New secondary camera - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree14Likes

Old 09-26-2017, 11:17 AM   #1

View Standard Drain's Photo Album My Photos
Default New secondary camera

Currently I have the Insight Vision Vutek for my main and branch lines.

http://www.insightvisioncameras.com/.../vutek-camera/

The thing is awesome. But lately I have had alot of jobs that involve inspection small diameter pipes under 2 inch which the mainline snake obviously cant get in. Ive been called upon several times to inspect and map out floor drains or basin sink drains with P-traps. Does anyone use the Ridgid NanoReel or the Ridgid MicroDrain?

The NanoReel seems like it can get into some tight places, but im worried that it will fail in a 1.5 inch pipe. Also, vise-versa Im worried the microdrain wont be able to get in as many tight places.

If anyone has any advice i would love to hear back.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2018, 11:31 PM   #2
LICENSE PLUMBER

View 130 PLUMBER's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard Drain View Post

The thing is awesome. But lately I have had alot of jobs that involve inspection small diameter pipes under 2 inch which the mainline snake obviously cant get in. Ive been called upon several times to inspect and map out floor drains or basin sink drains with P-traps. Does anyone use the Ridgid NanoReel or the Ridgid MicroDrain?

The NanoReel seems like it can get into some tight places, but im worried that it will fail in a 1.5 inch pipe. Also, vise-versa Im worried the microdrain wont be able to get in as many tight places.

I have the Vu Rite camera but not really happy with their services. I've had mine for over 5 years with issues in the last 12 months
130 PLUMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:34 PM   #3
LICENSE PLUMBER

View 130 PLUMBER's Photo Album My Photos

if you don't mind me asking, are you happy with the Insight Vision camera?
130 PLUMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Ridgid tool user

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos

I have the microdrain and microreel. The drain is fine in 2" but the image washes out in pipe 3" and up. If you're dealing in cast, I'd recommend the drain. If in PVC I'd recommend the reel. Don't use the CA350 monitor but instead go with the CS6X

If you need to just map out the location, then use a sonde carrier and that can get through a Ptrap.
OpenSights and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #5

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

Ridgid Ridgid Ridgid Ridgid Ridgid Ridgid Ridgid Ridgid.
fixitright likes this.

Last edited by Tango; 05-20-2019 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Deleted the spam links
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #6
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Any update, what did you purchase? I'm looking into it for 1 1/2" pipes. Same thing Ridgid NanoReel or the Ridgid MicroDrain
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #7

I went ahead and got the Rigid Microdrain. I use it as the quick grab on lines 1 1/4-3 inch.

Since I just do drain cleaning; I end up using it everyday as an up-sell. Being able to see inside the line is the only way to know what your up against. It easily can go through toilet bends and p-traps.

Honestly I get this thing in some tight lines.. If its a tight drain; i just take the ball guide off and run it with no head protection. Its held up this whole time

If it broke tomorrow; I would probably have a new one shipped next day.
Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:59 AM   #8
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I went ahead and got the Rigid Microdrain. I use it as the quick grab on lines 1 1/4-3 inch.

Since I just do drain cleaning; I end up using it everyday as an up-sell. Being able to see inside the line is the only way to know what your up against. It easily can go through toilet bends and p-traps.

Honestly I get this thing in some tight lines.. If its a tight drain; i just take the ball guide off and run it with no head protection. Its held up this whole time

If it broke tomorrow; I would probably have a new one shipped next day.

In your area are lavs and kitchen sink lines 1 1/2" ABS pipes? Do they have a lot 90s? How many bends before it can't go any further?

I wish I had a lot demand for it, some people ask me for a video for their kitchen lines but I don't know if they'll go for it if I charge an extra 100$ to 175$ to use it plus my time to use it.

Last edited by Tango; 05-21-2019 at 08:48 AM..
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #9

We have a lot of old galvanized or CI lines once your past the p-trap of the sink. Typically once im at the san-t the line will go down to the ground and you would have to deal with one 90; getting anything around galvanized 90's is going to be hit or miss. If your able to clean the line first you should be able to navigate a turn or 2 of those.

Just yesterday I had the camera in an 1 1/2 pvc sink line with 2 san-t's, 1-90 and 2- 45's. Had no problem navigating.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #10

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

Seems like it might be useful for finding buried stack c.o's or checking out laundry or kitchen stack lower ends with small c.os.. or sometimes a back to back y in certain circumstances could be useful for sure...

I know in my video I said different but now that I think of there could definitely be some useful purposes..

I've gotten lucky and usually get home owner to listen for the cable when I have no idea where its going and it ain't clearing but sometimes that's not plausible to do so I could definitely see it coming handy for locating especially... long horizontal runs in saggy sloppy abs
Tango likes this.
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote