Looking to get into using flex shaft? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning


Like Tree21Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 06:55 PM   #1
Ridgid tool user
 
gear junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Land of the UPC
Posts: 4,766

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos
Default Looking to get into using flex shaft?

BC73RS, Tango, MASTRPLUMB and 1 others like this.
__________________
Buy cheap, buy twice.
gear junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gear junkie For This Useful Post:
gosaka (09-08-2019), rooterboy (09-08-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-06-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
The Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NW Minnesota
Posts: 901

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Great info. I don't have a flex shaft and might never get one as I'm the typical punch a hole through and try your best to blindly clean out as much as you can. It is though still interesting to see and learn more about such things.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:50 PM   #3
Ridgid tool user
 
gear junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Land of the UPC
Posts: 4,766

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I can talk about this here before other places but I'll be offering a class on how to clean drains by using new techniques. Just as an example, my k50, k60, clog dog are off the van and I'm now using my own custom designed equipment....cables and flex shaft, jetter, camera etc. Instead of selling the equipment, I'll just offer the class and you can make your own and if you still want to buy a commercially produced product, then at least you know what features are important.
Plumbus, MASTRPLUMB and gosaka like this.
__________________
Buy cheap, buy twice.
gear junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gear junkie For This Useful Post:
rooterboy (09-08-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-06-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
The Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NW Minnesota
Posts: 901

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear junkie View Post
I can talk about this here before other places but I'll be offering a class on how to clean drains by using new techniques. Just as an example, my k50, k60, clog dog are off the van and I'm now using my own custom designed equipment....cables and flex shaft, jetter, camera etc. Instead of selling the equipment, I'll just offer the class and you can make your own and if you still want to buy a commercially produced product, then at least you know what features are important.
Around here no one cares about drain cleaning they just want it unclogged and don't want to pay extra just to see a video of their sewer. The closest we come to a specialised drain cleaning company is RR that does both drain cleaning and emptying septic tanks plus service plumbing. They only come close to a drain specialist because they have a jetter but they are not really experts at it.

We have a ****ty montana camera at the shop that we really only use maybe 2 times a year.

I would love something like a flex shaft for the lighter weight and cleanliness but I don't think it would be able to do what a drum machine can when it comes to simple uncloging a line and to fully use it to get that good cleaning you would also need an expensive camera so I'm thinking it has its uses for certain things but it's really not fully getting used unless it

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:24 AM   #5
Ridgid tool user
 
gear junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Land of the UPC
Posts: 4,766

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
Around here no one cares about drain cleaning they just want it unclogged and don't want to pay extra just to see a video of their sewer. The closest we come to a specialised drain cleaning company is RR that does both drain cleaning and emptying septic tanks plus service plumbing. They only come close to a drain specialist because they have a jetter but they are not really experts at it.

We have a ****ty montana camera at the shop that we really only use maybe 2 times a year.

I would love something like a flex shaft for the lighter weight and cleanliness but I don't think it would be able to do what a drum machine can when it comes to simple uncloging a line and to fully use it to get that good cleaning you would also need an expensive camera so I'm thinking it has its uses for certain things but it's really not fully getting used unless it

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Just curious....how long does your average mainline drain cleaning job take? From the time you're taking tools off the van to the time you're putting tools back in the van?
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
__________________
Buy cheap, buy twice.
gear junkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #6
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,558

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
Around here no one cares about drain cleaning they just want it unclogged and don't want to pay extra just to see a video of their sewer. The closest we come to a specialised drain cleaning company is RR that does both drain cleaning and emptying septic tanks plus service plumbing. They only come close to a drain specialist because they have a jetter but they are not really experts at it.

We have a ****ty montana camera at the shop that we really only use maybe 2 times a year.

