Counter strike “snap fit” fittings. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Material and Products

Like Tree26Likes

Old 03-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
I aint CPV see in it?

View ROCKSTARPLUMBER's Photo Album My Photos
Default Counter strike “snap fit” fittings.

So got some of these sent out to a job site in place of auto flare with no warning from supplier that there has been a change. Mind you I don’t use this stuff too often but in this application it just made since with the amount of repeated drops in this particular project. Holy cow did my guys really have a hard time with them trying to install like an auto flare. Leak city. Took all 84 of them out and returned to supplier for auto flare fittings. These auto snap are an accident waiting to happen. I’d say less than a 1/16th of an inch of seal with the auto snap. Wasn’t impressed. If anything horrified that this **** is in countless homes around here.
ROCKSTARPLUMBER is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #2

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I ran some black CSST recently. Counter strike maybe? I can't recall. But for the outside gas line, I used galvanized and converted to the CSST under the building's crawl space.

I'm not familiar with the product that you're speaking about. But then again, I'm not installing much gas these days, just occasional repairs.

That's why we test. Thanks for the input.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #3

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
I ran some black CSST recently. Counter strike maybe? I can't recall. But for the outside gas line, I used galvanized and converted to the CSST under the building's crawl space.

I'm not familiar with the product that you're speaking about. But then again, I'm not installing much gas these days, just occasional repairs.

He means these in the video as opposed to the ones where you put the nut on then the two halves, and then the fitting. They do look kind of hokey. The best way is to just run black iron the whole way instead of this garbage.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
I aint CPV see in it?

View ROCKSTARPLUMBER's Photo Album My Photos

What concerns me is A, ccst is a delicate material, 2, no one is suppose to be able to buy the products or materials without presenting a card to the supplier showing you are an approved and tested installer, C, even the auto flare fittings are a PITA sometimes. But it is a true flared connection once installed properly. These auto snaps do not flare. It’s more of a centered squish of the pipe resulting of a tiny inward flare of the pipe.

Our local rep for the distribution of this material is an old co worker of mine from way back. I spoke with him about these fittings last week and I was told they were pulled from the shelves for defects a while back and they these are a newer design. Also he mentioned that we should not have received them in my order unless I showed proof of training for these new fittings.
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
ROCKSTARPLUMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCKSTARPLUMBER For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 12:14 AM   #5

View roving plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post

"Flash Sheild" is probably what it was, the new version of the yellow csst. I actually like the Flash Sheild, especially after getting the 2 step jacket cutting tool (cheap investment for properly cutting the jacket and sheilding)
I tried to help a guy fix some issues he was having with some of the yellow csst from home depot, that stuff is junk (IMHO)
roving plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roving plumber For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 09:28 AM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

i use black iron for gas lines whenever i can, im not a big fan of running the csst in walls or under anything where it can be punctured by a stray nail or screw or someone with a long drill thats running an alarm wire or some other wire..
but about 6 or 7 years ago i used it in a tight crawl space to run gas to a stove in an existing kitchen, they went from electric to gas, so no gas pipe any place close, ran about 50 ft of the csst, bought from the supply house, yellow covering, it was a life saver to install in such a tight area and it was left exposed so it can be seen..trying to use black pipe would have taken 10x the amount of time, i followed the directions for the end fittings and had no issue with leaks...
but i can see how this would be the pex of the gas lines and for speed of installation on larger projects it would save some big money on labor, but needs to be installed correctly..
GAN and skoronesa like this.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #7

View 89plumbum's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
i use black iron for gas lines whenever i can, im not a big fan of running the csst in walls or under anything where it can be punctured by a stray nail or screw or someone with a long drill thats running an alarm wire or some other wire..
but about 6 or 7 years ago i used it in a tight crawl space to run gas to a stove in an existing kitchen, they went from electric to gas, so no gas pipe any place close, ran about 50 ft of the csst, bought from the supply house, yellow covering, it was a life saver to install in such a tight area and it was left exposed so it can be seen..trying to use black pipe would have taken 10x the amount of time, i followed the directions for the end fittings and had no issue with leaks...
but i can see how this would be the pex of the gas lines and for speed of installation on larger projects it would save some big money on labor, but needs to be installed correctly..
I know where your coming from and agree with you, but BI is not always safe as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Counter strike “snap fit” fittings.-3a366e3b-14db-4fb4-8e53-9cfc4cb662e8.jpg  

Counter strike “snap fit” fittings.-185316a5-e317-4415-ba16-78eedb8201bd.jpg  

skoronesa and Tango like this.
89plumbum is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 89plumbum For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #8

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89plumbum View Post
I know where your coming from and agree with you, but BI is not always safe as well.

lol..well it takes a bigger moron to keep drilling through thick BL than thin SS...one would think to stop and look when the drill bit slowed down to a stop..
chonkie, skoronesa and Tango like this.
89plumbum (03-06-2019), dhal22 (03-07-2019), Tommy plumber (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roving plumber View Post
"Flash Sheild" is probably what it was, the new version of the yellow csst. I actually like the Flash Sheild, especially after getting the 2 step jacket cutting tool (cheap investment for properly cutting the jacket and sheilding)
I tried to help a guy fix some issues he was having with some of the yellow csst from home depot, that stuff is junk (IMHO)

Yes that is the same stuff {obviously I don't use it much....LOL}. But I bought that little yellow 2-step stripping tool that you're referring to.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
lol..well it takes a bigger moron to keep drilling through thick BL than thin SS...one would think to stop and look when the drill bit slowed down to a stop..

Or when the drill bit comes back smoking & red-hot! And on top of that, after the guy drilling was pushing as hard as he could!...…LOL….
skoronesa and ShtRnsdownhill like this.
89plumbum (03-06-2019)