Draining/opening C.O.'s - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree27Likes

Old 09-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #1

View Toli's Photo Album My Photos
Default Draining/opening C.O.'s

You guys spending hours draining down overhead sewers need to take a look at the zip drain.

https://www.zipdrain.com/

May not work in every scenario but it will in most.
Toli is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toli View Post
You guys spending hours draining down overhead sewers need to take a look at the zip drain.

https://www.zipdrain.com/

May not work in every scenario but it will in most.

Take a trash bag and tape the open end around the c.o.. Cut a good sized hole in the other end. This is your "hose" which will direct the sewage into the barrel. Or you can use a 3'x5' drop cloth which is what I usually do. Loosen the cap with your channellocks. Then gripping the c.o. through the drop cloth/bag begin to open it. This way you can slowly let out the sewage and it's guided into the bucket. When the barrel is 2/3rds full begin to screw the plug back in. It takes a little practice but I do it many times a year and it doesn't cost 500$.

Do you actually own and use one of these regularly? It seems like a great idea but for those of us who know what we are doing it isn't that much of an improvement. I would put this up there next to the rectorseal pipe shredder. Very expensive, use it a couple times a year, can get by without it.

Most of our lines are cast iron and many that need to be snaked have been snaked before so they have those italian fitalli plugs. I ain't gonna drill out a fitalli plug with a hole saw.

In a case like this I just pull a toilet. I also have a temp sump pump on the van which I have used exactly as he did to empty a barrel back into the sewer, it's a real handy idea.

MASTRPLUMB likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #3

View Toli's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Take a trash bag and tape the open end around the c.o.. Cut a good sized hole in the other end. This is your "hose" which will direct the sewage into the barrel. Or you can use a 3'x5' drop cloth which is what I usually do. Loosen the cap with your channellocks. Then gripping the c.o. through the drop cloth/bag begin to open it. This way you can slowly let out the sewage and it's guided into the bucket. When the barrel is 2/3rds full begin to screw the plug back in. It takes a little practice but I do it many times a year and it doesn't cost 500$.

Do you actually own and use one of these regularly? It seems like a great idea but for those of us who know what we are doing it isn't that much of an improvement. I would put this up there next to the rectorseal pipe shredder. Very expensive, use it a couple times a year, can get by without it.

Most of our lines are cast iron and many that need to be snaked have been snaked before so they have those italian fitalli plugs. I ain't gonna drill out a fitalli plug with a hole saw.

In a case like this I just pull a toilet. I also have a temp sump pump on the van which I have used exactly as he did to empty a barrel back into the sewer, it's a real handy idea.

Whatever blows your hair back. Donít care. I put it up as an alternative solution.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Ben.
Toli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toli For This Useful Post:
justme (Yesterday)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM   #4

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toli View Post
Whatever blows your hair back. Donít care. I put it up as an alternative solution.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Ben.

I didn't expect you to personally care. This isn't a pissing contest. I admit that my line "those of us who know what we are doing" sounded like a dig at you but it wasn't. I should have said "those of us who snake drains regularly". Don't take it personally. I snake roughly 5 main lines a week averaged over the year. I didn't know you were a drain snaker as I haven't seen you post much. You also didn't mention if it worked well so I assumed you didn't know. If you know then you know, if you don't then you don't. Either way our jobs go on.

And my question of your experience with that product was sincere. Have you actually used one of those? It seems like a great idea but only one or two guys online have used one more than once and then told us how well it does or doesn't work. It pops up in plumbing/drain snaking forums once every couple years but has yet to actually catch on. I would guess this is because it really isn't worth it and is just that much more crap you have to lug around.

And it's only a hijacked thread until @Tango moves these posts to a seperate thread titled "Draining/opening C.O.'s".

Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Here you go.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM   #6
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Pricey for sure, but great idea! I usually tell people they can pay more to pull a toilet or save money and clean up the mess made from opening the high wall clean out. As long as there’s a tub with a stopper, a shop vac is all you need.
skoronesa, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #7
Moderator Wizard

Talking about sewage where the hell do you put it if you have to pull a toilet and your shop vac pail is full? Go buy more pails and pile them up outside and bring them back in and flush it down the toilet once it's cleared?
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM   #8

View V.A Hydro-ooter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Talking about sewage where the hell do you put it if you have to pull a toilet and your shop vac pail is full? Go buy more pails and pile them up outside and bring them back in and flush it down the toilet once it's cleared?
If there is already sewage in the tub then I'll just pour it in there. If not then I take it outside and dump it into the manhole.
I have a decent size shop vac so it can usually handle whatever is in a toilet without having to dump it until I reset the toilet. I also have a second shop vac just in case. I honestly can't remember the last time I needed to dump my primary shop vac though.
I always go from above the clog if there is excessive sewage. Sometimes that means removing a toilet on a higher level, going on a roof or cutting the wall and installing a cleanout.
OpenSights, skoronesa and Tango like this.
V.A Hydro-ooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #9
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.A Hydro-ooter View Post
If there is already sewage in the tub then I'll just pour it in there. If not then I take it outside and dump it into the manhole.
I have a decent size shop vac so it can usually handle whatever is in a toilet without having to dump it until I reset the toilet. I also have a second shop vac just in case. I honestly can't remember the last time I needed to dump my primary shop vac though.
I always go from above the clog if there is excessive sewage. Sometimes that means removing a toilet on a higher level, going on a roof or cutting the wall and installing a cleanout.
Manholes here are full blanks so I wouldn't try dumping into the 1" slots. In the winter they're under snow and you can't see them.

Then if you dump it in the tub it'll overflow out from the toilet flange when you need to pull the toilet. I freaking hate those dirty jobs.
skoronesa likes this.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #10

View V.A Hydro-ooter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.A Hydro-ooter View Post
Manholes here are full blanks so I wouldn't try dumping into the 1" slots. In the winter they're under snow and you can't see them.

Then if you dump it in the tub it'll overflow out from the toilet flange when you need to pull the toilet. I freaking hate those dirty jobs.
That's why you put the stopper down so that doesn't happen. I also carry a spare stopper for those tubs without one.

If I'm dumping into a manhole then I take the cover off. Most of the manholes I run into have a cover underneath anyway. Dumping it into the hook opening would not work in those. Luckily we don't get too much snow around here and when it does snow the streets are cleaned off pretty quickly.

I don't dump sewage into the yard because there may be that nosey neighbor watching who will report me.
OpenSights, skoronesa and Tango like this.
V.A Hydro-ooter is online now   Reply With Quote