Free plumbing for friends - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree83Likes

Old 07-07-2019, 12:53 AM   #1

View rooterboy's Photo Album My Photos
Default Free plumbing for friends

Neighbor asked to borrow my super-soaker

He wanted to borrow it to suck the water out of his kitchen sink. Now I do not loan tools and I do not borrow tools. At least I try not to. I never had any luck with letting someone borrow something of mine and that they do not return it and I need to chase after it. Now my neighbor is a pretty smart guy trained as a lawyer and working for a CPA. The CPA is his brother another pretty smart guy that used to remodel auto dealerships.
I went over to his house because my wife said I would be jeopardizing our friendship if I did not help. Anyways I agree to go to his home and let his use my tool to suck the water out of his kitchen sink. I was watching him and I asked about his kitchen sink. He told me he knew all about it. He had taken it all apart and pulled out a wire once and tried to clear it with three feet of a toilet auger.
So anyways I watch him suck most of the water out of his kitchen sink and he tells me that they were pouring drain cleaner down the drain and it still ran slow. I informed him that plumbers do not like to work on drains with drain cleaner in them. He informed me that it was his drain not the plumbers drain and he could do what he wants in his home. So his brother gives his him some advice to drain the sink disconnect the tubular plastic p trap and turn up the j bend and pour the drain cleaner directly into that and that should solve the problem.
So I just watched helped with the flash lite and then cleaned out my super soaker in fresh water and left. I did not want to use one of my snakes and cables in a drain that was full of acid and there was no cleanout and no way to run the water until after it was snaked and assembled. Besides I did some work for him before and it was an underpaid thankless job and he complained.
He is a friend we play cards sometimes and go to his house for a BBQ occasionally. But I do not know why friends think I own them free plumbing favors. I do not ask him for free accounting of legal services why does he or other friends just expect free plumbing?
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
rooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

This story rivals my soaps! Looks like the guy is a douche, and you know what a douche does?

Did he ask you to snake it?

Maybe now you should ask him to prepare some legal waivers or do your income tax or something at a deep discount, even free. If he says yeah and never produces them tell him to use the hell fire drain opener, the bigger the volcano the better.
ken53, GAN, OpenSights and 1 others like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
rooterboy (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #3

Just a bone head friend. He is stubborn and I chose not to argue with him and let him do what he wanted to do, it is his home. Even though it was a stupid ass idea I just watched without making any comments or offering to snake it. It would have been a thankless messy job that he would not have appreciated, so I did not offer to help.
Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #4

View Standard Drain's Photo Album My Photos

Same people that dont respect the price of your honest hard work. To them; they can't understand what makes you different than the $89 guy.
Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Standard Drain For This Useful Post:
rooterboy (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #5

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

NO nothing is for free....maybe if its a GOOD close friend and we do work back and forth for each other, but anyone else pays full price..
GAN, OpenSights, Tango and 1 others like this.
rooterboy (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #6

View V.A Hydro-ooter's Photo Album My Photos

If it's for family I'll do it free if it's a reasonable job where I won't be there much more than one hour. I'll give them a moderate discount if it's a bigger job.
If it's for a friend they get the same price I charge customers minus 15 percent.
I don't expect anyone to give me freebies. If my friends know I'm running my own business and expect a freebie then they're not really my friends. If they come to me with a proposition to barter then that's different.
It's like my wife's friend. He owns a party rental company. He always offers to give us moon bounces, chairs, tables, etc. for free. I always tell him to charge me what he'd charge a stranger. I know he's well off since he goes on vacation ALL the time but it's still his business.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
V.A Hydro-ooter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V.A Hydro-ooter For This Useful Post:
rooterboy (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #7

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

If homeowners were to read ONE thread on this site, this would be it. I get asked for free help, reduced prices too many times. Not once have I asked then for advice.

