to say the least...
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
powellmatthew76 (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Dan Holohan covers almost everything you will need to know, and I like the way he writes, its done in a way that you understand whats going on, he has a way of explaining that catches on fast, many other books from other authors sound like engineering boring reading...you will be impressed by Dans books..they cover all those little secret tricks and trouble shooting tips you really need....and his books cover any type of heating you will come across...I bought his books 30 years ago, so I dont know how much of the new exotic technology is covered in any new books, if he has written anything new in the last years...
Thanks man!

ShtRnsdownhill likes this.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by powellmatthew76 View Post
Thanks man!

my pleasure, grab a few of his books and you will see how easy reading they are and impart tons of useful knowledge without all the filler BS most writers put in...and you will get a few laughs from his stories..
Old 02-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #8

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

I Second Dan holohan's books are amazing.. I've been getting one book for my bday every year for last year.. tons of information.. and thanks to him hes helped me diagnose some problems along the way.. particular steam heating..

We have very few buildings left in my city with steam heat but we had pleasure of servicing a couple... and with help of dan I fixed a problem they had been dealing with for years..
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #9
3rd year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos

Keep asking questions. In my experience some guys will see it as weakness and assume that you don't know anything about anything else. Usually they are the ones who are insecure and aren't very good plumbers anyway, but some guys will be honored that you ask their advice and took interest and they'll soon be telling you more than you want to know. When you find one of them, hold on to him. Stay in touch when you move on. A six pack in thanks for a particularly enlightening day goes a long way.

And moving on is good advice too. A new company exposes you to new ideas. They don't yet know your strengths and more importantly your weaknesses, so have no preconceived apprehension about letting you try some new things. You have to prove yourself first with what you do know, but that's not too hard.

Keep in mind that some guys are excellent at what they do, but just cannot teach very well, and some you can learn best by what NOT to do. There used to be an old commercial that said "You can learn a lot from a dummy." So true.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeswiththeflow View Post
Keep asking questions. In my experience some guys will see it as weakness and assume that you don't know anything about anything else. Usually they are the ones who are insecure and aren't very good plumbers anyway, but some guys will be honored that you ask their advice and took interest and they'll soon be telling you more than you want to know. When you find one of them, hold on to him. Stay in touch when you move on. A six pack in thanks for a particularly enlightening day goes a long way.

And moving on is good advice too. A new company exposes you to new ideas. They don't yet know your strengths and more importantly your weaknesses, so have no preconceived apprehension about letting you try some new things. You have to prove yourself first with what you do know, but that's not too hard.

Keep in mind that some guys are excellent at what they do, but just cannot teach very well, and some you can learn best by what NOT to do. There used to be an old commercial that said "You can learn a lot from a dummy." So true.

I am still learning..you cant know everything about everything....and thats for existing stuff. now bring in all the new high tech stuff and you need a freaking electrical engineering degree to deal with all the computers and sensor crap in todays fixtures and boilers/heating equipment..
Tango likes this.