Looking for Advice for A New Apprentice - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ace4548
  • 1 Post By GAN

Old 06-08-2017, 06:46 PM   #1

View MrJustinTate's Photo Album My Photos
Cool Looking for Advice for A New Apprentice

So, I am a 33 year old single father who has full time custody of a 3 year old girl. A while back I decided to go to school, after having enough of having no trade. I have done very well. I have a 3.8 GPA and only need 3 more classes for my associates. I have recently decided to pursue a Bachelors of Science in Construction Management.

Recently, I applied for an received a TEMP job making very competing wages in the DFW area. My initial plans are to work from 7-3 and then go to school at night.

By the grace of God, I was staffed with a company called TDIndustries. It has worked out great. They have shown a sincere desire for me to come be a "partner" in their company. They have been on Fortune Magazines Top 100 companies to work for the last 20 years. They also are on the top 30 to retire from.

I also met some fellas out of Local Union 100 in Dallas, that have been working with us. One is a second year Apprentice, the other is 4th year. They have told me what they perceive the benefits of going union to be.

I have studied a lot about TDIndustries, and what the local Union has to offer.

Would anyone be willing to share some advice? What would they do in my situation? To help clarify, I am a convicted felon for Escaping from City's jail 16 years ago. No trouble since. I do not wish to travel all around due to my daughter. I would be willing however to move for long stretches of time in the future. 1-2 years plus being the minimum.

Does anyone have any advice on what they would do? I am leaning towards working with TDIndustries, and going to school at night due to the Tuition ReImbursement. What degree path would any of you suggest for someone like me who would like to learn the trade over the next 5 years minimum, but more like decades and also invest in my education to further my potential.

I honestly will choose to get my education even if it is something that doesn't provide huge benefit financially.

Please help. I am 33 years old, a Recovering Addict who is simply trying to make the best of his life, and to help raise a little girl to be a better person than I ever was.

Grateful for any/all input that is offered.

Thank you in advance.

Justin Tate

Arlington, Texas

Right now we are building the new arena in Ft Worth. Our company and this crew has done the Arizona Cardinals Stadium, Cowboys Stadium and practice facility, tons and tons of projects in DFW and Texas. Sounds to me like there will always be work in DFW, if that provides any needed info.
MrJustinTate is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2017, 07:08 PM   #2

View ace4548's Photo Album My Photos

I am Union, and it does provide many benefits . I don't know how your local gets new apprentices. In my local, you have to find your own apprenticeship, and usually serve a 1 year pre-apprenticeship. I'm honestly not trying to rip on you at all, but all the companies I know, won't look at you with a felony on your record. It may be different where you are, and they might make exceptions for someone like you.

Keep working hard, and being a good father. If TD seems like a great company, go there. I love being Union, but no ill will on the other side.
goob likes this.
ace4548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:42 PM   #3

View MrJustinTate's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4548 View Post
I am Union, and it does provide many benefits . I don't know how your local gets new apprentices. In my local, you have to find your own apprenticeship, and usually serve a 1 year pre-apprenticeship. I'm honestly not trying to rip on you at all, but all the companies I know, won't look at you with a felony on your record. It may be different where you are, and they might make exceptions for someone like you.

Keep working hard, and being a good father. If TD seems like a great company, go there. I love being Union, but no ill will on the other side.
Thank you for your contribution. Glad to see someone who doesn't trash the other side than what they are on.

Where I am at, it depends on your Felony. Due to my age, and it being something as simple as running away from jail, it's not as bad as I once thought. Union Number 100 has other felons in it from what I heard.
MrJustinTate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

From looking at the company, as you said they are highly rated. They also seem well diversified which will help a lot in keeping employees busy. If you can get in go for it and learn as much as you can. Your a little behind the curve since most apprentices are younger when they start.

Joining a union is the best way to learn, all points are covered. Working for a non-union company often the training is lacking.

If it is as you stated and they will work with you being a felon, you can't go wrong. There are to many companies that would not give you a second look because of that. You still may be restricted as to what projects you may be able to work on. Often government jobs may well restrict your company from sending you out but they should have many other opportunities.

I applaud your honesty and mentioning your problem, that takes a lot of strength. Your on the right track be the best Father you can be and keep yourself out of trouble,
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #5
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome To The ZONE !
[email protected]
MACPLUMB777 is offline   Reply With Quote