Sand in drain line, advice? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Old 02-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

View JimmyMac's Photo Album My Photos
Default Sand in drain line, advice?

We have 2 different locations that we have issues with sand in a main line, both are supermarket/large big box stores. Both are 4" lines which are about 1/2 or more full of sand over 200' length and ballpark 400'plus to exterior of building. Neither have 2 way clean outs outside...no need for those(sarcasm)...

We are going to try and forward jet the line out to the street, or at least as far as possible, then camera line to see how it looks.

You guys have any other thoughts/ideas?

Rooter just stirs it up and sand falls back to bottom of pipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PZ-line-DEBRIS-1-29-16.jpg (3.50 MB, 286 views)
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

A bit of advice... before you blow all that sand out to the city, give them a call. They will want to be there with their own jetter or vac.

I learned that with a bad grease line before.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #3
Ridgid tool user

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos

Good luck but don't expect great results. You need to pull all the sand in one direction. Pushing doesn't always work so well. Be careful.....sand is easy to get stuck in if you go to fast as the sand will settle behind your hose.
cable or root (02-10-2016), celtic1 (03-02-2016), ChrisConnor (02-10-2016), Roto-Rooter (02-11-2016), saysflushable (02-11-2016), Shoot'N'Plumber (02-10-2016), skoronesa (02-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2016, 01:08 PM   #4

Agreed, will for one, the other runs to a lift station on the property(site owned) and will just go to the bottom of the pit where it can't hurt anything.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #5

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

can you get a vac truck and vacuum them out?
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear junkie View Post
Good luck but don't expect great results. You need to pull all the sand in one direction. Pushing doesn't always work so well. Be careful.....sand is easy to get stuck in if you go to fast as the sand will settle behind your hose.
Good point, go slow...will do, don't want to make a bad situation worse...
Old 02-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
can you get a vac truck and vacuum them out?
Not logistically possible, too many things on line to cap off to create enough suction to pull sand out...
Old 02-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #8

View cable or root's Photo Album My Photos

Good luck, but they're probably screwed. With that much sand there's probably a lot of bad breaks. Don't get stuck. They may try to pass the blame off on you. Bottom line is they need serious repairs. If part of the line broke that bad there's likely going to be more breaks in the near future. My advice is to either cut your losses, or convince them to replace everything.
cable or root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cable or root For This Useful Post:
celtic1 (03-02-2016), MACK ATTAKK (02-11-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 02:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cable or root View Post
Good luck, but they're probably screwed. With that much sand there's probably a lot of bad breaks. Don't get stuck. They may try to pass the blame off on you. Bottom line is they need serious repairs. If part of the line broke that bad there's likely going to be more breaks in the near future. My advice is to either cut your losses, or convince them to replace everything.
Its not from a broken line, its from the floor scrubbers dumped into a mopsink, which is at the end of the line with little to no flow to help push the debris out...

Old man used to say "assume responsibility or blame someone else", already blamed someone else and made that very clear....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimmyMac For This Useful Post:
dhal22 (02-11-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #10

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Its not from a broken line, its from the floor scrubbers dumped into a mopsink, which is at the end of the line with little to no flow to help push the debris out...

Old man used to say "assume responsibility or blame someone else", already blamed someone else and made that very clear....
sell them a separator to catch the sand..after they get the bill for cleaning the mains, they should be happy to pay it..
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShtRnsdownhill For This Useful Post: