General brand jetter - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree18Likes

Old 12-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #1
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos
Default General brand jetter

Had a very frustrating, non productive day, place i work for has had this jetter for 16 years...iv used it twice in the 4 years iv been there.
Today all it did was trip breakers in this apartment building. Turned on vibrated for 2 seconds then breaker pops.
Went to hardware store got a 220 stove plug adaptor to 110v pulled the stove out went from there...machine didnt even turn on.
Its been repaired/modified an f*cked with more times then i can count over the years.
Office deemed it defective ...borrowd one from another company not even sure the brand. Got it loaded set up at the job an the stupid plug end is a t-slot ? Back to hardware store t slot recepticle,box, chop a power cord wire it on, plug it in works for 1 min this time then pop another breaker goes. ( atleast i cleaned out the trap arm of the kitch sink) but holy crap what a waste of time an money i felt like banging my head of the wall all day.
Im not conviced our machine is broken ...pretty sure its just an old building with crap for amps.
Any one have this issue with a jetter drawing too much power ?
skoronesa likes this.
canuck92 is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 06:13 PM   #2
Ridgid tool user

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos

Open up the unloader so the pressure starts lower. Or just go buy a pressure washer for 350 and it's the same thing.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:15 PM   #3

View V.A Hydro-ooter's Photo Album My Photos

Like gear junkie said you need to start it on low to no pressure then gradually increase the pressure. My mytana is a 15 amp unit and in older houses it will sometimes trip the breaker if I restart it on max pressure. Sometimes I have to run it on half of the max because any higher will constantly trip the breaker. On newer houses it's not been an issue.

I've also used the newer general brand machine a handful of times and it does the same thing.

The first "electric jetter" I had was an AR pressure washer that only drew 11 amps so it wasn't a problem. That sucker is still kicking around the house, mostly for washing my van.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
V.A Hydro-ooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #4
canuckPlumBbob

Pressure guage is broken i was told to "not touch it" its set to where it needs to be.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
Pressure guage is broken i was told to "not touch it" its set to where it needs to be.
There is a cheap workaround. You can get inline pressure gauges for $20 to $30. They just go on with quick connect adapters like most pressure washers and jetters use. You can then adjust the unloader all the way down then stop at whatever the current psi is set to if they don't want it above or below that.
skoronesa, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

Something like this. https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...xoCGOIQAvD_BwE
skoronesa likes this.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #7

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Had a very frustrating, non productive day, place i work for has had this jetter for 16 years...iv used it twice in the 4 years iv been there.
Today all it did was trip breakers in this apartment building. Turned on vibrated for 2 seconds then breaker pops.

What kind of jetter? They make several electric ones.

I have the jm-1000 mini-jetter. The motor seems like crapola but it does work. I used it on two jobs today. The first one we got had a garbage switch from brand new and the motor died real quick. We sent it back, they sent a new one. A month later they sent the other one back fixed!!!! Must have been bad communication. I think the supply house gave us a new one on warranty and the other got sent to general with our name on it so they fixed it under warranty. Might not have been a mistake though, we do $5+million gross product with the supply house each year so they try to keep us happy.

The biggest two issues are over heating, use only cold water, and over pressure, the nozzle holes clog. The second one must have been newer because it had a nice case for the nozzles and came with a torch tip orifice cleaner set for poking out the lime/grit from the nozzle holes.

I am waiting for one to die so I can cannibalize it and put a good motor on the pump in a bigger zytel toolbox.

Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:59 PM   #8
canuckPlumBbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Quote:

What kind of jetter? They make several electric ones.

I have the jm-1000 mini-jetter. The motor seems like crapola but it does work. I used it on two jobs today. The first one we got had a garbage switch from brand new and the motor died real quick. We sent it back, they sent a new one. A month later they sent the other one back fixed!!!! Must have been bad communication. I think the supply house gave us a new one on warranty and the other got sent to general with our name on it so they fixed it under warranty. Might not have been a mistake though, we do $5+million gross product with the supply house each year so they try to keep us happy.

The biggest two issues are over heating, use only cold water, and over pressure, the nozzle holes clog. The second one must have been newer because it had a nice case for the nozzles and came with a torch tip orifice cleaner set for poking out the lime/grit from the nozzle holes.

I am waiting for one to die so I can cannibalize it and put a good motor on the pump in a bigger zytel toolbox.

I hook my hose up to a k.s or bibb and only run cold, run water through it first feed the line in 20" or so then flip the switch, also i poke the holes free in the attatchment befour use.
worked fine the first time i used it. Second time took the power out first floor hallway to a building then all the stuff mentioned today.
Was given a breif 2 min explanation on the unit a while back.
As for the model im not sure like i said its 16 years old most of the markings are scratched off. I know its general brand though.
Too much pressure makes sense though also resistance with a greasy pipe.
We tested it out the other day at the shop on a new peice of pipe in the lot probably didnt replicate an accurate on the job senerio
Old 12-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #9
canuckPlumBbob

From the pics on the website it looks like the JM 1450
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #10

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
From the pics on the website it looks like the JM 1450

It says it uses 13 amps. That's not much headroom, not really surprised it tripped the breaker. On a 15 amp circuit they could have had a worn breaker or some old light bulbs running. Even on a 20 amp circuit if the fridge was on it I bet that would do it.

Or more likely as the other guys said, High start up current and that motor may be a bit worn out in the windings.

Don't you have an amp meter? Every one of us carries a multi meter with an inductive clamp.

MASTRPLUMB likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote