Any thoughts about ZLine brand ranges? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Material and Products

Like Tree15Likes

Old 04-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #1

View chonkie's Photo Album My Photos
Default Any thoughts about ZLine brand ranges?

My mom is remodeling her house and was asking me about the ZLine brand of gas range/electric oven. Do any of yall have any experience with them? As far as the nicer more expensive range/ovens, I've only really installed Wolf or Viking in the homes we build. They seem to have good reviews online, but I am usually wary of online reviews in general. Then again, nothing real bad has stood out to me in the reviews I have seen. Oh, Thor is another one she asked me about, I've only installed a few outdoor grills from Thor and they seemed to be pretty good quality. So any input about Thor range/ovens will also be appreciated.
chonkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonkie View Post
My mom is remodeling her house and was asking me about the ZLine brand of gas range/electric oven. Do any of yall have any experience with them?......

Well call me stupid, but why not ask an appliance repair guy?

If another tradesman called me or stopped me in the supply house and said "Hey guy, I hear you're the most knowledgeable repair guy around, I have to buy a stove for my mother and she wants x, y, or z, what do you think?", I would be flattered and feel compelled to give the guy a thorough answer.

I'd also prolly have a 5$ bill in my pocket ready to tip him when he's done explaining. What's the worst that happens? He's either too busy to talk or he'll feel flattered and probably speak good or better about you after the fact.

We have another old plumbing/heating company in town that does appliances. We don't stock them and we will only install them, when it comes to fixing them or picking one out we refer them to this other local company. In return they send a lot of snaking work our way, woohoo, I am over joyed

Tango likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:45 PM   #3

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

If another tradesman called me or stopped me in the supply house and said "Hey guy, I hear you're the most knowledgeable repair guy around, I have to buy a stove for my mother and she wants x, y, or z, what do you think?", I would be flattered and feel compelled to give the guy a thorough answer.

I'd also prolly have a 5$ bill in my pocket ready to tip him when he's done explaining. What's the worst that happens? He's either too busy to talk or he'll feel flattered and probably speak good or better about you after the fact.

We have another old plumbing/heating company in town that does appliances. We don't stock them and we will only install them, when it comes to fixing them or picking one out we refer them to this other local company. In return they send a lot of snaking work our way, woohoo, I am over joyed

ok stupid.................................

cause maybe this aint an appliance repair forum?????

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2020, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:

Did you ever think that maybe I am looking for the opinion of people that install them? Ever think that a repair guy might lie about one brand that they don't service so you buy the brand they do service? Or maybe they recommend the sh!tty brand they do service that way they potentially get more work?

I was just asking here since plumbers install them, figured maybe someone here has experience installing them. Maybe they would be able to tell me if they have issues with them or not during the install stage, kinda like how I don't service or repair Kohler, but I also don't recommend that people buy most of Kohler's products because they over complicate simple things, their quality has gone down in my opinion, and they are, for the most part, overpriced.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
cause maybe this aint an appliance repair forum?????
Good point, and I'm not keen on joining an appliance repair forum, since they may be like we are here and tell me to piss off unless I'm in the appliance repair union.
GAN and Tango like this.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Did you ever think that maybe I am looking for the opinion of people that install them? Ever think that a repair guy might lie about one brand that they don't service so you buy the brand they do service? Or maybe they recommend the sh!tty brand they do service that way they potentially get more work?

I was just asking here since plumbers install them, figured maybe someone here has experience installing them. Maybe they would be able to tell me if they have issues with them or not during the install stage, kinda like how I don't service or repair Kohler, but I also don't recommend that people buy most of Kohler's products because they over complicate simple things, their quality has gone down in my opinion, and they are, for the most part, overpriced.

I sense a little hostility and I just want you to know I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, just make a bad joke.

Usually the people who repair them also install them. Didn't seem like the guys on here install a lot of appliances because they never bring it up. I didn't know you had that much of a trust issue with your local appliance repairmen.

Well, if there's one thing I have learned here it's that you guys live in a much more dog eat dog world than I do. I wouldn't hesitate to walk into our competitors shop and ask advice on appliances since we only install them. I figured you wanted to know how good they are after the fact since most seem to install pretty much the same.

chonkie likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
Old 04-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Good point, and I'm not keen on joining an appliance repair forum, since they may be like we are here and tell me to piss off unless I'm in the appliance repair union.
just lie like im sure some of the people here do, that join. doesnt last too long once they start asking stupid questions any plumbing helper would know..but give it a shot...
chonkie and Tango like this.
Old 04-01-2020, 10:02 PM   #8

Quote:
I sense a little hostility and I just want you to know I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, just make a bad joke.

Usually the people who repair them also install them. Didn't seem like the guys on here install a lot of appliances because they never bring it up. I didn't know you had that much of a trust issue with your local appliance repairmen.

Well, if there's one thing I have learned here it's that you guys live in a much more dog eat dog world than I do. I wouldn't hesitate to walk into our competitors shop and ask advice on appliances since we only install them. I figured you wanted to know how good they are after the fact since most seem to install pretty much the same.

what???? you dont install stoves, stove tops, dishwashers,washing machines, dryers, ice makers and insta hots... you never finished a kitchen?
Old 04-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #9

Yeah, there was just a little bit of hostility behind it, mainly due to the fact I read your post as being a little hostile. Like I was stupid for asking here. It's all good though, no hate here. And I've been the person to install most of the appliances in the homes we build, unless it's a built in electric oven, built in microwave, fridge, washer/dryer unless it's a gas dryer. I've had to install most all other appliances.

I don't know any repair men. But as an installer, I do like to think that I can tell the initial quality of a brand based on many factors. Like the feel of something, like how a faucet if it is a light plastic piece of crap or a nice heavy one. Also the quality of the finish, like chrome, some can be kind of wavy or uneven, which kind of tells me how much time was spent towards the base finish work of the metal, since that is what is basically showing through. The one brand I have recommended that she look at for lav faucets is Kraus, because all of the ones I have installed I felt were way above other brands when it comes to all those little things I look for that tell me quality and care in what they do. The same with their procelain sinks, much better quality control in the base forms and the glazing finish than anything from Kohler. And Kraus isn't even high priced compared to most things that are.

As far as appliances, I can usually give an opinion on quality of brands I've installed from the fit and finish of things that most won't notice, even a repair person. Engineering and design of how things are put together and how the install goes. How good are the bends in stainless, or if there are welds how good are they. If it is somewhat flimsy compared to others. Are some parts not lined up quite right with other joining parts, but still just good enough to pass. Quality of their instructions and the owners manual. All of those things can help lead my mind to if a brand is quality.

I do like to know how something is to use in day to day scenarios and how they hold up.
I told her to look for reviews that talk about that, because she has been looking at some funky waterfall spout faucets. The ones she looked at, I had to show her to concentrate on reviews by the people that actually spent time on writing a comprehensive review on what it was like to use. Not just all of the people that put one line saying it looks great. Once she started doing that, she noticed that the ones she had picked out, the real reviews showed that the faucets were a pain in the butt to use every day, like for brushing teeth, to it not splattering, or some on how well the flow control is to not have it gushing out by barely turning it on because there is little handle movement, and then when they try to lower the flow, there is uneven flow spread so it is difficult to wash your hands. Little things like that.
skoronesa and ShtRnsdownhill like this.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
what???? you dont install stoves, stove tops, dishwashers,washing machines, dryers, ice makers and insta hots... you never finished a kitchen?

Me personally? No. I have installed all of the above but not on a single jobsite. I do 99% service work. I have replaced quite a number of dishwashers. I am on a jobsite maybe once a month, and almost never a full day. I haven't roughed a full bathroom since I was a helper. The boss knows I can do anything he asks but we have so many guys we each have our own unique job descriptions. We have two guys who fix water softeners, I don't think any of the other guys has ever taken one apart while with us. Only 3 guys carry well pump control boxes, all of us service guys have pressure switches.

My duties are as follows;
-drains
-fixture swaps
-leaks(mostly facuets/hosebibbs/old valves)
-water filters
-salt delivery(not so much anymore)
-chlorinations & bacterial sampling
-dishwasher swaps
-Funny/septic smells-mostly your ex-wife's house
-and a bunch of other odd/weird jobs
-lastly, and certinaly the least, newcon/reno

Most of the newcon here, the gc will have his guys physically move the washer and dryer to location and we will hook up the water and exhaust. The counter guys will set the range and we hook gas to it. The carpenter or us will set the hood and we hook up the duct. Gas in wall oven will be fitted by the carpenter and we will pull it out and hook up the gas. If it's a gas range we slide it in, I did one a couple weeks ago. Other than washer, dryer, and dishwasher, if it's electric we don't usually touch it. Most of the new construction i is really high end homes with the kind of appliances that the carpenter has to custom fit so they take up a lot of the slack.

For appliance swap outs around here it's usually the big box stores who include install with delivery or the other local company I mentioned. Occasionally we will get a customer who has had a bad experience with those two and wants us to do the swap. The institutions we handle like the public and private schools, and medical facilities, they have us do all the swaps that include plumbing and their maintenance guys do the rest. Only one of the local schools actually has electricians/plumbers/hvac guys who do 99% of their in house service work. We get 99% of their reno/newcon jobs for them though. They pinch pennies where they can but they know we have the know how and the manpower to get it done while the kids are gone and we are 15 mins away when it needs service.

I do know that in our area the trades work a little differently than many other places. For instance non of our guys do tile/drywall/painting though we have a couple who have done it professionally. Also, even though we have statewide licensing the licensing department never comes to our 45 minute radius including about 8 small towns because all the companies here have been here for decades and never get complaints. All of our helpers are signed up as apprentices and the building inspectors don't even pretend to know near as much as the tradesmen. Most of the towns share the same 2 or 3 inspectors who frequently sub for each other as well. The few one, two, or three man shops are offshoots of us big guys and employees sometimes swap between the companies. Everyone knows everyone else and is often related, blood, marriage, or otherwise. I'd say 60% of the licensed tradesmen for the whole area come from the town I live in.

To give you a chuckle, I will even risk saying that the environment is very "incestuous" in a metaphorical sort of way.

chonkie likes this.