Advice request: How to remove a 1 1/4" cable with Ridgid K-1500 - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Drain and Sewer Cleaning

Like Tree44Likes
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 05:45 PM   #1

View Bruce0909's Photo Album My Photos
Default Advice request: How to remove a 1 1/4" cable with Ridgid K-1500

Hi - I bought a used K-1500 to clean out my house's main line. 1 1/4" cable. I realize this is probably the issue (that i should use a 5/8" at most), but here's my question: I'm going into a vent stack through a large removable cap on the side (so 90 degree bend), and about 6 feet down, there's another 90 into the main drain. That connection is not a smooth curve...it's a hard 90. I was able to make the turn on the way in, and run the cable to the city's sewer. Pulling it out, though, was epic, and I'm convinced that the resistance was the 90 into the main line.

I was running the machine in 'forward' and pulsed the rotation on for a few seconds, then pull about 6 inches, rinse and repeat. I didn't pull out anything significant, so it wasn't resistance from a root ball...

Is there something basic i'm doing wrong? (other than probably using too big of a cable)?

- One potential solution I considered was feeding the cable into the main line and then sending down a flexible sleeve, similar to the one that's attached to the back of the 1500. Is this done? If so, what do people use?

Thanks for reading...looking forward to any thoughts, tips, or tricks you might have!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #2

View Stratocaster626's Photo Album My Photos

Should've used a hand snake they're only $15
sparky, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

My first thought is that you are a dangerous person, adrenaline junkie.

My tip to you is to leave cleaning to someone who knows what they are doing and carries proper liability insurance instead of risking tens of thousands of dollars in repairs.

And here’s my other tip. Look at the very top right of this page and ask yourself if you are a qualified plumbing professional. If your answer is yes, read the site rules and post a proper intro.
skoronesa and Tango like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (04-23-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #4

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce0909 View Post
Hi - I bought a used K-1500 to clean out my house's main line. 1 1/4" cable. I realize this is probably the issue (that i should use a 5/8" at most), but here's my question: I'm going into a vent stack through a large removable cap on the side (so 90 degree bend), and about 6 feet down, there's another 90 into the main drain. That connection is not a smooth curve...it's a hard 90. I was able to make the turn on the way in, and run the cable to the city's sewer. Pulling it out, though, was epic, and I'm convinced that the resistance was the 90 into the main line.

I was running the machine in 'forward' and pulsed the rotation on for a few seconds, then pull about 6 inches, rinse and repeat. I didn't pull out anything significant, so it wasn't resistance from a root ball...

Is there something basic i'm doing wrong? (other than probably using too big of a cable)?

- One potential solution I considered was feeding the cable into the main line and then sending down a flexible sleeve, similar to the one that's attached to the back of the 1500. Is this done? If so, what do people use?

Thanks for reading...looking forward to any thoughts, tips, or tricks you might have!

clench the cable between your butt cheeks and squeeze real hard and lift with your legs..if that dont work..your fked..
sparky, skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:29 PM   #5

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

This handy unit will work for you

Old 04-23-2020, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
My first thought is that you are a dangerous person, adrenaline junkie.

My tip to you is to leave cleaning to someone who knows what they are doing and carries proper liability insurance instead of risking tens of thousands of dollars in repairs.

And here’s my other tip. Look at the very top right of this page and ask yourself if you are a qualified plumbing professional. If your answer is yes, read the site rules and post a proper intro.
To the only useful reply - Apologies for posting on this site. I actually thought i was posting on the diy site, which i was directed to after signing up for this site and reading the admin note. One too many windows open. I'll post there and kill this thread.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #7
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

The best story that I tell my customers. Some wanna be home owner rented a big drain machine for his mainline and guess what the cable pretzeled and severed a finger completely. Returning from the hospital with a missing finger he had to hire a plumber to clear the line.

Attached Images

skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The best story that I tell my customers. Some wanna be home owner rented a big drain machine for his mainline and guess what the cable pretzeled and severed a finger completely. Returning from the hospital with a missing finger he had to hire a plumber to clear the line.

I used a Ridgid glove and a 12" section of PVC to keep the length of exposed cable to less than 18 inches.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #9
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos

You must have a very big house since a vent stack is only requierd when fixtures are draining from more then 4 stories and if you knew that you would probably be able to figure out how to eel a main line. You got the right size cable just not the education. Best of luck !
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:04 PM   #10

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

you were on the right track at the end of your statement. you had the machine backwards. turn it around and shove the big black schlong down the drain. then run the cable through it. easy peasy
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to SchmitzPlumbing For This Useful Post:
sparky (04-24-2020)
Closed Thread