Intro - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > New Member Introductions

Like Tree21Likes

Old 03-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #1

View Expo Engineer's Photo Album My Photos
Default Intro

Hi all! I'm not sure if there's a dedicated intro form or if I just need to post an intro to the page...

Anyway, I'm a 6th year facilities engineer and journeyman limited maintenance electrician. Prior to that I was a residential & commercial HVAC tech for 9 years. I'm not a licensed plumber but I do a lot of plumbing repairs at my facility. We do hire out for the big jobs such as new piping, grease traps, & sprinkler work. I recently got my backflow tester certification and have done 1 round of testing so far (25 assemblies). I do all the fixture (toilets, sinks, disposals) repairs and replacements. I'm here for occasional advice since my experience in this field is limited. Thanks and glad to be here!
Expo Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expo Engineer View Post
Hi all! I'm not sure if there's a dedicated intro form or if I just need to post an intro to the page...

Anyway, I'm a 6th year facilities engineer and journeyman limited maintenance electrician. Prior to that I was a residential & commercial HVAC tech for 9 years. I'm not a licensed plumber but I do a lot of plumbing repairs at my facility. We do hire out for the big jobs such as new piping, grease traps, & sprinkler work. I recently got my backflow tester certification and have done 1 round of testing so far (25 assemblies). I do all the fixture (toilets, sinks, disposals) repairs and replacements. I'm here for occasional advice since my experience in this field is limited. Thanks and glad to be here!

what type of engineer are you? do you have any licensing or certifications that meet the below criteria?
Who's Allowed to Join PlumbingZone.com

PlumbingZone is a site for Plumbing Professionals only, who are interested in promoting and improving the Plumbing trade. In our community the term "Plumbing Professional" refers to the following persons:
  • Master Plumber, Plumbing Contractor, Journeyman Plumber, Pipe Fitter, Apprentice Plumber, and Plumbing Helper, Plumbing Inspectors and Plumbing Engineers.
  • Plumbing Business Owners and Operators including management positions and their support staff. (Operations Manager, Service Manager, Project Manager, Superintendents, Customer Service, etc.)
  • Drain Cleaning, Fire Sprinkler, Hydronic Heating, Boiler, Steam, Chiller, Municipal Water and Wastewater, Potable Water Treatment, Septic System, Water Well, Wastewater Treatment.
The above outline is what we as a community consider to be a Plumbing Professional on the PlumbingZone. It was developed with input from a wide variety of our members that work in different areas of the trade.

If you do not see your particular aspect of the trade listed, but still consider yourself a Plumbing Professional, please send your request for inclusion to one of the Moderators via private message. Addressing this issue with individual members is to be done by the Administrator and Moderators ONLY.

As stated above PlumbingZone.com is designed to be a pros only community and that means that "Do It Yourself" homeowners looking for free advice and other non-professionals are not allowed to join the site. If you need help with a plumbing project we highly recommend you join DIYChatroom.com where you will find some great advice and a friendly community.

This is just an FAQ tutorial thread. If you have additional questions or need help with this topic, please start a new thread in our Site Help and Suggestions section.
MACPLUMB777 (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #3

Default Intro

Anyway, I'm a 6th year facilities engineer and journeyman limited maintenance electrician. Prior to that I was a residential & commercial HVAC tech for 9 years. I'm not a licensed plumber but I do a lot of plumbing repairs at my facility. I'm the only operating engineer at my facility of 400k sq ft with build dates from 1927 to 2002 and I do just about all of the maintenance and repairs. We do hire out for the big jobs such as new piping, grease traps, & sprinkler work. I recently got my backflow tester certification and have done 1 round of testing so far (25 assemblies). I'm here for occasional advice since my experience in this field is limited. Thanks and glad to be here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Anyway, I'm a 6th year facilities engineer and journeyman limited maintenance electrician. Prior to that I was a residential & commercial HVAC tech for 9 years. I'm not a licensed plumber but I do a lot of plumbing repairs at my facility. I'm the only operating engineer at my facility of 400k sq ft with build dates from 1927 to 2002 and I do just about all of the maintenance and repairs. We do hire out for the big jobs such as new piping, grease traps, & sprinkler work. I recently got my backflow tester certification and have done 1 round of testing so far (25 assemblies). I'm here for occasional advice since my experience in this field is limited. Thanks and glad to be here!

How did you obtain this certificate and how extensive it is, is it like a 4 hour online course or group course with a mini test at the end where the entire group always pass? Is this certificate recognized by the state?
MACPLUMB777 likes this.

