Maintenance Technician Intro - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

View MaintenanceTech's Photo Album My Photos
Default Maintenance Technician Intro

Hi, I'm a Facilities Maintenance Technician, trained through Cascades Job Corps, went to Advanced Training through Edison Job Corps, there I trained as a Drain Service Technician.

Now I'm studying more math for the math examination for Apprenticeship with the UA. Currently working as a Plumbing Sales Associate at Home Depot. Assisting customers with fixing/repairing their plumbing systems and doing it right.

I can disassemble and reassemble a Single Control Shower Valve Assembly with my eyes closed lol! Can do the same for the cartridges found in one and two handle sink fixtures lol, and can discuss in detail why you want to raise your drain to the toilet, prior to tiling around it. (one of the most common toilet leaking issues I find myself discussing with customers who learned the hard way)

I'm also knowledgeable in the installation and differences between various types of water heaters, and their major components/troubleshooting needs. I can also troubleshoot/fix globe and gate valves, and have formal experience in running the DWV and Water Lines to a home for the Plumbing Rough-in, and finish plumbing work.

Overall, I'm here dominantly to learn more about the trade. In a few months I'll be undergoing schooling to become a Licensed IAPMO Plumbing Inspector.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
Registered Member

View U666A's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaintenanceTech View Post
Hi, I'm a Facilities Maintenance Technician, trained through Cascades Job Corps, went to Advanced Training through Edison Job Corps, there I trained as a Drain Service Technician.

Now I'm studying more math for the math examination for Apprenticeship with the UA. Currently working as a Plumbing Sales Associate at Home Depot. Assisting customers with fixing/repairing their plumbing systems and doing it right.

I can disassemble and reassemble a Single Control Shower Valve Assembly with my eyes closed lol! Can do the same for the cartridges found in one and two handle sink fixtures lol, and can discuss in detail why you want to raise your drain to the toilet, prior to tiling around it. (one of the most common toilet leaking issues I find myself discussing with customers who learned the hard way)

I'm also knowledgeable in the installation and differences between various types of water heaters, and their major components/troubleshooting needs. I can also troubleshoot/fix globe and gate valves, and have formal experience in running the DWV and Water Lines to a home for the Plumbing Rough-in, and finish plumbing work.

Overall, I'm here dominantly to learn more about the trade. In a few months I'll be undergoing schooling to become a Licensed IAPMO Plumbing Inspector.
Ok... You're going about it the right way... Sorta.

First, as a card carrying UA member, let me tell you that you don't know as much as needed, and you have insulted the majority of active members here by pretending otherwise.

Second, by presenting yourself as a HD employee while claiming the above is just assinine imho.

Third... A home inspector? Seriously?!?

Lose the chip on your shoulder, realize you're among professionals whom have forgotten more than you're likely to learn in the next 15 years, and be very humble about your membership here.

Other than that, welcome!

Last edited by Airgap; 01-30-2013 at 09:07 AM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to U666A For This Useful Post:
422 plumber (01-30-2013), Adamche (01-30-2013), bcp2012 (01-30-2013), Gettinit (01-30-2013), Mississippiplum (01-30-2013), UN1TED-WE-PLUMB (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #3
Watcha Got

View Gettinit's Photo Album My Photos

I love it. You don't know anything at all and you want to be an inspector?! Please tell us some more about what all you know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gettinit For This Useful Post:
rjbphd (01-30-2013), UN1TED-WE-PLUMB (01-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U666A View Post
Ok... You're going about it the right way... Sorta.

First, as a card carrying UA member, let me tell you that you don't know sht, and you have insulted the majority of active members here by pretending otherwise.

Second, by presenting yourself as a HD employee while claiming the above is just assinine imho.

Third... A home inspector? Seriously?!?

Lose the chip on your shoulder, realize you're among professionals whom have forgotten more than you're likely to learn in the next 15 years, and be very humble about your membership here.

Other than that, welcome!
Plumbing Inspector Licensing would be for commercial, residential has different class requirements I have a smart-alik nature, I apologize if it comes off as being offensive.

