New customer, drain’s still not open - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree18Likes

Old 09-24-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default New customer, drain’s still not open

Picked up a new customer last week. They manage the maintenance for HOs, Ada bath remods, a bunch of other stuff too.

I met the owner at his clients home Thursday for a lav drain. No big deal right. Tried cabling it, pulled back roots. Cast iron underground, but in the mechanical room next to the bathroom you can see a floor repair. The previous owner did a bunch of remodeling and the lav drain is pvc going into the floor. (Had to bring it up to code, it was an S trap.) After doing some more testing I believe the main was partially plugged, however not backing up yet.

We had a good amount of rain and the phone kept going off ringing with sump pump and flooded main lines including the company’s own house, which went well.

Got back today, met the HO and got more history about his house. Cabled the main, roots. Went for a second attempt at the lav. Pulled out more roots but still couldn’t get it to drain. Tried plunging, didn’t work. I hate doing this, but I shopvacked out as much water as I could and poured clobber into the clean out. Turned the stops off and going back next Monday.

I don’t have a whole lot of faith, once I get my clogchopper to the bad spot, about 3’ away, it’ll spin, not bind, but I had to give it a heck of a yank to get it out.

Just another oddball drain... just wish it wasn’t the first job for a new customer.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Forgot the pic....
Attached Thumbnails
-c8f4b997-bdb6-4649-985a-b461b671224e.jpg  

Old 09-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #3

View fixitright's Photo Album My Photos

Clobber??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PathMaker likes this.
fixitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I know. Last ditch effort. If this does or doesn’t work the HO knows his floor needs to be busted up. I don’t think there’s a stack behind the stool to wash. Hoping to just get it open until we can schedule the bust up.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitright View Post
Clobber??????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????REALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From the guy who always says he has 100 pounds of lye. Hmmmm?
fixitright and sparky like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:17 PM   #6
Moderator Wizard

Hack plumbing and roots....Not good.

Make sure to wear a rain suit, face shield and rubber boots. Remember the thai post with the burned guy with acid?
sparky and OpenSights like this.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
Super Moderator

It does drain, or I guess you could say seep, but, yeah, full on PPE!

I’ve used it once before and that time it was a whole bottle. This time I could only get a quarter in the line.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #8

View Standard Drain's Photo Album My Photos

Candidate for some Root X?
dhal22, sparky and OpenSights like this.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard Drain View Post
Candidate for some Root X?
I thought about that too. We didn’t have any on the truck, and the bottle of clobber claims it works on organic material.

We’ll find out come Monday.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Moderator Wizard

Just a few thoughts. If there ain't any water or not very much then the acid won't dilute so much to be ineffective. I wonder how long for the roots to break off.