New Member Here - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree14Likes
  • 6 Post By Diehard1st
  • 1 Post By Tango
  • 1 Post By BC73RS
  • 1 Post By The Dane
  • 1 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 1 Post By dhal22
  • 1 Post By PLUMBER_BILL
  • 1 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 1 Post By Tommy plumber

Old 09-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #1

View Diehard1st's Photo Album My Photos
Default New Member Here

So I started my plumbing career as a helper when I was about 12 years old. Working with my father. Was pouring and caulking lead joints at about 14 years old. Back in the day when my father required me to cut the C.I. soil pipe with a chisel and hammer. Working primarily on older houses in Boston,MA. It was common to be replacing old fine threaded brass pipe with copper tubing. Came across some lead water services back then which sometimes had very low pressure and would require that a steel ball be pumped back through the service line to the main in the street. This was done by the city.

When I started helping my plumber brother, that worked primarily on new homes in the late 50's, I believe it was, had the luxury of using PVC pipe instead of C.I.soil pipe.

I got into pipe drafting and ended up working for a major environmental engineering firm. While there I transferred into the Plumbing Dept where along with outside plumbing and fire protection design courses learned to design plumbing systems for Water and Wastewater Treatment plants. Mostly the bigger picture stuff with the smaller stuff like bathrooms were left to plumbing contractors and code compliance.
Generally would design water services and distribution systems for our treatment plant bldgs, along with all related treatment plant requirements such as sump pumps, large roof drainage systems with required overflow systems, Emergency Showers and Eyewash systems with required tepid water systems. Gas piping systems. The big picture Fire Suppression system requirement, including sizing fire pumps. Detail design of fire suppression piping was typically left to the contractors. Hydrant flow test, Backflow Protection requirements and basis of detail design, dictated and checked by me. Etc, etc, etc, for the many varied requirements that came with supporting the clean water act, environmental treatment and cleanup programs.

Worked there for just short of 40 years before I retired.
I now enjoy reading many of the varied plumbing problems and enjoy learning the many details things that I didn't have the need to get into. Although I had to read my share of plumbing codes, Cross connection regulations, NFPA Codes.

Oh yeah, went to our local plumbers union where I was allowed to learn to test Reduced Pressure Backflow Protectors and earn my testers certificate. Also took short course on Cross Connection Surveying and got certified. Surveyed a hospital or 2 and since my company did a lot of work for Washington DC, I was asked to survey the Arlington National Cemetery for cross connection violations.

Not only do I enjoy learning more about plumbing and related areas, I'm told learning new things every day can help put off Dementia.
BC73RS, chonkie, skoronesa and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Diehard1st; 09-06-2019 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: spelling, etc
Diehard1st is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diehard1st For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (09-08-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome aboard! Just one thing do not feed the DIY "Do it yourself"! However you can join on in the jokes.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #3

View BC73RS's Photo Album My Photos

I'm sure your experience will come in handy here for sure.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
BC73RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #4

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome aboard. I hope you will be actively participating in the threads.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Dane For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (09-08-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 09:51 PM   #5

View MASTRPLUMB's Photo Album My Photos
Talking

Welcome to the PLUMBING ZONE !
The Greatest Plumbing Forum on the Internet !

From Deep Down in the Heart of TEXAS the Greatest State in the Land ! !
MASTRPLUMB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:07 AM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

welcome aboard....
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #7

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome!
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #8
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE=Diehard1st;1212602]So I started my plumbing career as a helper when I was about 12 years old. Working with my father. Was pouring and caulking lead joints at about 14 years old. Back in the day when my father required me to cut the C.I. soil pipe with a chisel and hammer. <SNIP>

Hell you might be older than I. Cutting cast iron with hammer and chisel was the norm back then. Along with a host of other items you don't see any more.
Like this old bend.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #9

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=PLUMBER_BILL;1212802]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard1st View Post
So I started my plumbing career as a helper when I was about 12 years old. Working with my father. Was pouring and caulking lead joints at about 14 years old. Back in the day when my father required me to cut the C.I. soil pipe with a chisel and hammer. <SNIP>

Hell you might be older than I. Cutting cast iron with hammer and chisel was the norm back then. Along with a host of other items you don't see any more.
Like this old bend.

when ever I rip out an old bathroom or walls in an old house its interesting to see the " old way" plumbers use to do it...and sometimes wonder how the heII they were able to do it that way...
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #10

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome aboard sir, great to have you.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.