Any thoughts on the General Wire P-T3-D? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree9Likes

Old 01-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #1

View PlumbdogTim's Photo Album My Photos
Default Any thoughts on the General Wire P-T3-D?

My plumbing supply stocks these for about $1150. You can't really find any reviews online anywhere for them, so does anyone here have any experience with this machine? What would you recommend in it's place?

Here is a link to it on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/General-Wire-.../dp/B009HX94BW
PlumbdogTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #2

View Standard Drain's Photo Album My Photos

What is the main type of blockage you are trying to work on?

If your looking for a 1/2 branch line; and the occasional main I had purchased

https://www.gorlitz.com//drain-clean...s/GO-50-PE.asp

Its pretty light to carry around.

If your looking for something to clear 4 inch mains I would get something thicker than 1/2 inch cable machine.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #3

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

The T3 is only for 2"-4" and only up to 100' because it's only 1/3HP and on their site it states it's for inside drains so not good for tree roots outside the house. I have use their speedometer 92 for mains and it worked good.

If you are looking for inside the house then I would go with the rigid k3800 with a few desperate drums that holds different sizes of cables so you only need 1 machine for all sizes inside the house. If you are looking for main sewer machines I would go bigger. We currently use Gorlitz for main lines and it's powerfully as can be but a heavy beast and I would not buy it myself because of the weight.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #4

View PlumbdogTim's Photo Album My Photos

This machine would be for cleaning out sewer lines inside of a house. Probably mainly body wipes and stuff like that. I have a 1/4" machine for real small blockages. I figure a 1/2" machine is a good investment, the next thing I would need is a 3/4" for 6" mains and tree roots. 5/8" seems like an in-between size. I'm thinking that that would be the last addition unless you guys think that would be a better investment than a 1/2" machine.

I'll get some prices on the K-3800. The downside of it is that you get 10' less on 1/2" cable. Do you think it's a better machine than the T3? I read the cable isn't interchangeable between the two brands, is Ridgid cable notably better than the one General uses?
PlumbdogTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #5

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

I can't speak too much about the cables and have only actually tried running the k3800 1 time. You will find on here that a lot of people here can and will recommend the 3800. I will soon enough be buying the k3800 myself as I prepare to one day start my own business. I would get the sink drum with 1/4" cable for tub drains and old 11/4" galvanised drains. The 3/8" 75' drum for 11/2 and 2" drains. The 1/2" 75' drum for 2" floor drains and laundry drains and only 3"drain if I know it's inside the house so no roots. For sewers I would get a bigger machine and just have 5/8" 100' plus an extra 50'-75' drum if it is longer than 100'. 5/8" will do 6" but I have rarely seen a 6" sewer line, that tends to go to the rooter company that has the bigger equipment. Since its mostly 3"-4" we deal with for sewers I don't see the need to log around all that extra weight of a bigger cable when almost all our sewers are in basements. The 10' you loose is nothing to worry about unless you work on mansions, I have never had more that 50'-75'cable on any machine inside a house and rarely use more than 40' max and never have I been short of cable inside a house.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:02 AM   #6

View Fatpat's Photo Album My Photos

In my opinion there is no need for 1/2” cable on residential systems. 3/8” can handle any branch line and the occasional “pair of underwear ” in a mainline. Duracable is my brand of choice my 3/8” & 1/4” machine is a DM138A2.

I run 5/8” rubber core for my mainline machine
Which is a Duracable Dm162. Two drums are necessary to give me 160’ of reach.
plumberinlaw and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Fatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #7

View Standard Drain's Photo Album My Photos

an inner-core 3/8 might be ok for branch lines 2-3 inch. But I think for what he stated his need is; i would go ahead and grab the 1/2 machine.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos
Talking

https://www.electriceel.com/products...5-auto-feed-2/

Model Z5 Auto Feed
Cleans 1-1/4” – 3” diameter lines up to 100 ft. while running 1/2″ dia. galvanized aircraft wire inner core cable. Built-in drum shaft slip clutch. Upright frame on large 10” wheels with folding handle. Rear bar shields motor and allows for two position operation. Steel guide tube/inner drum. 1/2” x 75 ft. cable standard.

In addition to all the benefits and features of the standard Model Z5, the auto feed version allows the operator to advance and retrieve the cable with the push of a lever. The cable runs through a guide spring which keeps hands off the rotating cable for added safety.

Additional information
Cable Length
75ft.

Minimum Drain Size
1 1/4in.

Maximum Drain Size
3in.

Power
Electric

Power Details
1/3 HP

$ 1,300.00 FOB SPRINGFIELD,OH
:bigg rin:
sethro1981 likes this.
[email protected]
MACPLUMB777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:28 PM   #9
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos
Talking

http://www.trojanworldwide.com/colt.html

Trojan Colt Sewer/Drain Cleaning Machine with 1/2" x 75' cable, $237.00

http://www.trojanworldwide.com/Trojan-Colt-New.pdf $1,295.00
POWER FEED $495.00

RECOMMENDED 13/32" X 100' $244.00
This is the best can go anywhere a 3/8" cable will But also will do anything
that you would want to run a 1/2" cable I have over 25 years running this,
ALL THIS FOB HOUSTON, TEXAS
:bigg rin:
[email protected]
MACPLUMB777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #10

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbdogTim View Post
My plumbing supply stocks these for about $1150. You can't really find any reviews online anywhere for them, so does anyone here have any experience with this machine? What would you recommend in it's place?

Here is a link to it on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/General-Wire-.../dp/B009HX94BW

I have that 1/2" and NEVER use it. When the other guys cover my calls they will bring the 1/2", not get the clog, and then tell the customer I will come monday with the "big snake". I use the 5/8" version. I think they call the 5/8" the speedrooter 92. I have two 5/8"x100 cables in drums and a 3/4"x75 in a drum. I also have a spare drive head. I use my 5/8" several times a week for 4" main line blockages. Having the spares is a must so you don't miss a call. The drive heads last about 6 months before being torn down, cleaned, and new bearings put in.

It has a lot of torque even though it's only 1/3hp. Occasionally(once or twice a year) I will run the 5/8" all the way out and then swap drums, connect cables, and run the 3/4" so I can get out even farther. I don't like doing this but for a good customer in a pinch I will. Usually I just tell them sorry call joe blow with the 600' jetter and the excavator.

It is alright going upstairs, easier than our ridgid/kollmann k-750 drum snake but mostly because the general is shorter. Both have stair rollers. For getting the snake back in my van I have a ramp and a pulley system. For years I used to just get in and pull it up myself but after a manhole cover broke my toe and it had to heal for a couple weeks I finally broke down and took the time to do something I have been wanting to do for years.

The guys on here mostly seem to like sectional and the ridgid drum units but personally I love my general snake, never lets me down. The general cables are great too and I recommend them regardless of what brand drum unit you get. General is first and foremost a wire and spring company. I wouldn't be surprised if they make other brands cables. Of course they keep the best alloy recipes to themselves.

https://drainbrain.com/en/products/speedrooter-92/

Get that guy^^ It won't let you down.

Attached Thumbnails
Any thoughts on the General Wire P-T3-D?-imag0339.jpg  

Any thoughts on the General Wire P-T3-D?-imag0340.jpg  

dhal22 likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
rooterboy (01-21-2019)