Dielectric unions coming back to bite me. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Material and Products

Old 10-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #1

View Plumbersteve's Photo Album My Photos
Default Dielectric unions coming back to bite me.

The first time, I questioned myself. "Did I forget to tighten the dielectric on that water heater?" It seemed unlikely. After all, I've put in hundreds of water heaters. Why, all of a sudden, would I leave a dielectric loose? Either way, the dielectric union leaked and ruined the water heater as well as some wood trim and drywall. I took my lashes and henceforth agreed to fill out a checklist each time I installed a water heater that included items like; dielectric unions tight? Three flu screws in each joint? Drip leg on gas? And so on...

A month ago, I installed two water heaters in parallel. That's four dielectrics for those of you keeping score. At the end of the job, I went through my check list and verified each item which included putting pliers on the unions to make sure they were in fact tight.

Yesterday the customer called and said that the water heater was leaking. So, the boss went out to check it and found that ALL FOUR union nuts were barely more than hand tight.

Has this happened to any of you? Dielectric unions loosening up after about a month?
Plumbersteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
rwh

View rwh's Photo Album My Photos

Dielectrics suck in general. Don't use them
rwh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rwh For This Useful Post:
Gargalaxy (10-22-2015), gear junkie (10-22-2015), Master Mark (10-23-2015), Michaelcookplum (10-28-2015), Mpls Jay (05-09-2016), mtfallsmikey (11-17-2015), plumbdrum (10-22-2015), plumberkc (10-24-2015), plungerboy (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh View Post
Dielectrics suck in general. Don't use them

Ok. Are we not worried about corrosion? How do you circumvent the code requirement? What about WH warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
Ridgid tool user

View gear junkie's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbersteve View Post
Ok. Are we not worried about corrosion? How do you circumvent the code requirement? What about WH warranty?
What corrosion protection?
Attached Thumbnails
Dielectric unions coming back to bite me.-img_1037_1.jpg  

chonkie (10-24-2015), ChrisConnor (02-08-2016), dhal22 (10-22-2015), Gargalaxy (10-22-2015), Master Mark (11-15-2015), Mpls Jay (05-09-2016), mtfallsmikey (11-17-2015), OpenSights (10-22-2015), plumbdrum (10-22-2015), Plumbergeek (10-22-2015), plumberkc (10-24-2015), Rexticle (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:11 PM   #5

View plumber11928's Photo Album My Photos

Just wondering if you use thread sealant on the threads. My plumbing mentor back in the day always said to me i'm buying the pipe dope, so use it on anything that has threads. Pipe dope is cheap...Leaks are expensive
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to plumber11928 For This Useful Post:
Gargalaxy (10-23-2015), Master Mark (02-11-2016), mtfallsmikey (11-17-2015), OpenSights (10-22-2015), Phat Cat (10-23-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #6

View Cajunhiker's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbersteve
The first time, I questioned myself. "Did I forget to tighten the dielectric on that water heater?" ... Has this happened to any of you? Dielectric unions loosening up after about a month?
Short answer: No.

Almost sounds like sabotage.

I know this: you have to do something different so you can get a better result. Try switching to a different manufacturer AND as mentioned above, put thread sealant on your threads. If it happens again, it's definitely sabotage.
bowta360 (02-06-2016)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

I can't say I ever had a "backing off" problem over time with dielectrics in general, though, yeah sometimes heat, cold, expansion, contraction happens. I've had call backs on them, but probably ten times in ten years maybe? I normally buy dielectrics from Builders or Crawford Supply (As it shows on my card), but I did have a run in with bad dielectrics from Ferg's once. One whole box leaked right on install.

I only use 'em because of swap value. Replace the gasket and m/f. Lets just say Apallo style furnace/heater is bad for MI. 3 years max life.

Dope, think of it as not just a sealer on a thread, but as a lubricant to tighten threads tighter, barring braided supplies of course.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
mtfallsmikey (11-17-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 10:49 PM   #8

I didn't ask whether or not you used them. I asked if you had trouble with them.

I do use dope and I tighten them to the right.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:58 PM   #9
rwh

View rwh's Photo Album My Photos

Dielectrics are junk. They have a rubber washer in them. They are junk just like "terminator" valves, which utilize an o ring. Pipe dope is for pipe threads. Not union faces or threads. Use a good anti seize compound on union threads. Approved for the application, of course. Use plumber's grease on compression joints.
rwh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rwh For This Useful Post:
Mpls Jay (05-09-2016), mtfallsmikey (11-17-2015), OpenSights (10-24-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 08:21 AM   #10
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

SS steel Brass Craft connectors on top of the water heater work a lot better than dialectric unions....

why do you need dialectric unions when the water ehater already had dialectric nipples installed into the tanks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
Mpls Jay (05-09-2016), mtfallsmikey (11-17-2015), OpenSights (10-24-2015)