Rheem gas storage HWS flame rollouts - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Pictures

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MASTRPLUMB
  • 2 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 1 Post By Tango
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 03:08 AM   #1

View Lindsayoldfart's Photo Album My Photos
Default Rheem gas storage HWS flame rollouts

Most flame rollouts are due to blocked flues but not this one. Standard request of "re-light my HWS please" It's 3 degrees this Melb morning and I light the pilot and wait 30 seconds turn SIT Controller to No 4, main burner lights no problem. I hang about for 10 mins and burner starts spluttering and running rough and then the access door at bottom explodes off followed by a metre long flame roll out. The gas fed fire is raging around heater door opening melting plastic surround of drain cock and SIT Control box...I kill the gas supply quickly. I pull burner and pilot assembly out and check the tinny pressed metal main burner,,it's full of water because there's a pinhole leak in inbuilt flue pipe up the centre of main burner. It doesn't leak when unit is cold..only when heating as hole expands. Once burner is full of water the gas can't burn as it should around burner;s edge but it fills every nook and cranny of heater cavity under cylinder and it's ignited by the pilot which is unaffected by the small leak. Rheem dismissed my concerns stating never heard of it b4. Gas Safety authorities referred me back to manufacturer, I emailed Master Plumbers and await response, The fault is in cheap burner design as it's dished and has 4 x10mm holes that feed water straight into main burner and 2 tiny and I mean tiny drain holes that block up with dust and can;t stop water filling entire main burner up. If the 4 holes in burner ring have to be there then they should be higher than outer edge of burner to prevent water entry. There are 1000s of these burners in use now but it only takes the stars to align the wrong way and you have a house fire. Just because these set of circumstances are rare it doesn't mean it won't happen again. If I had not hung about for 10 mins after lighting the hottie...the house would be gone now.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 04:37 AM   #2

View MASTRPLUMB's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation

An intro is requested from all new members. In case you missed it, here is the link. https://www.plumbingzone.com/f3/.

The PZ is for Plumbing Professionals ( those engaged in the plumbing profession)

Post an intro and tell our members where you are from, yrs in the trade, and your area(s) of expertise in the plumbing field.

This info helps members who are waiting to welcome you to the best plumbing site there is.

We look forward to your valuable input.
skoronesa likes this.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #3

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsayoldfart View Post
Most flame rollouts are due to blocked flues but not this one. Standard request of "re-light my HWS please" It's 3 degrees this Melb morning and I light the pilot and wait 30 seconds turn SIT Controller to No 4, main burner lights no problem. I hang about for 10 mins and burner starts spluttering and running rough and then the access door at bottom explodes off followed by a metre long flame roll out. The gas fed fire is raging around heater door opening melting plastic surround of drain cock and SIT Control box...I kill the gas supply quickly. I pull burner and pilot assembly out and check the tinny pressed metal main burner,,it's full of water because there's a pinhole leak in inbuilt flue pipe up the centre of main burner. It doesn't leak when unit is cold..only when heating as hole expands. Once burner is full of water the gas can't burn as it should around burner;s edge but it fills every nook and cranny of heater cavity under cylinder and it's ignited by the pilot which is unaffected by the small leak. Rheem dismissed my concerns stating never heard of it b4. Gas Safety authorities referred me back to manufacturer, I emailed Master Plumbers and await response, The fault is in cheap burner design as it's dished and has 4 x10mm holes that feed water straight into main burner and 2 tiny and I mean tiny drain holes that block up with dust and can;t stop water filling entire main burner up. If the 4 holes in burner ring have to be there then they should be higher than outer edge of burner to prevent water entry. There are 1000s of these burners in use now but it only takes the stars to align the wrong way and you have a house fire. Just because these set of circumstances are rare it doesn't mean it won't happen again. If I had not hung about for 10 mins after lighting the hottie...the house would be gone now.
I get a massive flame rollout after a good bowl of baked beans..pitty the a$$wade standing behind me when one of those roll outs come along...come to think of it you sound like one of them...
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Looks like you are mad scientist tinkerer. Typing something at 2 in the morning says a lot.

Since anything we type here you'll probably bring it to the UN as a global threat and ask a coalition force.

This one is going to be closed right now.
skoronesa likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
MASTRPLUMB (07-01-2019)
Closed Thread