Work history and company reputation - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree34Likes

Old 07-12-2018, 12:37 AM   #1

View DarwinsFarm's Photo Album My Photos

After a few months of pestering every plumbing company in Austin I finally found my first helper/apprentice job. They had me come in for an interview the same day they called me back from a resume I sent in. It all happened so fast. I start Monday.
After they offered me the job and sent me to a lab for a UA I went and did a little more research on the company. Their reviews are really bad. The good ones look really fake.. Like they are trying to dilute their online poor reviews with their own fake ones, just a suspicion.
I saw an ad they posted for journeyman in a TX Plumbers Facebook group. The post was flooded with literally 20+ comments from local plumbers bashing the company.. Talking about how terrible they are. Some comments about it being a terrible place to work (commission pay/lack of work/terrible owner/management) but some about the quality of the work as well.

So I'm thinking either this is an opportunity for me in that they are kinda desperate, apparently, or this is the wrong way to start my career. What I am wondering is if I am going to have a hard time moving to a better company or Union (preferred) with a company on my resume that has a bad reputation in TX (3 locations in 3 cities).
Ill grind out a ****ty work situation for 6 months to a year if it will get my foot in the door of a plumbing career, but I don't want to tarnish my own reputation and limit my appeal to other employers in the future. Or maybe it is all noise and a good place to learn and work..
DarwinsFarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2018, 12:40 AM   #2

God I hope my boss or coworkers aren't on this forum. Haha. That would be damn awkward..
Old 07-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos

Its hard to find an employer whos willing to take someone in with no experiance " but how do you get experiance if nobody gives you a chance" that whole cycle.

Personally i would take it, get signed up as an apprentice learn what you can. Youll find out for yourself if its good or a bad place then you can move on but atleast then you can say " im a registerd apprentice with some experiance and im just looking for a better company to learn from"
GAN, chonkie and MACPLUMB777 like this.
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canuck92 For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (08-11-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #4

View exclamation's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
Its hard to find an employer whos willing to take someone in with no experiance " but how do you get experiance if nobody gives you a chance" that whole cycle.

Personally i would take it, get signed up as an apprentice learn what you can. Youll find out for yourself if its good or a bad place then you can move on but atleast then you can say " im a registerd apprentice with some experiance and im just looking for a better company to learn from"
^^ this
exclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.
You don't think future employers will avoid hiring me because of where my experience comes from? That is all I am worried about.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
canuckPlumBbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinsFarm View Post
Quote:

You don't think future employers will avoid hiring me because of where my experience comes from? That is all I am worried about.

Nah most of us all know eachother in our cities an we know whos a hack an who gives a sh*t about the work.
So leaving for better ...im sure they would understand. Or you could just say " looking for more experiance"
chonkie and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
canuckPlumBbob

Also there two sides to every story, we had an ex employee leave a bad google reveiw cause he got fierd for stealing whip cream from a grocery store with company clothes on.
Also some customers can be impossible to please. So its always best to form your own opinon then go from there...dont let bad google reveiws keep your from getting into a great career !!
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to canuck92 For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (08-11-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #8

View exclamation's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinsFarm View Post
Quote:

I would think most people would understand if you had something like “looking for a better work environment” or “don’t like company ethics” etc listed as your reason for leaving - just be ready to answer a question about it if it came up
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
exclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:18 AM   #9

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Also there two sides to every story, we had an ex employee leave a bad google reveiw cause he got fierd for stealing whip cream from a grocery store with company clothes on.
Also some customers can be impossible to please. So its always best to form your own opinon then go from there...dont let bad google reveiws keep your from getting into a great career !!
I'm trying to remember another thread where the apprentices ate all the ice cream in a homeowner's freezer or something along those lines. Was that your story too?
Old 07-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #10

View tim666's Photo Album My Photos

Bad reputation is not normally transferred to an apprentice. However if you pick up bad habits from a bad company it will be hard to break you of them
dhal22 and MACPLUMB777 like this.
tim666 is online now   Reply With Quote