Tough time getting the jetter hose out. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree52Likes

Old 04-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #1

View V.A Hydro-ooter's Photo Album My Photos

I had a tough one today. Went to hydro jet a main sewer line that is 115 feet long. It is cast iron underground but I accessed it from a PVC cleanout. Everything was going well until it came time to pull the hose out.

I pulled as hard as I could and even got help from the plumber who referred me. I tried running the pulse valve, put dish soap down the line, tried pulling it out with the jetter off. It would not budge at all.

I'd run the camera before jetting so I knew it wasn't broken. There was one spot I couldn't see, about 15 feet in, but I'd gone 100 feet past it so I knew it hadn't dug into the dirt.

I ran the camera and found out the spot I couldn't see at first was a wye followed immediately by another wye. When I pulled on the hose it was getting stuck on that 180 degree bend. Yes, both wyes had 1/8 bends added so it was 180.

I was finally able to get the hose out by disconnecting my hose from the reel and putting one of those corrugated sump pump discharge hoses over it as a sleeve. I was able to push it past the wyes. That was able to reduce friction enough to allow the hose to move. Even then I had to put the hose over my shoulders and squat up to pull out a foot or two at a time.
Figured this might help someone in the future.
dhal22, sparky, OpenSights and 5 others like this.
V.A Hydro-ooter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to V.A Hydro-ooter For This Useful Post:
plumberinlaw (05-03-2020), sparky (04-28-2020), Tango (04-28-2020), Tommy plumber (04-28-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Good idea on how to get it out! You’re going to be sore tomorrow!
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Good idea on how to get it out! You’re going to be sore tomorrow!
I'm sore now, haha. I've already got bruising on my shoulders from when I tried pulling before I ran the sleeve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #4

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

So the jetter hose turned back and was going back in a similar direction that you had sent it....that sucks.

Glad you got it out. That's an un-easy feeling when the cable or hose won't come back.
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
So the jetter hose turned back and was going back in a similar direction that you had sent it....that sucks.

Glad you got it out. That's an un-easy feeling when the cable or hose won't come back.
The jetter hose didn't turn back. It went out to the tap as I wanted. It just wouldn't come back because there was too much friction with the tight 180 degree bend in the cast iron.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V.A Hydro-ooter For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (04-28-2020), Tommy plumber (04-29-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #6
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

I don't carry corrugated pipe so if it came to that I'd have to cut the 1/4" jetting tube at the machine and use 1/2" or 3/4" pex. It would ruin the crimped end though.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I don't carry corrugated pipe so if it came to that I'd have to cut the 1/4" jetting tube at the machine and use 1/2" or 3/4" pex. It would ruin the crimped end though.
I didn't have to cut the corrugated pipe. That's why I disconnected my hose from the reel, so I could slide the pipe over the hose without having to cut anything. I figured it would be easier to push into the line that way. The corrugated being slit would probably have been too flexible to go very far, plus I did not want the jetter hose to be able to slide out of the corrugated pipe.

I doubt you'd be able to get pex very far into a branch line with all those vent 90's you deal with.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #8

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

He was using a large jetter for a 4" line, probably 3/4" to 1" hose.

If our mini-jetter hose gets stuck I think it's safe to say you just yank

MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #9

View Toli's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.A Hydro-ooter View Post
I had a tough one today. Went to hydro jet a main sewer line that is 115 feet long. It is cast iron underground but I accessed it from a PVC cleanout. Everything was going well until it came time to pull the hose out.

I pulled as hard as I could and even got help from the plumber who referred me. I tried running the pulse valve, put dish soap down the line, tried pulling it out with the jetter off. It would not budge at all.

I'd run the camera before jetting so I knew it wasn't broken. There was one spot I couldn't see, about 15 feet in, but I'd gone 100 feet past it so I knew it hadn't dug into the dirt.

I ran the camera and found out the spot I couldn't see at first was a wye followed immediately by another wye. When I pulled on the hose it was getting stuck on that 180 degree bend. Yes, both wyes had 1/8 bends added so it was 180.

I was finally able to get the hose out by disconnecting my hose from the reel and putting one of those corrugated sump pump discharge hoses over it as a sleeve. I was able to push it past the wyes. That was able to reduce friction enough to allow the hose to move. Even then I had to put the hose over my shoulders and squat up to pull out a foot or two at a time.
Figured this might help someone in the future.

No guts no glory, right?

Iíve wrapped 1/2 hose around the bucket on a mini to pull it out.
dhal22, skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Toli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #10
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.A Hydro-ooter View Post
I didn't have to cut the corrugated pipe. That's why I disconnected my hose from the reel, so I could slide the pipe over the hose without having to cut anything. I figured it would be easier to push into the line that way. The corrugated being slit would probably have been too flexible to go very far, plus I did not want the jetter hose to be able to slide out of the corrugated pipe.

I doubt you'd be able to get pex very far into a branch line with all those vent 90's you deal with.
Skoro nailed it we don't have the same outfit, I only have the mini general 1000
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote