My most complex job to date. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Pictures


Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By ECH
  • 1 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 1 Post By Debo22
  • 3 Post By ECH
  • 1 Post By skoronesa
  • 1 Post By MASTRPLUMB
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
ECH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 159

View ECH's Photo Album My Photos
Default My most complex job to date.

Two 50 gallon Apollo heaters, both serving different hvac units. Developed length of piping for domestic supply was balanced well enough that the heater on the left purged out the open t and p 10 seconds after the right purged. I sold this, total cost was around $8500, myself and another tech finished it in a day.

I still don't understand posting pictures on this forum, the picture is right side up on my desktop, and when I upload it, I see no way to right it.

Thanks for the help mods
Attached Thumbnails
My most complex job to date.-img_0876.jpg  

OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
ECH is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Quebec
Posts: 4,039

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

This is only based on my experience so it may not work for you.

If you upload pictures from your phone onto a PC and are sideways they will stay sideways even you rotate them after. You have to save them upright before you do anything else or open with paint, turn them and save.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,546

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

if they are both 50 gal appollo heaters why is one taller than the other, and if they run independent of each other what does balancing the piping have anything todo with the install? if the same heater why are the front controls different?
Attached Images
 
skoronesa likes this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-02-2019, 10:09 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Fatpat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 577

View Fatpat's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Looks like the one on the right is a power vent
Fatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:45 PM   #5
Super Moderator
 
OpenSights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 4,681

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Different codes for different states. No combustible material within 6” of a conventional vent. Think I saw a few others that wouldn’t pass here. But nice looking work!
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:26 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Debo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,108

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Different codes for different states. No combustible material within 6” of a conventional vent. Think I saw a few others that wouldn’t pass here. But nice looking work!
6” from combustibles with single wall vent connector, 1” from combustibles with double wall B vent
OpenSights likes this.
Debo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:41 PM   #7
ECH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 159

View ECH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
if they are both 50 gal appollo heaters why is one taller than the other, and if they run independent of each other what does balancing the piping have anything todo with the install? if the same heater why are the front controls different?
One is a direct vent, on a standard vent, I assume the height difference is the plenum at top and or bottom for the combustion air. The one on the right is the direct vent, penetrating the right exterior wall of the garage. The other one simply wouldn't reach, and the builder/plumber put them that way rather than both along the right wall, presumably for more car space I guess.

The side taps on the heater, feeds heated water to the air handler of the hvac system, and then back again, resulting in a net zero pressure gain or loss. Each of these heaters fed a different air handler, one in first floor, one for second.

When hot water is run from a faucet, there will be cold water coming into the heater/s.

In this case, and the reason for the original call, the piping was installed in series, with the right heater taking nearly all the work of heating the cold water since it went in there first, then hot water from the right heater fed the left heater. So the right one failed, and the left one was functioning, but was nearing the end of it's life.

So the (domestic) inlet and outlet piping, needs to be as close as possible, so when a hot tap is opened, both heaters are working equally to heat up the water.

Not to mention, the tempering valve had to be put in there with a cold inlet, a hot inlet, and the hot supply to the house.

So things had to be planned so that the cold feed to the tempering valve didn't interfere with the balanced cold run to the heaters. And likewise, the balanced hot coming from the heaters, had to get back to the hot inlet of the tempering valve. And of course, the piping off the heaters had to be copper or brass for 18in for code.

Not too difficult a concept, but was difficult to bring to life, based on available space, and all the other side loop piping. And the fact that I have been a Plumber for 10 months

I have no idea why the front controls are different, both were gotten at Furguson, since we don't stock "Apollos" at our shop anymore.
ECH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECH For This Useful Post:
rooterboy (04-10-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 11:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,179

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I want to thank you for insulating everything.






.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:43 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 21

View MASTRPLUMB's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECH View Post
One is a direct vent, on a standard vent, I assume the height difference is the plenum at top and or bottom for the combustion air. The one on the right is the direct vent, penetrating the right exterior wall of the garage. The other one simply wouldn't reach, and the builder/plumber put them that way rather than both along the right wall, presumably for more car space I guess.

The side taps on the heater, feeds heated water to the air handler of the hvac system, and then back again, resulting in a net zero pressure gain or loss. Each of these heaters fed a different air handler, one in first floor, one for second.

When hot water is run from a faucet, there will be cold water coming into the heater/s.

In this case, and the reason for the original call, the piping was installed in series, with the right heater taking nearly all the work of heating the cold water since it went in there first, then hot water from the right heater fed the left heater. So the right one failed, and the left one was functioning, but was nearing the end of it's life.

So the (domestic) inlet and outlet piping, needs to be as close as possible, so when a hot tap is opened, both heaters are working equally to heat up the water.

Not to mention, the tempering valve had to be put in there with a cold inlet, a hot inlet, and the hot supply to the house.

So things had to be planned so that the cold feed to the tempering valve didn't interfere with the balanced cold run to the heaters. And likewise, the balanced hot coming from the heaters, had to get back to the hot inlet of the tempering valve. And of course, the piping off the heaters had to be copper or brass for 18in for code.

Not too difficult a concept, but was difficult to bring to life, based on available space, and all the other side loop piping. And the fact that I have been a Plumber for 10 months

I have no idea why the front controls are different, both were gotten at Ferguson, since we don't stock "Apollos" at our shop anymore.
The reason for the difference in the two heaters is most likely the MFG, dates
one was made to the old style standards and the other one to to the new standards, plus one is regular vent and the other direct vent !
Tango likes this.
MASTRPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apartment complex Marvincena54 Residential Plumbing 6 03-12-2019 08:32 AM
Found this on Google check the date PLUMBER_BILL Business, Marketing, and Sales 2 08-13-2018 01:57 PM
Lochinvar date chart plungerboy Plumbing Material and Products 0 05-17-2016 08:34 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com