Frozen PEX pipe burst. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree13Likes

Old 03-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #1

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos
Default Frozen PEX pipe burst.

This is the first time I see PEX burst because of frozen pipes. There was a house that lost heat with no one living in it. Toilet tanks were solid ice. There were copper in the mechanical room but PEX in the walls and stubbed out in copper. I thought PEX was pretty good at taking frost and I was hopeful that there might not be any burst pipes in the walls. There were 2 burst copper pipes and a cracked brass ball valve in the mechanical room. The kitchen had copper stubbed up through the floor and down about 10" in the ceiling before converting to PEX. When turning on the water we heard a leak in the ceiling under the kitchen sink and it turns out there were a burst PEX pipe both on the cold and on the hot line in the exact same spot basically. I'm thinking that PEX might be good at dealing with frost when it has enough pipe to expand but on short pieces like this it might not take frost too well. I also thought it was weird how the hot side has burst perpendicular to the pipe and not with the pipe like you normally see.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
OpenSights, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Dane For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (03-03-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #2

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

Your probably right short pieces like that with no expansion room.. if it's really cold and they have a tap open a wee bit I know the pipe won't burst if it freezes because it'll allow for expansion but even if it freezes in two different spots it could spell trouble.. thank the lord our frozen pipes have hopefully come and gone so far for this year I did about 50 frozen pipe calls and about 30 of them the pipes were split
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Dane, how deep are water services buried in your location? Where are you, Minnesota?

Here in FL, our code states 1 foot minimum for water services. But we have some services that are exposed on the outside of the bldg. and then turn with a 90 and go into the exterior wall. Hard freezes are not all that common here.
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
Dane, how deep are water services buried in your location? Where are you, Minnesota?

Here in FL, our code states 1 foot minimum for water services. But we have some services that are exposed on the outside of the bldg. and then turn with a 90 and go into the exterior wall. Hard freezes are not all that common here.
I can never get used to hearing about things like water lines and water heaters outside the house. I believe the water service is a minimum of 7' below grade here. I have heard about frost as deep as 11' down. About 5 years ago here in town the city told people to run a constant drip to avoid freezing water service. It gets cold up here in north west MN. I think technically you are allowed to run water lines in an exterior wall if you take proper steps to protect it from freezing but normally no one would run a water line inside an exterior wall. It's around this time of the year I think about moving somewhere less cold. I'm getting tired of the snow and cold. Friday it heats up to a nice 25-30 degrees. Almost nice spring weather for around here.

MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

You guys must have a micro climate. It seems it colder where you are than up north where I am.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
You guys must have a micro climate. It seems it colder where you are than up north where I am.
Well north west Minnesota is technically further north than quebec city Canada.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #7
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Not by much, like I said previously I think it's colder where you are because of the wind of the great lakes.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Not by much, like I said previously I think it's colder where you are because of the wind of the great lakes.
You could be right. What ever it is I'm getting tired if it and honestly would not mind moving to a milder climate. Not some place hot just milder.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:14 AM   #9
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos
Talking

Here in Houston.Texas it is going to get down to a very cold
low to med 30's, come Monday night though Tuesday it will be down
into the low to mid 20's
[email protected]
MACPLUMB777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:13 AM   #10

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
I can never get used to hearing about things like water lines and water heaters outside the house. I believe the water service is a minimum of 7' below grade here. I have heard about frost as deep as 11' down. About 5 years ago here in town the city told people to run a constant drip to avoid freezing water service. It gets cold up here in north west MN. I think technically you are allowed to run water lines in an exterior wall if you take proper steps to protect it from freezing but normally no one would run a water line inside an exterior wall. It's around this time of the year I think about moving somewhere less cold. I'm getting tired of the snow and cold. Friday it heats up to a nice 25-30 degrees. Almost nice spring weather for around here.

You guys donít do re-pipes/re-routes like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Frozen PEX pipe burst.-45b2a8bb-8736-4554-86d1-89db45988259.jpg  

breplum, skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debo22 For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (03-04-2019)