I'm just going to leave this here - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Pictures

Like Tree11Likes

Old 06-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #1

View hanzkunzel's Photo Album My Photos
Default I'm just going to leave this here

I just got to a call and saw this. It was too good not to put it on here. (Complaint of a bad smell coming from kitchen) hahahaha
Attached Thumbnails
I'm just going to leave this here-20190628_085615_1561731250254_1561731818915.jpeg  

hanzkunzel is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

You may want to check out this thread :

https://www.plumbingzone.com/f7/winners-65210/
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
hanzkunzel (06-28-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 10:36 AM   #3

View Standard Drain's Photo Album My Photos

is that a 3 inch stack i see?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 11:38 AM   #4

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard Drain View Post
is that a 3 inch stack i see?
That sure looks like a 3" drain. Except for the obvious mess. That is the most common way around here to do a kitchen island. Run 3" and a 3"X1-1/2" tee with a fitting clean out on top of the tee. There are 2 ways for us to do an island sink. This way with 3" over to a stack vent or the foot loop island vent (the one that goes up and turns back down). The 3" method is what most around here prefers. You just come up in the back corner of the cabinet and then tee over to the drain

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #5

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
That sure looks like a 3" drain. Except for the obvious mess. That is the most common way around here to do a kitchen island. Run 3" and a 3"X1-1/2" tee with a fitting clean out on top of the tee. There are 2 ways for us to do an island sink. This way with 3" over to a stack vent or the foot loop island vent (the one that goes up and turns back down). The 3" method is what most around here prefers. You just come up in the back corner of the cabinet and then tee over to the drain

I get that the 3" allows enough room for the water and the air so the lack of a vent isn't an issue but being 3" it must clog easily. Bow venting(the loop you describe) is really the best method for islands.

A couple towns over there is this inspector of almost 30 years, he used to be a plumber. In his whole time as an inspector he has only allowed two autovents. His motto is that there is always a way to run a second pipe for a bow vent and he is right.

Besides, two 1-1/2" lines side by side will fit through a 2x4 wall, running that 3" is probably more of a pain most times.

MASTRPLUMB likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #6

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
I get that the 3" allows enough room for the water and the air so the lack of a vent isn't an issue but being 3" it must clog easily. Bow venting(the loop you describe) is really the best method for islands.

A couple towns over there is this inspector of almost 30 years, he used to be a plumber. In his whole time as an inspector he has only allowed two autovents. His motto is that there is always a way to run a second pipe for a bow vent and he is right.

Besides, two 1-1/2" lines side by side will fit through a 2x4 wall, running that 3" is probably more of a pain most times.

An inspector "has allowed" AAV's? Who the hell is he to turn down something if it is approved?

I've seen 3" stacks under sinks here in FL with an AAV on them. The 3" comes up through the bottom of the cabinet, so the 3" stack does not have to be able to fit in a 4" wall since it's never inside the wall.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #7

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
Who the hell is he to turn down something if it is approved?

The local code in that area stated something to the effect of the plumber must prove that an aav is needed and that they can't run a bow vent or normal vent. He was only allowed to approve aavs if there was no other way.

So yeah aavs meet upc but the AHJ decided they weren't good enough. Frankly I agree. I have done enough drain cleaning to know that aavs don't allow proper flow and promote build up/clogging. They might be great for new construction cost wise but they are a terrible thing to do all the time. They will cause multiple costly issues over the life of the home/plumbing system.

MASTRPLUMB likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #8

View hanzkunzel's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

It's really cool that this was brought up and you are exactly right that older plumbers would agree on this. Here in Arkansas we are running off the 2006 state plumbing code books and Section 913 where bow drains are detailed is marked as Deleted. I actually took section 913 from the 2003 International Plumbing Code and slipped it into my code book so I would have that reference in case I needed it.

Now for my own experience I am a firm believer in 3in stacks for the island sinks. I've never had one clog up fully. When I do come by a (rare) clog you just plug up the basket strainer side and juice that disposal and it pops right on open. (And this is after checking all connections under sink and verifying all looks good and tight)

As for autovents, strangely enough as of last year 3in Autovents were approved to vent entire groups as long as you had at least one outside penetrating 3in vent for the entire building. In my opinion it is insanely retarded, but hey, gotta let them Lowes special people get in on some plumbing action.
hanzkunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hanzkunzel For This Useful Post:
MASTRPLUMB (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #9

Quote:

Actually running that 3" has always been the easiest way.

("Being 3" it must clog easily") no I don't believe it clogs easily. I have only had to unclog 1 of those drains before. I would personally take the 3" over the loop vent if it was my own house.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Dane For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
An inspector "has allowed" AAV's? Who the hell is he to turn down something if it is approved?

I've seen 3" stacks under sinks here in FL with an AAV on them. The 3" comes up through the bottom of the cabinet, so the 3" stack does not have to be able to fit in a 4" wall since it's never inside the wall.
Inspectors can easily turn down AAV if it is not code. I work in both ND and MN and in both AAV is absolutely illegal to use. Not to mention that that local inspector might be going by the locally adopted code and not the state standard.

Absolutely right the the 3" comes up through the floor so no worries about running in a 2x4 wall.

skoronesa likes this.