Strange stoppage - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tango
  • 2 Post By ShtRnsdownhill

Old 08-29-2019, 12:39 AM   #1

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos
Default Strange stoppage

I posted these pictures in the winners thread because of the fíd of piping but I was there for a stoppage. Both of the commercial sinks had standing water but the original construction kitchen sink on the right didnít have water in it. I thought ok, this will be easy. I ran water in the right sink and sure enough I see water boiling in the left sinks so I know the stoppage is further down the line. I dropped the trap and ran the cable through the p-trap santee and about 20 feet out I hit a dead stop, Iím not catching or binding on anything it just wonít go any further. Iím thinking Iím in the dirt with a hole in rotted cast iron. I tried everything as far as moving my machine, backing out my cable and shooting it in reverse to try and get a different trajectory through the line. I couldnít get through with the Spartan 100 so I tried my Supervee to at least punch a hole. Same thing, couldnít get through. I gave it one more shot with the 100 and nothing.

I spent way too much time there but I donít give up easily. I told him Iíll come back with my camera, I wonít be able to see anything since the line is holding water but I can locate it and Iíll know where to jackhammer. As Iím putting the trap back together in defeat I hear the left side sinks drain. All of a sudden everything is clear. I ran a bunch of water and everything is going down.

The only thing I can think of is I cleared the original blockage and all that sludge that I broke up became a soft stoppage further down the line and finally gave way.

I told him we still need to camera line and figure out why the cable wouldnít go past 20 feet. Itís a commercial building so they probably donít care as long as itís draining. Tenant already had a plumber out that couldnít clear it so I was second guy in.

What are your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Strange stoppage-a31d316a-9ec8-4679-a477-c5a2e9b27d11.jpg  

Strange stoppage-cbdf1b56-445d-496e-8f26-500fc60ca7dc.jpg  

Strange stoppage-13431034-0ce6-4050-bed0-e7fb8c0287ee.jpg  

Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

You have a camera for 1 1/2" pipe???

Here's a theory, your snake was stopped by a hard object and you chewed the soft stuff around it thus it started to drain again. If so it will clog up again.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

if its not a steady customer its draining and thats all they care about, no guarantee on commercial drains and that you couldnt camera it, wait till it clogs again for another chargeable cleaning...
Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Advertisement

Old Today, 12:08 AM   #4

View Standard Drain's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with the rest; when it happens again do the full service where you cam/locate. It sounds like as long as its draining they will take your estimate to camera and throw it out.