Last edited by Tango; 03-04-2020 at 03:56 PM..
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #5

The backflow tester course is 40 hours (8hrs/day for a week) with a test at the end. The course was done through the water technologies program at a local community college and is recognized by the state. Unfortunately the course only covers testing and doesn't really cover repairs. Testing a device will indicate a problem if there is one but there are some specifics that aren't covered (especially since there are so many different types of devices).
Old 03-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
The backflow tester course is 40 hours (8hrs/day for a week) with a test at the end. The course was done through the water technologies program at a local community college and is recognized by the state. Unfortunately the course only covers testing and doesn't really cover repairs. Testing a device will indicate a problem if there is one but there are some specifics that aren't covered (especially since there are so many different types of devices).

I think you are getting closer to being a member, the reason we ask and break chops on credentials is we dont want ANY DIY hacks....the only purpose they serve is entertainment to break their balls...
its not my decision to make its one of the moderators that will make the final determination for membership...
you have responded respectfully and havent caught an attitude that many do asking for proper credentials so that is a good start...
skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:58 PM   #7

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Hi all! ........... I'm not a licensed plumber but I do a lot of plumbing repairs at my facility. We do hire out for the big jobs such as new piping, grease traps, & sprinkler work. I recently got my backflow tester certification ......I do all the fixture (toilets, sinks, disposals) repairs and replacements.............

We don't actually require you to have a plumbing license to be a member here, you just have to practice plumbing proffesionally, aka do it for money because it is your gainful employment. Not all states/locales require licenses for plumbing work.

Here's a list of questions that will let you show us what you know quickly so we can vet you.

Abs or pvc?

Glue AND primer on pvc or do you just hack it with the blue stuff?

Fernco, mission/husky, 2 band, or 4 band no hub?

Sweat or propress?

Uponor, viega, or garbage?

Does a toilet count as a cleanout?

Sloan valves or garbage?

Flapper, exploding flushmate, or garbage?

Lastly, this statement is true or false; "Any person who neglects to stop or actively facilitates the installation of a waterless urinal should be drawn and quartered."

Some of these are opinion based and thus subjective. All wrong answers will net your a hot torch to your "tool bag" lolz

MACPLUMB777 likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:07 PM   #8

View chonkie's Photo Album My Photos

Technically it isn't glue, it's solvent weld cement.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
chonkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #9
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos

I always just hack it with the blue glue !
skoronesa likes this.
[email protected]
MACPLUMB777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

We don't actually require you to have a plumbing license to be a member here, you just have to practice plumbing proffesionally, aka do it for money because it is your gainful employment. Not all states/locales require licenses for plumbing work.

Here's a list of questions that will let you show us what you know quickly so we can vet you.

Abs or pvc?

Fernco, mission/husky, 2 band, or 4 band no hub?

Sweat or propress?

Uponor, viega, or garbage?

Does a toilet count as a cleanout?

Sloan valves or garbage?

Flapper, exploding flushmate, or garbage?

Lastly, this statement is true or false; "Any person who neglects to stop or actively facilitates the installation of a waterless urinal should be drawn and quartered."

Some of these are opinion based and thus subjective. All wrong answers will net your a hot torch to your "tool bag" lolz

ABS or PVC: depends on the application and location

Glue AND primer on pvc or do you just hack it with the blue stuff?: cement & primer 99% of the time. I repair things when careless people break things. I don't want my poor work to require a repair. I'm too busy!

Fernco, mission/husky, 2 band, or 4 band no hub?:
I've only used 2-band Ferncos. I leave the big stuff for licensed contractors.

Sweat or propress?:
I sweat most everything (or braze depending on pressure requirements). I love propress and had one at my previous location but my current facility can't justify the expense and I wouldn't need it enough to justify the cost.

Uponor, viega, or garbage?:
I have no idea what you're talking about

Does a toilet count as a cleanout?:
Uh, no. Kinda hard to get a scope or large snake through a toilet.

Sloan valves or garbage?:
I use a lot of Sloan stuff but not necessarily by choice. We have a lot of the Sloan EBV550 auto flush valves here. I've had a lot of problems with those. We either have a lot of ghosts or it's a bad design. Lots of phantom flushes. Also, does anyone still install Sloan naval flushometers or do you swap them out with Royal whenever they have problems?

Flapper, exploding flushmate, or garbage?:
We have 2 flushmate toilets here, both were repaired by an outside technician under warranty. I haven't messed with them but they do seem needlessly complicated and I have no idea why they were installed in the first place.

Lastly, this statement is true or false; "Any person who neglects to stop or actively facilitates the installation of a waterless urinal should be drawn and quartered.":
I've never worked with one but I've used them. Pretty smelly! I would never install one at my facility.

Got any more for me? And BTW I contacted Watts tech support to get the answer to my original question and reason for coming to this forum. Turns out that the 009QT RP should have been installed with a check valve to prevent downstream hammering. Wasn't actually a problem with the device.