How to price/bid inflow heat new construction - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Boilers, Hot Water & Steam Heating

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 3 Post By ken53
  • 1 Post By Mark D
  • 1 Post By ken53

Old 11-02-2019, 02:17 AM   #1

View Mark D's Photo Album My Photos
Default How to price/bid inflow heat new construction

Hi, I was wondering if any of you can help me?I need to come up with a bid for a 3,000 square foot new house, three levels about 1,000 square foot per level, basement is a concrete slab and two levels of staple up, boiler will be a triangle tube and it will have a 60 gallon side arm water heater , 6 zones.. Is there a simple way to get a ball park figure with a per square foot formula???Ive heard anywhere from $8.00 to $16.00 per square foot, I want to be competitive but at same time don't want to be to high.the material costs is $15,700.00 including tax. What should I add for labor?????
Mark D is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 07:51 AM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Re-opened
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:50 PM   #3

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
Hi, I was wondering if any of you can help me?I need to come up with a bid for a 3,000 square foot new house, three levels about 1,000 square foot per level, basement is a concrete slab and two levels of staple up, boiler will be a triangle tube and it will have a 60 gallon side arm water heater , 6 zones.. Is there a simple way to get a ball park figure with a per square foot formula???Ive heard anywhere from $8.00 to $16.00 per square foot, I want to be competitive but at same time don't want to be to high.the material costs is $15,700.00 including tax. What should I add for labor?????

you need to give alot more detail..thats like asking a price for a pickup truck and just saying 4 x 4 chevy....

are you insulating the staple up? are you using metal channels? how many different heat zones? carpet, tile, wood ?
are you insulating under the slab? are you putting the wire down ?
whats your labor rate per hour that side of town?
MASTRPLUMB and Mark D like this.
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #4

View ken53's Photo Album My Photos

Have you ever done any radiant floor heat before. IE. in concrete the normal is 12 hours per 1000 square feet.

You need to break down each area and figure your labour, this is just what you pay yourself and any help plus taxes and benefits.

Then figure all your costs, labour, permits, fees, rental equipment, subcontracts EI, electrical you have to pay for on your install, site storage makes a difference in the cost, a house like this could have a spec, that calls for a system flow balancing certificate.

Then you multiply it by 1.06 that should be your number for missed costs.

The job bid should be these costs pull your profit. That depends on how hungry your competition is some area it could be as low as 15% or 1.15 X cost. In your area you may get away with 40% or 1.40 X cost.

Read the prints specs. Per Square foot isn't always the best way to go.
skoronesa, MASTRPLUMB and Mark D like this.
ken53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
you need to give alot more detail..thats like asking a price for a pickup truck and just saying 4 x 4 chevy....

are you insulating the staple up? are you using metal channels? how many different heat zones? carpet, tile, wood ?
are you insulating under the slab? are you putting the wire down ?
whats your labor rate per hour that side of town?
The general contractor is doing all the insulation, Its just going to be staple up under subfloor mostly wood and tile for floors the slab will be stained concrete and the slab is twist ties to wire grid, my material cost is $15,700 at six zones with triple tube boiler ,60 gallon side arm WH and the zones have individual pumps so the boiler room has a bit of pipework which will be fun but I have a feeling theres going to be a change to 7 or eight zones which I can figure the material up price, joist layout is tough on upper level so that should be challenging to pull, Anyway I pretty much work t&m for this contractor but know I will be under charging for job on that basis so trying to figure what labor is really worth on a job like this .My sliding scale is between 65.00 to 85.00 per hour.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken53 View Post
Have you ever done any radiant floor heat before. IE. in concrete the normal is 12 hours per 1000 square feet.

You need to break down each area and figure your labour, this is just what you pay yourself and any help plus taxes and benefits.

Then figure all your costs, labour, permits, fees, rental equipment, subcontracts EI, electrical you have to pay for on your install, site storage makes a difference in the cost, a house like this could have a spec, that calls for a system flow balancing certificate.

Then you multiply it by 1.06 that should be your number for missed costs.

The job bid should be these costs pull your profit. That depends on how hungry your competition is some area it could be as low as 15% or 1.15 X cost. In your area you may get away with 40% or 1.40 X cost.

Read the prints specs. Per Square foot isn't always the best way to go.
Thanks for advise!Ive been lucky to mostly work with fair people, I hate bidding jobs but usually do better when I do cause I cover myself, Last heating job I did was a three plex with tri tube boiler and those fancy panel radiators which I really like, Anyway I got the job on a t&m agreement and when I billed for it they gave me a $7,000 tip cause they said I did it for $10,000 less than the lowest bid....
skoronesa likes this.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #7
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Thank goodness it has been ages since I had to worry about bidding. Many manuals today unlike the 20 plus years ago when I had to deal with it.

https://www.planswift.com/?utm_sourc...iAAEgKoZ_D_BwE

https://www.radiantec.com/pricing/ball-park-estimates/

https://www.remodelingcalculator.org...-heating-cost/
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #8

View ken53's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
Thanks for advise!Ive been lucky to mostly work with fair people, I hate bidding jobs but usually do better when I do cause I cover myself, Last heating job I did was a three plex with tri tube boiler and those fancy panel radiators which I really like, Anyway I got the job on a t&m agreement and when I billed for it they gave me a $7,000 tip cause they said I did it for $10,000 less than the lowest bid....
You need to take this with a grain of Salt. If he said you were under by $10,000.00 and he gave you a $7,000.00 tip. You could be a lot more than $10,000.00 under he gave you the money to keep you happy and pricing low.

That's my experience with General Contractors.
skoronesa likes this.
ken53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken53 View Post
You need to take this with a grain of Salt. If he said you were under by $10,000.00 and he gave you a $7,000.00 tip. You could be a lot more than $10,000.00 under he gave you the money to keep you happy and pricing low.

That's my experience with General Contractors.
Damn.