Your experience or thoughts on the General Wire JM-1000 mini jetter - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree17Likes

Old 10-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #1
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default Your experience or thoughts on the General Wire JM-1000 mini jetter

Since not a lot of info is circulating I revive the topic again. I'm about to pull the trigger on one, the purpose for me would be to upsell and clean kitchen lines from grease once I've unclogged it. The issue is that will it go through several 1 1/2" vent 90s it's a real plague here, even legit plumbers illegally install these everywhere.

Does it really clean or stripes the grease????

Second will it cut though ice? That's my second reason why I would buy it for frozen kitchen drains. With record cold last year I missed out on 20+ calls or so. I did make myself a contraption to clear ice and was only able to test it out a little. The jetter would look more professional too.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

It's really hard to get stuff from the states when these are not common like mini jetter for example. Most sellers will not ship to Canada so I'm very limited. I clear all my kitchen lines with the 3800 with 5/16" cable however this week I couldn't get it clear enough to stop gurgling at the floor drain below. After 2 hours I found a clean out and was able to use my 3/8 cable with a spade with 2 passes very slow. Maybe the jetter would of been a good solution if I wouldn't of found a C/O?

I can get a good deal on a new JM-1000-B (50' hoses) 1150$CAD taxes included. The other issue I would always to have to bring it inside during the winter(freeze and break), and bring it onboard if I get a kitchen call.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

All good questions. I’ve been on the fence about one for sometime. I believe it will be strong enough to remove grease and soft sludge, but seriously doubt that it will remove the rock hard buildup.

I’ve looked over the display at my supply house. Without breaking it down and looking at the pump and motor, it looks like decent quality. I don’t really see anyway of winterizing it, but my best guess to try is to figure out a way to blow it out with an air compressor.

My supply house cost is about the same give or take. Not really sure on USD/CD rate at the moment. I can buy one for about $1k.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

I'm chatting with a guy on the ridgid forum and he's suggesting another more powerful brand. Looks very promising and one model can be used with hot water! I would buy the arblue pressure washer and buy a general hose and spring lead and mate the 2.

I'm waiting for the manufacturer to reply to me to see if I can buy one in Canada. I've also seen somewhere to winterize is to fill RV antifreeze in a bucket and run it until it's full.

For my gas pressure washer I buy a special can to winterize it. Maybe buy a few cans while serving customers, it would be an easy way to keep it in the van.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratt.../dp/B0012VY200

Arblue
AR630 : https://arblueclean.com/product/ar-b...essure-washer/
Old 10-27-2018, 10:37 PM   #5

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

A jetter is a tool. This is a specialty tool. The more tools and speciality tools you have the more jobs you can do. A cart jetter would be sweet for restaurants.
Gargalaxy likes this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:33 AM   #6

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

My area has old cast iron and Iíve heard on this forum you can do more harm than good jetting it.
I went to one the other day where my customers girlfriend couldnít wait for me and had another plumber out and try and clear a kitchen line. He ran 75 feet with a spring on the front and couldnít clear it, actually made it worse with black muck coming out the shower. He recommended coming back and using a jetter.
I went there and cleared it at about 20 feet with the Redwood bend on the end of my cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Your experience or thoughts on the General Wire JM-1000 mini jetter-5b48b014-d5b3-4646-a5ca-4ee516b0f4b0.jpg  

Your experience or thoughts on the General Wire JM-1000 mini jetter-9b05aba8-6a0c-42ff-bb04-82fb1b496dfa.jpeg  

Gargalaxy and Tango like this.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #7
Moderator Wizard

I read that too it sometimes clears too much crud it clogs the 4" main. I agree a jetter is not the proper tool to unclog a line, a cable first to open it then if the line needs it pressure clean.

I've been able to clear all my kitchen lines up to date other than the ones my cable couldn't navigate because of hacked plumbing. On 2 occasions the grease would just close up around the cable and took almost 2 hours of back and forth to get it open.

The question is once open to upsell to pressure clean it because I fear to be called back a week later it's clogged again and obliged to unclog their greasy line for FREE every month after that. Maybe to put in writing no grantees for drain unclogging.

Then winter freeze up is 2 months away. I built myself a thawing device but only was able to test it once or twice outside. It worked a little bit but not sure if it'll work in real life situations so I just don't want to try kitchen lines for free like last year. I did 3 of them for free and spent 2-3 hours on each wasting my time, materials and dragging all the gear in freezing snow and worst of all 2 of them they literally had put a whole bottle of SULFURIC ACID and i'st a serious hazard.

So no more free services if I can help it.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Moderator Wizard

Maybe general built their jetter weak to prevent too much cleaning power and creating problems further down the line like Debo's picture? Or they made it weaker so it wouldn't trip breakers?
Old 10-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #9

View Toli's Photo Album My Photos

My opinion- save your money on that toy and wait until you can buy or build your a real machine. 4-5 gpm @ 3500-4000 psi is a good place to start, IMO.
breplum and Tango like this.
Toli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #10

View fixitright's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toli View Post
My opinion- save your money on that toy and wait until you can buy or build your a real machine. 4-5 gpm @ 3500-4000 psi is a good place to start, IMO.
Lots of places you can't use a gas powered Jetter. The little General may be handy. The Mytana models are to big and heavy.

There have been a few jobs I would/could have used a small jetter but they were few and far in between.
fixitright is offline   Reply With Quote