Drain tech diaries - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree101Likes

Old 03-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #1

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos
Default Drain tech diaries

It has been decided that this deserves its own thread.. Welcome to drain tech diaries.. a day in the life of a drain tech.. no soldering here no faucet repairs.. This is the down and dirty side of plumbing.. When skat hits the fan this is the kind of scenarios you will see.. My area has it all New build, old , older and oldest.. so your going to see the different ways things are set up drainage wise and hopefully we'll get a laugh or two..

I'm going to try keep this thread alive by minimum weekly posts depending on what i am doing but Strictly drain cleaning and drain related stuff.. I'm a workaholic so honestly it shouldn't be an issue for material its getting footage that'll be hard.. If anyone has any ideas all I've got is a cellphone right now maybe an upgrade in equipment will come depends on how things pan out.

And make sure you guys like and subscribe maybe one day it'll help me out Im a broke azz Canuck ehh. I appreciate all who read and watch , dont be afraid to tell me im a idiot or at least let me know what you want to see.. like give me ideas too.. Im only so creative.

Starting a thread to post the worst of the worst you have come across... I'm talking about stuff that plumbers nightmares are composed of. Horror stories. Poo and anything that comes out of the drain nice root pics are encouraged too. I'm gonna start with a pic and a video.. Stories encouraged..pics and video links to provide visual.. better..

Sewer spoons.. ratatouille next to boiler

Sludge factor
Attached Thumbnails
Drain tech diaries-20190120_105527_1551744437690.jpg  

Drain tech diaries-20190220_122649_1551744494025.jpg  

chonkie likes this.

Last edited by Tango; 03-18-2019 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Made a new thread
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Venomthirst For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (05-27-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 07:45 PM   #2

Yea I posted in that too... I as gross as it is I rather go into a dirty house to do a dirty job rather than a spotless house and snake the sewer it stresses me out like There is not enough preparedness or cleaning supplies in the world to not make some kind of mess..

Today was in multi million dollar house was ther for like close to 4 hours snaking this line.. pluggered solid.. sludge line lady said never used this toilet just cleaned it today and flushed and it backed up....

It had dried out and was 40' of papier mache.. just had to push it all the way to the septic tank and run water and snake and all sorts of fun..

lately it's been all septic tanks.. had one where they used a 2.5" galv fence post as the pipe from house to tank lmfao
Old 03-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Never say never. I haven’t pulled spoons out with my cable!
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #4

I've pulled other companies cables out with my cable.. more than once...

Pulled one out of an apartment building toilet stack it was a 5/16" cable about 35' long coiled up on mine made it hell of a job to get it out..

Another was a mainline cable 5/8 or 3/4".. pulled it out of a 4" stack cleanout at a house came out easy though..

Hockey sticks in manholes are common around housing complexes here were Canadian Eh!
Old 03-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomthirst View Post
I've pulled other companies cables out with my cable.. more than once...

Pulled one out of an apartment building toilet stack it was a 5/16" cable about 35' long coiled up on mine made it hell of a job to get it out..

Another was a mainline cable 5/8 or 3/4".. pulled it out of a 4" stack cleanout at a house came out easy though..

Hockey sticks in manholes are common around housing complexes here were Canadian Eh!
Why do guys cut their cable in a pipe and you are able to retrieve them? They get stuck cut them off and leave the job? How and why do you get them out and they can't?
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #6

Maybe I'm not sure sometimes it's like they didn't anchor it to the drum so if you let go gravity pulls it in.. or if their cables are old and weak it snaps.. maybe they give up maybe they just get paid leave and hope for the best..

I ve only once used camera to retrieve a cable and it was our own it was worn and broke k1500 cable we just hooked it with retriever and yanked it out..
our fault really and I'll be first to admit it.. we got it out and got a dig job out of it still because sewer was broken bad and infested with tree branches
Old 03-05-2019, 03:26 PM   #7

Hes my little buddy and sewer maggots https://youtu.be/gcxQ9t7lE4s
https://youtu.be/wiWKJSn7Od4
Old 03-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #8

Mental illness affects everyone
Old 03-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #9

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomthirst View Post
Mental illness affects everyone

some more than others................
Old 03-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #10

Pulled out a handy hacks cable out today...

Well I didn't the guy I was working with did lmao.. I loosened the monster root ball they had on the end and he finished it off..

They had dug up the floor and this that and the other.. I first worked the home depot rental machine to get the cable loosened then once I got it spinning again I knew we'd get it out...

So I worked machine back and forth for over an hour then let took a break and let the senior man give it a shot and it came out with about 50lbs of roots on it..

We looked around I found the main c.o buried under a kitchen sink under tile...

Set it up to go back and clean it properly with a real machine and camera...

Twas a nice last call of the day.. the handymen came while we were working on it... we got cable out and they wrapped it up quickly and we off.. they had brought a come along to try and get the cables out..

I've had my snake stuck in mega roots like that so many times it's not even funny just gotta keep working it she'll come back.. That's why h.d won't even rent you real blades to clean your drain just ones to poke a hole in it..

Most people look at the auger bits I put on and go holy! Your gonna put that in there...

I've gotten calls where guys been cleaning it himself for 10 years and now I gotta go and clean a pipe with a tree trunk growing in it.... Not fun