Electric Soldering Machines for Sale - Page 3 - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbers Swap


Like Tree27Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #21
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,860

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
https://www.garrettwade.com/copper-p...CABEgIxo_D_BwE


I got one of those used on ebay cheap with the 1/2" and 3/4" heads. It heats up pipe very quick. It's basically like someone took two 60w soldering irons and joined them like scissors. The heads slip on and stay with a set screw.




.

I was looking at those very closely but they had negative reviews so I didn't get a pair. If you say they do the job well for 1/2 and 3/4 I'm going to get one.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-16-2019, 08:33 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,612

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I was looking at those very closely but they had negative reviews so I didn't get a pair. If you say they do the job well for 1/2 and 3/4 I'm going to get one.
I too saw the negative reviews and was apprehensive but I had originally found out about thse on a uk plumbing forum where lots of real uk plumbers swear by them. I figure most of the bad reviews were diy trying not to burn down their house because they couldn't handle a torch and the odd plumber who has never used a soldering iron before.

I saw a great deal on ebay with both sets of jaws so I got them. I had trouble at first but it was just because I left them on too long and burnt the flux. They heat up really quickly. Also, you grip the pipe not the fitting. It is weird and takes some practice but in those cases where you risk lighting the 100yr old wallpaper I would say these are it.

To be honest with you though space is tight on my van so I leave them at home. They ended up at the bottom of my toolbox and I didnt want them getting destroyed. They are well built for what they are but obviously cant handle steel tools riding on top of them.

They have a switch in them so they only turn on when you squeeze them together. Like I said they heat up quick so I debated wiring up a rheostat and an outlet in a box to adjust the temp. But I don't use them so I didn't. I don't remember what I paid but for the good deal I got it fed my tool addiction without too much sting. They probably won't be useful to you so I really can't reccomend them.


.
Tango likes this.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tango (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #23
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,860

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Just like my watergate/jetswet, I thought I'd use it a lot but only used it once. Most times it just won't fit with spaghetti piping. I'll have to give into SB at some point.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-16-2019, 09:32 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,612

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Just like my watergate/jetswet, I thought I'd use it a lot but only used it once. Most times it just won't fit with spaghetti piping. I'll have to give into SB at some point.

SB is horse chit. When I have a drip that just won't stop I use penicillin. When a valve won't shut off all the way I have a couple tricks.


First, I heat like 4" before my actual joint with the torch pointed to the joint. This causes the water to steam and the joint to be hot enough that you'll get a vapor barrier and usually works.


For worse drips I might use two torches, one normal and one 6" back. It isn't always easy and having a helper helps a lot.


A third trick which usually works involves using a fitting that is small enough to heat up even with the water and then allows you to mechanically connect. Ideally you use a coupling half. Next would be a male adapter.



My last trick is a female tee if it's a horizontal line. Put it on with the hole facing down. Heat up the pipe a couple inches back with the torch pointed at the joint. I have done that a couple times with good success. The hole lets you solder on the other side like normal after that first bad joint and then obviously you just plug the hole when you're done. Use a boiler drain if you want it to look on purpose


One of our guys had to go fix a 3" copper main with some slip couplings a couple weeks ago. He was saying how the old gate valve didn't hold all the way and it was a pita. I asked him if he did the bread trick! lolz Yeah I said, just call back for two loaves of bread!


I shiz you not, one of my bosses was talking to one of our guys about a job he would have to go do and how the valve didn't hold. He legit told him to use the bread trick. That boss has probably soldered fewer joints than my 8yr old. I am sure it some times works but it just seems way too hokey, I could never do that.






.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #25
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,860

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

One of our guys had to go fix a 3" copper main with some slip couplings a couple weeks ago. He was saying how the old gate valve didn't hold all the way and it was a pita. I asked him if he did the bread trick! lolz Yeah I said, just call back for two loaves of bread!


I shiz you not, one of my bosses was talking to one of our guys about a job he would have to go do and how the valve didn't hold. He legit told him to use the bread trick. That boss has probably soldered fewer joints than my 8yr old. I am sure it some times works but it just seems way too hokey, I could never do that.



.
I used bread many many times, I've said it here before, in a supermarket extension I used a whole white baguette every night in my scissor lift working on a copper 2" line. It was the only way. Company didn't supply any tools. The security guard would look at me crazy when I asked if I could take the discounted bread.
skoronesa likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (08-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:48 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,612

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I used bread many many times, I've said it here before, in a supermarket extension I used a whole white baguette every night in my scissor lift working on a copper 2" line. It was the only way. Company didn't supply any tools. The security guard would look at me crazy when I asked if I could take the discounted bread.



A "baguette". Soooo stereotypical




.
Attached Thumbnails
Electric Soldering Machines for Sale-51c8066cc3f94.jpeg  

Tango likes this.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 PM   #27
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,860

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

haha I get it. When I was a teen our soccer team went to France for soccer training. We visited a town once and it was really hot and humid there and a woman who walked by with a baguette under her arm. Ok that was out of the ordinary for me. Then this man strolled by with another baguette under his arm pit although this time he was sweaty and the baguette was wet and soggy in the middle and had limped like a banana! It burned an image in my brain forever, like what is he going to eat that for real??

