Fresh cut Texas Tradesman - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > New Member Introductions

Old 02-27-2016, 12:03 AM   #1

View Jungle Plumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default Fresh cut Texas Tradesman

Id like to introduce myself and rant a little at the same time. My name is Jim, and im a recently licensed Tradesman Plumber in the fine state of Texas. 2.5 years in the trade specializing in service mostly. Tradesman may be a designation unique to texas but its like an early Journeyman, or as I like to call it, the gifted and talented award. In Texas you must apprentice for 4 years to become a Journeyman, 2 years to become a Tradesman. But both require you to pass the same state exam. Anyway im proud to say ive achieved my Tradesman title recently. Im lean left politically and im a music fanatic. Ive been a jungle dj for 10 years and a producer for about 4. I am 32.
Enough chit chat and on to the rant. I plumb diligently and to the best of my ability between the hours of 8 and 5 on weekdays and outside that spectrum I give nary a damn about your plumbing problems. I am currently employed full time and I have been since my very first day on the job. I am now with my second employer and looking for a third. Heres the rub my brothers, I work for a company that isnt always on the up and up. While a master owns the company and I work alongside side some good plumbers, ive just come to the conclusion that I work for a ****ty ass company. Firstly, these other plumbers (while skilled) do not possess any licenses despite plumbing for a decade or more, which leaves me as the only licensed plumber on the team in who knows how long. How we have been passing inspections and working on all kinds of jobs with no supervision is indeed a mystery to me. There has never been any talk about safety procedures or ppe available, our vans break down on the reg, boss pays **** and doesnt pay overtime, no lunch break but were cut a half hour a day anyway, and while I clock in and wear a company shirt and drive a company van- I am payed as a " contractor" so there arent any taxes taken or medical, vacation, etc etc. I know this is not legit but ive learned a lot of stuff here and really my boss is a nice guy. But you have to hear this next part to understand why I came here and decided to connect and rant.

About 6 months ago I told my boss I needed a raise from 13 to 15 an hour because im worth it. Ive been operating a service vehicle independently and going the extra mile and earning this dude some serious coin. Not to mention wearing my body out. After two solid years of ass busting I thought this was a reasonable request, and so did he. But he said "I know youre going for that tradesman, tell ya what, stay at 13 and ill bump you up to 17 when your get your tman". Ffw to a week ago, I go in and say I got my license man lets start the pay! Well whaddaya know boss wants to "talk it over" long story short he can only bump me to 15.50. WTF *******. Says the others will leave if I pay you more than them. Also says I refuse to do on call which is a ****ed up program that he recently agreed to take me off anyway! So here I am, a plumber working outside the legal scope of what an apprentice should do and patiently waiting on an empty promise for a solid 6 months. I had many plans riding on this raise not to mention having to come back to the missus with this kind of defeating news. Absolutely heartbreaking. Well im seriously pissed and have a mind to ring the tsbpe about all this but ive been just keeping my chin up and actually putting in some pretty serious work this last week. Havent had a chance to get out and apply for a new one lol. But looking forward to it. Anyway this has already been terribly long winded. I apologize. Ive been lurking here for a while and I thought today was a good day to come out of the water closet and let it all hang loose. Thanks for listening and after I get over this bump in the road hopefully I can meet some people on here and start making some grown up money and raise a damn family off this wonderful trade!
Any questions, comments, criticisms welcome. Thanks yall, cheers!
Jungle Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jungle Plumber For This Useful Post:
skoronesa (03-15-2016), Tommy plumber (03-14-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 12:33 AM   #2

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Here comes Debbie Downer, seriously though intros are supposed to be happy. Welcome I guess.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:44 AM   #3

Well not exactly. Like I said im staying positive and this is the career ive dedicated myself to. The problems im facing are what motivated me to post today. I didnt read anywhere that introductions are required to be happy but hey, I did say questions, comments, and criticisms welcome. Thank you Debo pleased to meetcha!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle Plumber For This Useful Post:
Debo22 (02-27-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2016, 12:59 AM   #4
rwh

View rwh's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome. The world isn't all candy canes and unicorns. Hang in there
rwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:21 AM   #5

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Plumber View Post
Well not exactly. Like I said im staying positive and this is the career ive dedicated myself to. The problems im facing are what motivated me to post today. I didnt read anywhere that introductions are required to be happy but hey, I did say questions, comments, and criticisms welcome. Thank you Debo pleased to meetcha!
Intros don't need to be happy. It's like when meeting someone for the first time and they say how ya doing you always say I'm fine, how are you? No matter how bad of a day you're having. Anyway pleasure to meet you Jungle Plumber and great to have you on the plumbing zone!
Attached Thumbnails
Fresh cut Texas Tradesman-image.jpg  

Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Plumber View Post
Intros don't need to be happy. It's like when meeting someone for the first time and they say how ya doing you always say I'm fine, how are you? No matter how bad of a day you're having. Anyway pleasure to meet you Jungle Plumber and great to have you on the plumbing zone!

Hahaha! yes point taken you are correct in that respect. Probably came off a little abrasive. Something to remember me by First post jitters maybe. I havent been on a forum in a loooong time. And I dont discuss work much with anyone other than coworkers. Got a little excited and jumped the gun! My bad plomeros I apologize. Not to self: dont drink a six pack and make your first forum post.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jungle Plumber For This Useful Post:
Debo22 (02-27-2016), skoronesa (03-15-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome to the the zone !
[email protected]
MACPLUMB777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:31 PM   #8

View wharfrat's Photo Album My Photos

The grass may be greener at another company, or not.

Welcome to the zone jungle.
wharfrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #9

View Paul4813's Photo Album My Photos

Just to set the record straight for those of you non-Texans. A tradesmen license allows the licensee to work only on one and two family dwellings, no commercial work until you pass the journeyman....legally at least!!

Welcome bro, if your anywhere near San Antonio, there are companies starving for good plumbers.
Paul4813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #10

I just recieved my card and certificate today. Its really nice and official looking stuff. Im a proud man today. Thanks yall. Looking forward to some licensed plumbing and I bought a couple sweet tools to commerorate the occasion. A ridgid pvc cutter and 18 in pipe wrench. Set me back a solid 120 but they will last me longer than this husky stuff! Which I wont knock too hard, the husky wrenches I have now are pretty decent honestly. Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle Plumber For This Useful Post: