Is electric tankless WH worth it in this case - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Material and Products

Like Tree57Likes

Old 07-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #1

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos
Default Is electric tankless WH worth it in this case

I have a friend who has a bad 30 gallon electric tank water heater. He needs it replaced but its out in his farm shop so it does not get used much. He asked me about tankless and I told him a gas one was not going to be worth the cost of install and maintenance so I advised him against it. Normally I would advise against an electric one for a household but since this is not a household and it does not get much use im wondering if it might be one of the few cases where it makes sense?

Question 1: since there is already 240 electric in place is there a need for any electrical work to be done?

Question 2: if no electrical work is needed and it only gets little use would an electrical tankless at en extra cost of $300 be worth it financially over a new 30 gallon?

Question 3: what is your guys final opinion on this scenario?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2020, 06:03 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

what is the hot water for? and how much does he need when he uses it? is it just for a sink to wash hands?
Plumbus and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:49 PM   #3

View Toli's Photo Album My Photos

If whole house-

1)More than likely electrical work will need to be done. Possibly a larger service.

2) no benefits financially as far as Iím concerned.

3) my opinion- electric tankless are a problem.
Toli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2020, 08:00 PM   #4

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
Question 1: since there is already 240 electric in place is there a need for any electrical work to be done?

Question 2: if no electrical work is needed and it only gets little use would an electrical tankless at en extra cost of $300 be worth it financially over a new 30 gallon?

Question 3: what is your guys final opinion on this scenario?

In a case of seldom use an electric tank style water heater is almost always best.

Unless it's right next to the panel I wouldn't bother switching to electric tankless. The last time I looked at the graph for cable size for a 5 gpm tankless electric it was something like 35amps at 240 so 10 or 8awg wire. If you size the tankless for the existing double 30 and likely 12awg wire you'll be woefully under impressed.

The only upside to a tankless would be space and maybe less bacterial buildup. If he has city water or no bacterial issues I would just throw another 30 in there. It's cheaper, deals well with sediment and lime buildup, much easier to fix/replace.

The downsides to the tankless are several. They cost more, they run the elements at much higher temps so they are more prone to burn out and they will build up lime and mineral deposits worse than a gas tankless.

If you change to anything I would go for a 5 or 7 gallon 120v plug in model for handwashing.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:21 PM   #5

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos

The cost would most likely outweigh the benefit.
If it's just for a hand sink, then a little under sink unit might work, but even those need quite a few amps if you want to get a good dose of hot water.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
what is the hot water for? and how much does he need when he uses it? is it just for a sink to wash hands?
From my understanding its out in the shop on a farm and is only for a bathroom and a sink so no one really takes showers there so basically just the lav and a sink gets a little use.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:45 PM   #7

Quote:
From my understanding its out in the shop on a farm and is only for a bathroom and a sink so no one really takes showers there so basically just the lav and a sink gets a little use.

if its for a sink just throw in a point of use water heater for the sink, cheap and easy..something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Mini-Tank-Tronic-3000-ES4/dp/B0148O65IE/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1QMNQ6O5RZ9Z7&dchild=1&keywords=po int+of+use+hot+water+heater+under+sink&qid=1593996 310&sprefix=point+of+use+hot+water%2Caps%2C162&sr= 8-5

breplum and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #8

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Mini-Ta...s%2C162&sr=8-5

this sight suxs, you change the text size and links dont show
skoronesa likes this.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:48 PM   #9

Its my friends farm shop and I believe its just a bathroom and a sink. A small 6 gallon for a hand sink or 2 is not an option as there is a shower in the bathroom. I dont believe anyone uses the shower but its there and I would think OSHA probably would require it to work as they probably have some chemicals sitting around out there.

I am normally not a fan of tankless but thought this might be one of the times it would be a viable option. I have never put in an electric tankless so I did not know if they need any electrical work done or just hook up the existing 240.

I'll just replace it with a new 30 gallon to keep it simple.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Its my friends farm shop and I believe its just a bathroom and a sink. A small 6 gallon for a hand sink or 2 is not an option as there is a shower in the bathroom. I dont believe anyone uses the shower but its there and I would think OSHA probably would require it to work as they probably have some chemicals sitting around out there.

I am normally not a fan of tankless but thought this might be one of the times it would be a viable option. I have never put in an electric tankless so I did not know if they need any electrical work done or just hook up the existing 240.

I'll just replace it with a new 30 gallon to keep it simple.

I dont think osha cares if its hot water, any emergency shower I installed in the past was cold water, same for eye flushing stations...unless the code has changed .....as long as you have water coming out of the shower that should pass for washing chemicals off in an emergency..but you can call to find out..
Plumbus, skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.