K60.....what I've learned over the years - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Old 01-21-2016, 11:50 PM   #1
Ridgid tool user

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos
Default K60.....what I've learned over the years

As with anything, there are things we change as we've gotten more experienced. Here's a few things I've learned about the K60. Feel free to add or comment.

For long trips between the van and jobsite, I use a foldable cart. This one I bought from Northern Tool and can also double as a regular hand cart to move water heaters. I bolted a piece of aluminum plate to the back. BTW...that's what 8 year old cable looks like.

The reverse auger gets alot a lot of great press since Rick introduced it to many of us. However I've been having really great luck with my general auger R-RTR-10. The cable thickness is extremely thick. I cut some of the tip off so it can fit in 3" pipe. I used it to pull out this giant root out of an area drain. I like it because I'll feed the cable in reverse(selector switch) and go to forward when I hit the blockage.

Feeding in reverse seems to go easier and if the auger gets into some big roots, it'll pull itself easier when going in forward. I've been in root masses so big the reverse auger wouldn't screw into the mass.

The general rotary saw blades 3RSB and 4RSB are awesome as well but I like to use ridgid cable holders. Using just one blade works great as well.

Last one....someone from PZ taught me this one....if the cable isn't spinning, the cutter isn't working. Always try to keep that cable spinning. Torquing it up doesn't work as well.
Attached Thumbnails
K60.....what I've learned over the years-img_2023-1-_1.jpg  

K60.....what I've learned over the years-img_20160121_192827162.jpg  

K60.....what I've learned over the years-img_20160121_103739291.jpg  

Drain Pro (01-22-2016), Gargalaxy (01-22-2016), [email protected] (01-22-2016), Mr Plumber (01-23-2016), mtfallsmikey (01-25-2016), Shoot'N'Plumber (01-22-2016), Tommy plumber (01-22-2016), wharfrat (01-22-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 12:25 AM   #2

View wharfrat's Photo Album My Photos

What do you use the head in the picture for? What situations?
wharfrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:44 AM   #3
Ridgid tool user

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat View Post
What do you use the head in the picture for? What situations?
Really big root masses. When you go in and the cable is grabbing but feels sluggish. You pull the cable out and there's just a tiny amount of roots on your cable head. This is the same style of cutter head that AllClear was pulling 24' roots with his K7500.
wharfrat (01-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 09:21 AM   #4

View Plumbducky's Photo Album My Photos

This is my finish cutter for the 60...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Plumbducky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumbducky For This Useful Post:
KoleckeINC (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
Mark

View KoleckeINC's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbducky
This is my finish cutter for the 60... Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I've replaced the blades several times myself but I figured to save time just once I would ask someone at Colemans to do it for me.
When you go to replace the blades get a pair of bent snap ring pliers and use a new ring every time.
Lost a set blades because some kid at Coleman used a screwdriver. They warranteed the blades but I lost them again. I bought a new assembly from them anyways.
Marv is so funny-I bought some parts for the k1500 and assembled them wrong. He said he'd fire me if I worked for him.
So far I've done all my own switches, brushes, cords, inner spartan drums, motors belts and replaced those plastic ridgid k1500 wheels with metal ones. Everybody is allowed a good fudge up. It's part of life.
KoleckeINC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KoleckeINC For This Useful Post:
gear junkie (01-22-2016), [email protected] (01-22-2016), MACK ATTAKK (01-23-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #6

View wyplumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoleckeINC View Post
I've replaced the blades several times myself but I figured to save time just once I would ask someone at Colemans to do it for me.
When you go to replace the blades get a pair of bent snap ring pliers and use a new ring every time.
Lost a set blades because some kid at Coleman used a screwdriver. They warranteed the blades but I lost them again. I bought a new assembly from them anyways.
Marv is so funny-I bought some parts for the k1500 and assembled them wrong. He said he'd fire me if I worked for him.
So far I've done all my own switches, brushes, cords, inner spartan drums, motors belts and replaced those plastic ridgid k1500 wheels with metal ones. Everybody is allowed a good fudge up. It's part of life.

Do you have a cutter like the one plumducky pictured for you k-1500?
wyplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #7

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I have learned that a great auger bit for getting stuck in a root line is this one. I should not have sent this bit down the line. I did it because the cutter bits were not getting through the stoppage. I cleared the stoppage with an arrowhead bit, but then got this one stuck. Anyway, retrieved my cable and made the necessary repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
K60.....what I've learned over the years-ridgid-auger-bit.jpg  

ChrisConnor (01-22-2016), gear junkie (01-22-2016), KoleckeINC (01-22-2016), Shoot'N'Plumber (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #8

View Shoot'N'Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
I have learned that a great auger bit for getting stuck in a root line is this one. I should not have sent this bit down the line. I did it because the cutter bits were not getting through the stoppage. I cleared the stoppage with an arrowhead bit, but then got this one stuck. Anyway, retrieved my cable and made the necessary repairs.
Yup! I got this one stuck so bad in a root infested clay lateral in Palm Springs about 2 years ago. That was before. Had a camera. I had to have my previous company come out with theirs and I had to free it with the jetter...this head has since been taken out of service
Shoot'N'Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:35 AM   #9
Ridgid tool user

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoleckeINC View Post
Lost a set blades because some kid at Coleman used a screwdriver. They warranteed the blades but I lost them again.
I bought a new assembly from them anyways.
Where are you using a ring at?
Old 01-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #10
Mark

View KoleckeINC's Photo Album My Photos

I use eel ends and cable in the 1500-I also have a drop head-ridgid does not. Plum duckys cutter is a General 3x6 On the bottom side-there's one snap ring holding that cutter together.
. I had a welding shop adapt an eel cutter end to my ridgid 4x6 cutter. Sometimes for one reason or another either cutter won't do. And I'm one damn determined plumber when I can't run a 6" cutter because of a stupid turn or some idiot puts a 6" running trap in the front lawn.
KoleckeINC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KoleckeINC For This Useful Post:
ChrisConnor (01-22-2016), Plumbducky (01-22-2016), Tommy plumber (01-22-2016), wyplumber (01-22-2016)