Cable question. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree12Likes

Old 11-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #1

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cable question.

So I was planing on buying a Ridgid K3800 a while back but I let my wife convince me to wait a while. I am now ready to buy the k3800 with 3 drums 1/2", 3/8" and 5/16". I am also ready to buy a general speedrooter 92 with 5/8" cable.

I believe I heard that the 5/16" will be as good as a 1/4" for going through tub overflow and 11/2" p-trap plus 11/4" galvanized drain. What would you guys recommend 1/4" or 5/16"?

For 3/8" and 1/2" I believe I can put another brand of cable in the k3800 the way it attaches in the drum. Is this correct or would I need an adaptor? If so then what cable would you guys recommend? Ridgid or general, or other?

I am not too happy about the screw in the general connectors but I like the 2 set screws on Gorlitz connectors is there an adaptor or others way of changing that in case the general is what you guys recommend?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 12:25 AM   #2

View V.A Hydro-ooter's Photo Album My Photos

I would recommend using 1/4" for small drains and galvanized. I've gotten it to go through 3/4" PVC before.

As far as brands, you can definitely use other brand cables. I've had great luck with Duracable. The cables are just held in the drum by a type of clamp so it doesn't matter what brand you use.

I've actually never attached my cables to the drums except for my mainline machine. It was just my preference, I'm sure others prefer it attached.

The cables I have for my 3800 have the threaded male ends which I think is better than the general and Ridgid attachment heads. I find I can take tight bends easier with that. Not as easy as an open wound 5/8 cable but I know that's not the direction you're going.
V.A Hydro-ooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #3

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I use sectional cables. So I can't really join in this conversation.

I use the Ridgid 7/8", 5/8" and 5/16" cables.
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

I haven’t used a 3800, but I usually prefer the 1/4 over the 5/16. IMHO, the only advantage of 5/16 longer life.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #5

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

1/4" is good but it kinks really easy I prefer 5/16 especially if you snake galvanized drains... you wont have a problem getting it around plastic or brass trap even cast got gotten around before...

drum traps... not so much

I own a k3800 and use one every day really good machine... the grommet that hold the power cord into the machine is weak I leave enough slack to allow for full motion then zip tie or tape cord to cart... if you do more than houses cart is way to go..

3/8 cable for 1.5" and up it will go through anything damn near... when I have a new cable I bend a straight auger to go around bends much easier as you snake a couple hundred drains it loosens up...

1/2" cable no experience as I usually put 5/8" through toilet stacks but it would be just fine.. all around good machine..

Tango has guide hose for his machine which would be handy for bathtubs or basins in tight bathrooms I usually put whole machine in tub and sometimes its.tight in a small bathroom..

Sludge line kitchens multiple passes required. K50 is better in that department.... apartment building kitchen stacks k3800 is best machine
Venomthirst is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Venomthirst For This Useful Post:
Tango (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I haven’t used a 3800, but I usually prefer the 1/4 over the 5/16. IMHO, the only advantage of 5/16 longer life.
So why 1/4" over 5/16"? Does 5/16" not go through tub overflow and trap as well as 1/4"? I have not tried the 5/16". I only know the 1/4" and I feel like it is a limp #@=& but it is the only thing that I have tried that will go through 11/4" galvanized or copper lines. I would imagine that the 5/16" would also go through those lines just fine but have more strength.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:23 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
So why 1/4" over 5/16"? Does 5/16" not go through tub overflow and trap as well as 1/4"? I have not tried the 5/16". I only know the 1/4" and I feel like it is a limp #@=& but it is the only thing that I have tried that will go through 11/4" galvanized or copper lines. I would imagine that the 5/16" would also go through those lines just fine but have more strength.

Tub drain or the rare 1 1/4” drain is all I use 1/4” cable for and that’s in a vee drill. My next size cable is 3/8 for sinks, floor drains...

Every drain cleaner is different! What works for me won’t work for you and vice versa.

Using a kink can make a cable do amazing things. Each cable and kink is different for me.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Tub drain or the rare 1 1/4” drain is all I use 1/4” cable for and that’s in a vee drill. My next size cable is 3/8 for sinks, floor drains...

Every drain cleaner is different! What works for me won’t work for you and vice versa.

Using a kink can make a cable do amazing things. Each cable and kink is different for me.
1/4" I have used just like you only on tubs and 11/4" drains. 1/2" I use on a clog inside the house where I have to pull a toilet so I know it won't be tree roots and also going through old cast iron floor drain cleanouts. 3/8" I use in sink drains. I also like a slight kink at the end of the cable to help go through 90° fittings.

OpenSights likes this.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:49 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
1/4" I have used just like you only on tubs and 11/4" drains. 1/2" I use on a clog inside the house where I have to pull a toilet so I know it won't be tree roots and also going through old cast iron floor drain cleanouts. 3/8" I use in sink drains. I also like a slight kink at the end of the cable to help go through 90° fittings.

1/4” z pattern, one kink for the rest. I only use 1/2” for copper with a big warning!
Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM   #10

So I have come to believe that the general cables might be the way to go. I am though having concerns because one of our other guys just had the screw and cutter come of the cable in a sewer the other day. When I first became a plumber I also lost a cutter and screw. So I really don't trust the way general attaches with just a screw.

Is there really not a good way to get different ends on a general cable? Or is there another cable that is also really good but with better ends?

skoronesa likes this.