Best sectional cable shown with the Dreel - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree3Likes

Old 03-02-2019, 04:00 PM   #1
Ridgid tool user

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos
Default Best sectional cable shown with the Dreel

Using the drill to highlight the strength of the sewer cable but recommend for the user to follow the safety instructions set forth by manufactures and their company policy. Use drill at YOUR OWN RISK!!

The General Pipe Cleaners 5R-10 is a 7/8x5' cable that works with the General RT-66, Ridgid K60SP, K5208 along with Rothenberger and any drain cleaning machine that use 7/8" sectional cable. The ends are compatible with the Ridgid T-slide blade holders as well.

Five foot lengths enable it to be used in a bathroom or tight places. Makes the sectional machine more versatile and easier to use. Highly recommended!!

Debo22 likes this.
Debo22 (03-02-2019), Tommy plumber (03-03-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #2

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

Good video.. showing different options to get the job done thanks again for your contributions
Venomthirst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:20 AM   #3

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks Ben for the video.

A couple of things to say:
1st the positive:
If, and I say if, the plumber was doing that job inside a home through the W/C riser pipe {least desirable method} I like the drill option since it is less to use inside a small bathroom. Also the shorter 5' cables are easier to manage inside a small space.

2nd the negative:
When you released the trigger on the drill, the cable turns 5-6 revolutions. I don't like that. Also, the user has to keep walking towards and away from the c.o. with his body instead of kneeling at the c.o. and feeding the cable in or out. Additionally, both hands are needed to operate the drill; I like to feed the cable in w/ {1} hand while my other hand is on the K-60 machine.

My other concern would be the power. The drill's power isn't evident from the video. Except what is telling is the thick roots that it pulled out. So it appears that the drill has some power. How it measures up to the power of a K-60 though, I can't gauge from the video.

The conclusion that can be drawn is that this is another tool in the experienced drain cleaner's toolbox. The drill option gives the drain cleaner another way that has its place in trying to clear a stoppage.

The 5' lengths of cable are definitely a good tool to have. The 5' cable may eliminate the need to use the sleeve that comes with the Ridgid K-60 machine kit. The plumber could feed in the 15' lengths of cable until the stoppage is encountered and then switch to the 5' lengths to minimize the excess cable flopping around outside of the c.o. My 2 cents.
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
gear junkie (03-03-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Ridgid tool user

Tommy, thanks for the comments.

I actually use that cable more with my k60 then with the dreel. Also I'd never use the dreel inside. Now General just came out with 1-1/4 x 5 sectional cables....oh boy...that changes a whole lot right there. Inside use, I don't use the guide tube at all. I just use carboard on the floor.

The drill is a makita mud mixer....the thing that separates it from every other drill I can find is it has a paddle switch so you can change direction on the fly. Also the drill weighs 8lbs and cost 140 so I don't care if it lasts a year. I use the same drill with 1-1/4 electric eel cable that has a 5/8 innercore and it works well. Just to give you a weight comparison...the electric eel is stored in 32' reels. The 7/8 general cable is stored in 75' reels. Can I fit more with the electric eel? Yup...just can't pick it up.

I like the dreel setup because my hands never touch a spinning cable....there's a picture of a freak accident where a plumber has a k60 cable right through his hand. Also the dreel setup is physically easier to use because I have back pain, a good weather and bad weather knee and my hands go numb from excessive vibration. The dreel eliminates all that.

I actually took all the 15' cables out the van and only have the 5'ers.
breplum (03-13-2019), Tommy plumber (03-03-2019)
Old 01-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #5

View AssTyme's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear junkie View Post

I actually use that cable more with my k60 then with the dreel. Also I'd never use the dreel inside. Now General just came out with 1-1/4 x 5 sectional cables....oh boy...that changes a whole lot right there. Inside use, I don't use the guide tube at all. I just use carboard on the floor.

The drill is a makita mud mixer....the thing that separates it from every other drill I can find is it has a paddle switch so you can change direction on the fly. Also the drill weighs 8lbs and cost 140 so I don't care if it lasts a year. I use the same drill with 1-1/4 electric eel cable that has a 5/8 innercore and it works well. Just to give you a weight comparison...the electric eel is stored in 32' reels. The 7/8 general cable is stored in 75' reels. Can I fit more with the electric eel? Yup...just can't pick it up.

I like the dreel setup because my hands never touch a spinning cable....there's a picture of a freak accident where a plumber has a k60 cable right through his hand. Also the dreel setup is physically easier to use because I have back pain, a good weather and bad weather knee and my hands go numb from excessive vibration. The dreel eliminates all that.

Eel has made 4' sections of 1.25 for years.
AssTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #6

Quote:

You're welcome
Old 01-06-2020, 01:54 PM   #7

I think I'm going to be purchasing some of these 5' sections soon. How many feet can you fit in one reel?
Old 01-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #8
Ridgid tool user

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssTyme View Post
I think I'm going to be purchasing some of these 5' sections soon. How many feet can you fit in one reel?
75'-90' AJ Coleman has them in stock.
AssTyme (01-06-2020)
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM   #9

Quote:
75'-90' AJ Coleman has them in stock.

Going to get them from All Star for $38.55 each.
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM   #10

We talkin' flex shaft money here!