I now have PTSD.
skoronesa likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:35 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,184

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
haha I get it. When I was a teen our soccer team went to France for soccer training. We visited a town once and it was really hot and humid there and a woman who walked by with a baguette under her arm. Ok that was out of the ordinary for me. Then this man strolled by with another baguette under his arm pit although this time he was sweaty and the baguette was wet and soggy in the middle and had limped like a banana! It burned an image in my brain forever, like what is he going to eat that for real??

I now have PTSD.
PTSD.. POST TRAUMATIC SWEAT DISORDER...:vs_laugh :
skoronesa and Tango like this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:25 PM   #29
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 65

View alson's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alson View Post
Electric Soldering Machines for Sale

Retired, and selling off tools .


One is the Rigid RT 100. The other is the RT 175.

The # 100 solders up to 1 1/2" copper. $280.00
The # 175 solders up to 3" copper $ 400.00

We used them for re-pipes in an apartment complex to avoid using a flame in the partially opened walls.

Shipping extra.

Also have ratchet (Rigid) and scissor (Reed) type soil pipe cutters for sale


PM if interested or looking for other items, also see two postings below.


Attachment 110044

Attachment 110046





Not that I want to hijack my hijacked thread, but I have quoted the original thread which is about selling the Rigid soldering tools. I corrected the pricing which I had misquoted from my spreadsheet.


As far as Canada is concerned, I would not ship to Canada simply because of the complications already stated. We forget that Canada is a foreign country with its own laws. I live in Michigan about 25 miles from the border and a lot has changed since 9/11 as far as entering Canada and returning to the US. Say the wrong thing or try to be humorous and you could be in for a bad time. Although in some cases you could receive a free rectal exam.
Now, to hijack my own thread, I also have for sale Jet Swets up to 3" (including 2 1/2")Forget the bread, when you need a JetSwet, you need a JetSwet.
alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:47 PM   #30
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,860

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alson View Post
Not that I want to hijack my hijacked thread, but I have quoted the original thread which is about selling the Rigid soldering tools. I corrected the pricing which I had misquoted from my spreadsheet.


As far as Canada is concerned, I would not ship to Canada simply because of the complications already stated. We forget that Canada is a foreign country with its own laws. I live in Michigan about 25 miles from the border and a lot has changed since 9/11 as far as entering Canada and returning to the US. Say the wrong thing or try to be humorous and you could be in for a bad time. Although in some cases you could receive a free rectal exam.
Now, to hijack my own thread, I also have for sale Jet Swets up to 3" (including 2 1/2")Forget the bread, when you need a JetSwet, you need a JetSwet.
I want to make it clear for Americans who don't want to ship to Canada and explain the process. Stop fearing some boogeyman that doesn't exist. It is not evil and don't get wound up from what I wrote, you won't go to jail unless you send drugs or undeclared guns. I import and export a lot of things. Hundreds and probably over a thousand parcels through the years. I import from the US, drain machines, tools, shoes, CD's books, car parts etc. I imported my toilet I crap in every day from California! I import candy from Germany and also the ropump, I import toiled parts and tools from Great Britain, I import music cassettes from Russia, I imported my chinese camera from China and got it within 4 days.


I sold many stereos that went across the border to Florida, Arizona, and many other places. I sold my onboard truck welder to a guy in Hawaii, I sold used offroad truck parts including a heavy drive shaft to more people in the US. I exported, CD's, records, music memorabilia to the US, Germany, Australia and the list goes on.


It's the same thing as sending a letter across the street. The only difference when I ship something south of the border is an extra sticker on the parcel asking what's inside and value. Seems very simple to me, you sell a T-shirt, you write T-shirt on the sticker and pay the shipping fee. See that was easy!


For the Americans it's the same thing. You pay the shipping, write on the label what's inside and declare the value and you're done. If you want to sell something 5$ it isn't illegal, you are allowed to sell the item at the price you want. I also did many trades, I traded many things with a fellow German collector and several others in the states. No duties or taxes involved. Package, sticker with value and pay shipping done!


The package is delivered into my mailbox if it's under a certain amount. If not I get the package at the postal office or carrier center and pay the duty fees to Canada Post, UPS, Fedex, DHL. Done deal. See how easy it is!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
electric eel d-5 vs rigid k750 sethro1981 Drain and Sewer Cleaning 4 10-29-2018 07:56 PM
Electric Tankless heaters....... Master Mark General Plumbing Discussion 17 01-06-2018 11:41 AM
Elecric Soldering Machines for Sale alson Plumbers Swap 1 04-29-2016 11:46 AM
Commercial electric hot water heater mtfallsmikey Commercial Plumbing 2 02-18-2016 08:02 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com