My education is pre-HD, not much of it is post-HD. (9.5 months of schooling vs 2 days of schooling, big difference, with respect)

Taking the Plumbing Inspectors Course (IAPMO Certification for the UPC) to learn more about Plumbing in the mean-time while biding for the entrance exam.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettinit View Post
I love it. You don't know anything at all and you want to be an inspector?! Please tell us some more about what all you know.
On the contrary, I don't care to be an inspector, just to be certified as one. (Boosts points for Apprenticeship Application) i want to be an Apprentice, there is, with respect a difference.

edit:

It takes a lot less to be certified as a Plumbing Inspector than you may think. In less than one year I can be a complete/fully licensed building inspector for everything from the concrete foundation to the electrical, plumbing, HVAC, fire, and utilities system inspector. All it takes is a few classes at a college and sit in for the exams and you're done. I only care to take the Plumbing Inspectors Certification Course for the IAPMO on the UPC because it would add points to my overall application for Apprenticeship.

I never said I cared at all to actually work as an inspector.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 AM   #6

View dclarke's Photo Album My Photos

For some reason I read that in my head with an Indian accent. Dot not feather. Welcome aboard. Help the customers at home depot.....tell them to call a plumber.
The Following User Says Thank You to dclarke For This Useful Post:
johntheplumber (02-18-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #7

View bcp2012's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaintenanceTech

On the contrary, I don't care to be an inspector, just to be certified as one. (Boosts points for Apprenticeship Application) i want to be an Apprentice, there is, with respect a difference.
As far as I'm concerned a plumbing inspector should be a licensed plumber. Most inspectors learn what they know from books not from being on the tools or in the trenches. As for being a sales associate giving advice to H.O. That's the blind leading the blind. I've seen and heard more sales associates giving bad advice to handy hacks and home owners then I can count.

Sent from my iPhone
The Following User Says Thank You to bcp2012 For This Useful Post:
love2surf927 (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
Registered Member

View TX MECH PLUMBER's Photo Album My Photos

So ur not an apprentice. Your not in the ua and you work at homo depot and have had some classes. And want to be what kind if inspector ??
Idk man. No app card ..... And did maintenance ??? Probably a jack of all trades guy.

I say thumbs ..... Down for u !!! Come back when u get a job plumbing

Ps helping home owners to DIY is something we hate!!! Ur taking money out of our pocket!!! You tell ho how to install nat. Gas water heater ?? I bet so. God help us
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TX MECH PLUMBER For This Useful Post:
johnlewismcleod (01-30-2013), love2surf927 (01-30-2013), Mississippiplum (01-30-2013), rjbphd (01-30-2013), UN1TED-WE-PLUMB (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
Registered Member

View TX MECH PLUMBER's Photo Album My Photos

Retread ur post. And ur just a un experienced tech. Htf can you tell some one how to trouble shoot any thing. A closet flange is the term we use taking apart a valve in homo deepthroat ain't chit I crack up when I have to go ther and see idiots in orange vest telling ho how to hack it up. Lmao. Get an app card a a real plumbing job then come see me and maybe il let you carry my tool bag !!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:04 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX MECH PLUMBER View Post
So ur not an apprentice. Your not in the ua and you work at homo depot and have had some classes. And want to be what kind if inspector ??
Idk man. No app card ..... And did maintenance ??? Probably a jack of all trades guy.

I say thumbs ..... Down for u !!! Come back when u get a job plumbing

Ps helping home owners to DIY is something we hate!!! Ur taking money out of our pocket!!! You tell ho how to install nat. Gas water heater ?? I bet so. God help us
Sir, I can't even make heads or tails of what you just said. I think I do, but at the same time I don't.

To clarify, I did Facilities Maintenance-Carpentry, Masonry, Mechanical Repair, Plumbing, HVAC, and Electrical. Training was geared to maintaining/repairing apartment complexes.

Drain Service Technician Course was for constructing, and maintaining DWV systems.

Home Depot Stores, fyi, have Licensed Plumbers and Electricians working in them, and Home Depot itself employs Plumbing Contractors to install at Customer's homes. (double edged sword, sorry you hate us, our Licensed Plumbing Contractors don't seem to have issues)

I fail to see how it makes you lose money, when educating consumers on all tasks needing to be done, and how to go about doing it largely discourages them from doing it themselves at all. (which is where At Home Services kicks in and we send in Plumbers to do it for them)

In other cases, it's $2.50 to change the seats and springs. Or $3 to change a flapper, I fail to see how that is any significant drop in your profits. Anyways, doesn't quite make sense why professional businessmen would be up in arms and so anxious to freak out over something so.... Small.
Closed Thread