I've no charged my attorney friends a few times but that's on purpose. I might need advice someday.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhal22 For This Useful Post:
rooterboy (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #8

I have another friend in church his wife and my wife are also friends. I did a ceiling leak and replaced a regulator and charged them what I thought was a fair price. Well he paid me and his wife called my wife all upset about the price. So again to “save the friendship” I offered to pick up and install a new toilet for free. Not I felt a little resentful about this but I did it. This is the same friend whose wife panics when they had a pin hole leak and calls out a restoration company out that charges thousands of dollars to get the water out of the walls. When they need plumbing his wife calls my wife and my wife tells me to go there.
The last time the disposal was not working. My church friend informs me that he does not have any money at the time because he just spent all of his money on a down payment for a new car for his daughter. So I go out to look at the disposal and it is humming so I ask him if he has the service wrench. He looks through a junk drawer and pulls it out and looks at me and asks you mean this? I say yes I put the wrench in the bottom of the disposal and unstick the unit and it works. He looks at me and says I will buy you a 50 cent shake at Wendy’s the next time I see you.
The guy has no common sense he was a drrywaller by trade an is a talented artist but lacks common sense. I should have insisted he pay me, but I did not want to argue with him. “Obviously from his prospective, I am a friend and it only took 5 minutes at his home so why would I charge him?” My prospective I live 15 miles away I got in my work van and drove to your home and fixed your disposal and not get paid than I drive back home 15 miles. Even though it took 5 minutes to fix the job at the times it took many years of experience and sacrifice to learn the trade.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #9
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooterboy View Post
I have another friend in church his wife and my wife are also friends. I did a ceiling leak and replaced a regulator and charged them what I thought was a fair price. Well he paid me and his wife called my wife all upset about the price. So again to “save the friendship” I offered to pick up and install a new toilet for free. Not I felt a little resentful about this but I did it. This is the same friend whose wife panics when they had a pin hole leak and calls out a restoration company out that charges thousands of dollars to get the water out of the walls. When they need plumbing his wife calls my wife and my wife tells me to go there.
The last time the disposal was not working. My church friend informs me that he does not have any money at the time because he just spent all of his money on a down payment for a new car for his daughter. So I go out to look at the disposal and it is humming so I ask him if he has the service wrench. He looks through a junk drawer and pulls it out and looks at me and asks you mean this? I say yes I put the wrench in the bottom of the disposal and unstick the unit and it works. He looks at me and says I will buy you a 50 cent shake at Wendy’s the next time I see you.
The guy has no common sense he was a drrywaller by trade an is a talented artist but lacks common sense. I should have insisted he pay me, but I did not want to argue with him. “Obviously from his prospective, I am a friend and it only took 5 minutes at his home so why would I charge him?” My prospective I live 15 miles away I got in my work van and drove to your home and fixed your disposal and not get paid than I drive back home 15 miles. Even though it took 5 minutes to fix the job at the times it took many years of experience and sacrifice to learn the trade.
That's a straight up a$$hole. Next time your wife tells you to go there.... You should recognize his wife is manipulating yours and the guy at church is really in fact a smug weasel....Transmit some ridiculous story you won't go. You got to grow a backbone and tell them off. Before one of them dummies call you why don't you have them do something for you and offer them recompense the next time you meet at the post office you'll buy them a stamp.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:20 PM   #10

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

My brother in laws house has 4" cast and there is a break about 15' out. My sister clogs it with tampons/wipes at least once a year. I charge them like 150$. Takes me like an hour from the time I start unloading to the time I finish reloading. I never asked them to pay me, my brother in law brought it up and I think he paid me like 200$ the first time a couple years ago.

Now my neighbor a house down, he had these two hose spigots that wouldn't shut off all the way, been dripping for years, lime built up so bad you couldn't get a hose on no matter how hard you tried. I spent like an hour with some hcl and my pocket knife cleaning them up then changed the washers. I didn't charge him. He offered to pay me though, I think he knew I wouldn't want money but he offered.

My ex-best friend. He's really gone down hill the past ten years. No heat in his basement this past winter. He immediately told me on the phone he'd pay me. I disconnected the radiator on a monoflo system, added two sweat valves first so I could refill and restart the system, then cleaned a ton of crap from the radiator that was blocking flow. Took me a couple hours. When I was done his very drunk uncle who recently got out of jail for the umpteenth time had to step up and give me 50$ because it was obvious my buddy wasn't going to.

Some people are just not the kind to treat others the way they want to be treated all the time. When someone asks me to fix something and the terms aren't they buy the parts and pay some of my labor upfront I assume I am never getting paid. I very rarely work outside the scope of my normal employ, but when I do, I assume it's charity.

You guys need to be like master mark and say fockem all, SERVICE TICKETS FOR EVERYONE!!

Tango likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote