hackery throughout the house - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning


Like Tree31Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #1
philosopher and statesmen
 
Master Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indianapolis indiana ...
Posts: 6,885

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Default hackery throughout the house

I look at this slow drain on Sat morning and I go out today to get into this mess.....

some dumbass takes and raised the floor and also installs some kind of plastic buffer that holds water under the plywood.....

the home gets flooded out with a few feet of water and it sits in these little cups and rots out the floor...


then I have to pry up this plywood and tear out a panel installed over the floor drain just to get down to the floor drain
I did not expect that this would be built up this much.
Nothing a power saw could not cut through

it cleaned out ok fine but they have to tear out this whole framed cluster/uck due to the nasty mold growing under the floo

and thats not my job....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lrmh7KFrtTFJUYo38

.

chonkie, skoronesa, Tango and 1 others like this.
__________________
God created man in his own image and likeness but Sam Colt made them equal."
http://weilhammerplumbing.com/
http://plumberindianapolis.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
Plumbus (08-12-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
dhal22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,190

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Gawd, what a mess. Complete idiot, whomever did that.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,312

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Those pimple underlayer are for basement subfloor and you put your aspenite on top.

It's an eye opener to see what happens when you install the pimple down trapping all the mess. But then if you leave it the other side moisture builds and molds. So in the end that product isn't a good idea.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
philosopher and statesmen
 
Master Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indianapolis indiana ...
Posts: 6,885

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Those pimple underlayer are for basement subfloor and you put your aspenite on top.

It's an eye opener to see what happens when you install the pimple down trapping all the mess. But then if you leave it the other side moisture builds and molds. So in the end that product isn't a good idea.


So Tango, that grey plastic sheeting with the cups in it is called aspenite , and what is it exactly supposed to be used for??? I have not got a clue.....


It makes me wonder where These dumbasses got the idea to throw this stuff under that whole plywood floor?? Probably on some do it yourself site...

the lady is getting some handy man from the neighborhood to tear out all the frameing and flooring next week



skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
__________________
God created man in his own image and likeness but Sam Colt made them equal."
http://weilhammerplumbing.com/
http://plumberindianapolis.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #5
The captain of plumbing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Princeton, MN
Posts: 221

View CaptainBob's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Here is that Dricore stuff they sell at Menards


Name:  Dricore-1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  33.4 KB
GAN, skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
CaptainBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM   #6
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,312

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post
So Tango, that grey plastic sheeting with the cups in it is called aspenite , and what is it exactly supposed to be used for??? I have not got a clue.....


It makes me wonder where These dumbasses got the idea to throw this stuff under that whole plywood floor?? Probably on some do it yourself site...

the lady is getting some handy man from the neighborhood to tear out all the frameing and flooring next week



Aspnite is our term for OSB board (Oriented strand board)

The plastic sheet (Floor Draining Membrane) as your refer them to tiny cups prevents a wood floor from touching the concrete. It leaves a gap of air. It doesn't trap moisture causing mold. However seeing a sewer back up or even if it was clear water that product has to be taken out.

https://www.rona.ca/en/floor-drainin...SABEgJZKvD_BwE


I've made a spare bedroom in the basement with those dricore squares. It took a ton of shims as the concrete wasn't level and I didn't want it so squeak.

Now after seeing this and since the rest of my basement isn't finished yet I'm going to eventually put a vinyl floor or something and if it floods all I'll have to do is roll it up bring it outside and pressure wash it. I've got bundles and bundles of floating floor to finish the rest of the basement but now I think I'll put them in my bedroom upstairs.
skoronesa likes this.

Last edited by Tango; Yesterday at 07:35 AM..
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM   #7
philosopher and statesmen
 
Master Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indianapolis indiana ...
Posts: 6,885

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Aspnite is our term for OSB board (Oriented strand board)

The plastic sheet (Floor Draining Membrane) as your refer them to tiny cups prevents a wood floor from touching the concrete. It leaves a gap of air. It doesn't trap moisture causing mold. However seeing a sewer back up or even if it was clear water that product has to be taken out.

https://www.rona.ca/en/floor-drainin...SABEgJZKvD_BwE


I've made a spare bedroom in the basement with those dricore squares. It took a ton of shims as the concrete wasn't level and I didn't want it so squeak.

Now after seeing this and since the rest of my basement isn't finished yet I'm going to eventually put a vinyl floor or something and if it floods all I'll have to do is roll it up bring it outside and pressure wash it. I've got bundles and bundles of floating floor to finish the rest of the basement but now I think I'll put them in my bedroom upstairs.

Yes, with most basements you risk the possibility of it getting wet from either outside rain water of just a broken water heater flooding the room.... its just not wise to install something that can trap water under it that you cannot dry out easily..... the mold issues alone could totally ruin the sale of the home some day

we have seen many floating floors that were ruined on slab homes and had to be torn out due to some plumbing leaks...

I have installed in my own walk out basement ceramic tile flooring with throw rugs everywhere
.

I suppose a flood would get under this tile too but I have gone through that before and it was no big deal .

The only 100% sure way to keep from having a basement disaster is just to paint the floor with some kind of epoxy composite like they use on garage floors and then throw down the throw rugs......


.
skoronesa, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
__________________
God created man in his own image and likeness but Sam Colt made them equal."
http://weilhammerplumbing.com/
http://plumberindianapolis.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,763

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

those plastic sheets are not designed for flood water, just a moisture barrier from any moisture from the concrete , but any large amount of water and they work the opposite and hold the water....wood floors in any basement is asking for trouble, either epoxy as stated above or real ceramic tile put down with thinset will be water proof and dry out after a flood..
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM   #9
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,312

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
those plastic sheets are not designed for flood water, just a moisture barrier from any moisture from the concrete , but any large amount of water and they work the opposite and hold the water....wood floors in any basement is asking for trouble, either epoxy as stated above or real ceramic tile put down with thinset will be water proof and dry out after a flood..
I wouldn't go with tile either as water or worse sewer waste water will run through each crevice of the thin set and stay imprisoned there.



I'll be having a bigger soap later on to write about. I'm on standby with the city workers so I went back home and waiting for the call.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,763

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I wouldn't go with tile either as water or worse sewer waste water will run through each crevice of the thin set and stay imprisoned there.



I'll be having a bigger soap later on to write about. I'm on standby with the city workers so I went back home and waiting for the call.
when you squish the tile down, the ridges of thinset are suppose to flatten out and make a solid seal on the bottom of the tile, and then the grout seals the edges of the tile, so not much of anything should get under ceramic tile...if its all masonry, any water/moisture will evaporate from under the tile as its all porous ,,now raw sewage you can bleach the tiles and the bleach solution will go where ever the raw sewage may have seeped to...wood, carpet or any other sponge like material will be trash and need to be ripped out and removed..
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com