I would love something like a flex shaft for the lighter weight and cleanliness but I don't think it would be able to do what a drum machine can when it comes to simple uncloging a line and to fully use it to get that good cleaning you would also need an expensive camera so I'm thinking it has its uses for certain things but it's really not fully getting used unless it

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

It's the same exact same thing here. People WILL ABSOLUTELY NOT PAY FOR A CAMERA. Oh they ask for it, I get a few calls for a camera inspection and they think it will be free because all they see is free estimates from other plumbers!!.Those who are a tad smarter If not free then they have a pre conception it's going to be 20$ or something. They will not pay for a jetter afterwards either! I almost regret the camera purchase and locator equipment. I repeat myself a lot but 95% of people shop prices to have their only toilet to be unclogged!

They wait for weeks and wash their disches in the bathroom hoping the kitchen drain will flush magically then they spend a week buying dollar store drain opener and dollar plunger.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,558

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

When I went to the ridgid road show I spent 2 hours at the booth and not a single person checked out the cameras, locators or flex shaft other than me. I think that tells us something about the subject.

One rep was upset when I told him a ridgid camera didn't make any sense here and I had purchased a chinese cam.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,436

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear junkie View Post
Just curious....how long does your average mainline drain cleaning job take? From the time you're taking tools off the van to the time you're putting tools back in the van?



For me it takes 2-4hrs. If I can just wheel the snake in and open a c.o. then usually around 2 hrs including travel time. Travel time averages a half hour here. But if I have to drain the system and bucket out sewage or pull a toilet then it takes closer to 4hrs billed.



Just filling out the paperwork and explaining stuff to the customer takes about a half hour usually. If it's a brass plug in cast iron that's a half hour right there. Fixing a bad toilet flange, half hour. Puling the toilet cleanly, half hour. Getting the toilet re-set, leveled, and caulked is usually like 15 but if the floor is bad.....


It's hard to believe, even when you have done it for a long time, just how much time everything takes. I don't fault customers for not understanding just how long it takes.


Darn near everyone I meet at the door disappears by the time I start putting drop cloths down in the bathroom. And right when I am done draining and pulling the toilet, and am about to run the snake they come in and ask what I have found. I tell them I am just now about to run the snake in, they say oh, you haven't put it in yet? I confirm, and they just get this look on their face that is somewhere between confusion and thinking I am a slow lazy fock.

The only ones who really understand are other plumbers. Even maintenance guys who have been through this before don't remember what it takes.










.
Plumbus and Tango like this.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,436

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I love my ridgid camera and pipe finder. They have done a ton of good for me. That said 3k$ and 6k$ are ridiculous prices. I have to assume they wanted to make sure that their customers would take care of them so they wouldn't have a ton of warranty issues and if they did at least they would have the extra cash to fix them for free.


Ridgid stuff does have that guarantee and even the few items that technically don't we still expect ridgid to jump through hoops to fix. They make up for that cost later by charging a lot now.


We charge 250$ just for use of the camera. Not all customers are ok with that so they don't get the camera service. There are occasions I don't charge for it, almost always it's a lifelong customer who has given us all their business or a repeat customer I snake once or twice a year.








.
Tango likes this.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #10
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,558

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
For me it takes 2-4hrs. If I can just wheel the snake in and open a c.o. then usually around 2 hrs including travel time. Travel time averages a half hour here. But if I have to drain the system and bucket out sewage or pull a toilet then it takes closer to 4hrs billed.



Just filling out the paperwork and explaining stuff to the customer takes about a half hour usually. If it's a brass plug in cast iron that's a half hour right there. Fixing a bad toilet flange, half hour. Puling the toilet cleanly, half hour. Getting the toilet re-set, leveled, and caulked is usually like 15 but if the floor is bad.....


It's hard to believe, even when you have done it for a long time, just how much time everything takes. I don't fault customers for not understanding just how long it takes.


Darn near everyone I meet at the door disappears by the time I start putting drop cloths down in the bathroom. And right when I am done draining and pulling the toilet, and am about to run the snake they come in and ask what I have found. I tell them I am just now about to run the snake in, they say oh, you haven't put it in yet? I confirm, and they just get this look on their face that is somewhere between confusion and thinking I am a slow lazy fock.

The only ones who really understand are other plumbers. Even maintenance guys who have been through this before don't remember what it takes.










.
hahaha YES!!!!
skoronesa likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com